• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Golden Cross, Erdington.

I'm assuming that it was just a track as I think most of the roads around there were. It would have just been ploughed up when the common was divided I expect. I see Jerry's Lane has lost it's little extension - this became a right of way into Glendon Road.

I'm assuming that it was just a track as I think most of the roads around there were. It would have just been ploughed up when the common was divided I expect. I see Jerry's Lane has lost it's little extension - this became a right of way into Glendon Road.
Lady P
Do you know how Court Lane got its Name? was there not also a Court Farm Road or is this something I am imagining. sorry when I lived there I had no interest in the history of the area.

Bob Davis

Bob, I think Court Farm was about where the island is at the top of Jerry's Lane. It's marked on one of my maps but not the others. But whether it was 'Court' because of the Road or vice versa I don't know. Court Lane is among the oldest in Erdington apparently.

Bob, I think Court Farm was about where the island is at the top of Jerry's Lane. It's marked on one of my maps but not the others. But whether it was 'Court' because of the Road or vice versa I don't know. Court Lane is among the oldest in Erdington apparently.
Thanks, I never used to give it a thought, although Jerry's Lane and Turfpits Lane where out of bounds to me as a child (I never knew why) and I would sometimes use those roads to got to my nans off Slade Road and lie as to which way I had gone.

Bob

Pedrocut, looking at your post #59 and the quote from Bill Dargue, I wonder if the 'swimming pool' to the left of the track could have been the original turf-pit and filled up with water as it was dug out? The ground round that part is very marshy if I remember correctly.

IMG_1834.PNG
Pedrocut, looking at your post #59 and the quote from Bill Dargue, I wonder if the 'swimming pool' to the left of the track could have been the original turf-pit and filled up with water as it was dug out? The ground round that part is very marshy if I remember correctly.

Just going back as far as possible I noticed this map in the 1658 book by William Dugdale. If it has been shown I am not sure, but a couple of observations!

The is no Beggars Bush, but there is Jordan's Grave.

It also shows the position of the Ridgeway joining the Roman Road in Sutton Park.

Where did the Ridgeway start and finish Pedrocut? Any idea how old it is? The Chester Road would only have been a track at this time although the coaches would've been coming through together with the Welsh drovers. Hard to imagine it now with all the traffic thundering along. No pubs marked as he hasn't put the tracks in apart from the Ridgeway. I think this is the earliest mention of Jordan's grave to date. I realised, as I was going to the art shop, College Road was single track so the grave is probably under the later carriageway going towards Perry Barr.

Lady P
Do you know how Court Lane got its Name? was there not also a Court Farm Road or is this something I am imagining. sorry when I lived there I had no interest in the history of the area.

Bob Davis

Bob, a little late I know (only 2 years) but I was at Sutton Library the other day and found a book by R Stanley Morgan entitled 'Early Settlement of Erdington'. He transcribed snippets of information from the Court Rolls and stated that in 1698 Court Lane was originally Cote Lane or Coate Lane and referred to the fact that originally it housed the Lord's Dovecotes (not sure which Lord). Incidentally I found a map from 1904 with Turfpits Farm approximately where the Leopard used to be.

I know this thread started as The Golden Cross but it mentions Turfpits Lane quite a lot. I happened to go past the other day and discovered that the shops on the corner are now a large Fish and Chip Shop. Didn't try them though! To the right there is a Florist and then a large supermarket fills the rest of the space.

Attachments

• Chip Shop Turfits Lane.JPG
    Chip Shop Turfits Lane.JPG
    611.8 KB · Views: 19
Maurice, fish and chips are one of the things that no longer agree with me. I like them though and sometimes risk it. Graham is very partial though so watch this space.

We used to go in there Morturn on the way to Nan's in Knightwick Crescent. Mom used to buy some Palm toffee. I remember nagging for some sugared almonds because they looked so pretty and being really disappointed with them. Especially the nuts!

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone has elderly family members who remember my Grandparents who ran the Golden Cross around 1939. They were Joseph (Joe) Page and his wife Sarah (sometimes called Grace.) Not sure how long they were there for i'm afraid.

Hi Sue, welcome to the forum. If you put "golden cross" into the search box there are quite a few threads about the Golden Cross.

That pub was the one in Short Heath road , Erdington. Have moved posts to that thread

Hi everyone. Just wondering if anyone has elderly family members who remember my Grandparents who ran the Golden Cross around 1939. They were Joseph (Joe) Page and his wife Sarah (sometimes called Grace.) Not sure how long they were there for i'm afraid.
Hi Sue, I think I remember you when I was a little boy, I may have met you since but cant remember. Your mum Ivy and my mum Margaret were best friends from the days when they worked in Lewis's in Birmingham until sadly they are no longer with us. I believe my mum visited your grandparents at The Golden Cross and from memory may have stayed there with Ivy. So if you remember Margaret, which I think you could do from Sutton Coldfield, you will remember she has two children Christine and Michael, I am Michael.

Attachments

• 2000s_Mum+Peter+Ivy+Hilder.jpg
    2000s_Mum+Peter+Ivy+Hilder.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 1940s_Mum+Ivy Rhyl.jpg
    1940s_Mum+Ivy Rhyl.jpg
    889.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 1930s_Ivy Page.jpg
    1930s_Ivy Page.jpg
    513.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Ivy Page+her gran_2.jpg
    Ivy Page+her gran_2.jpg