• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Cockshut Hill School

I was there in 1943 and I did not see any soldiers, the army camp was alongside Garrets green lane on the Outmore road side from the Tech( that was) to the Meadway, Len Copsey was there at the same time.
Dave Edwards
With reference to the army camp mentioned in post#53, in another thread 'South Yardley, Broadstone Rd (originally Pool Lane)' there is an c1946 aerial view of several Nissen huts in what looks like a disused army camp in fields where Hadland Rd is today.
An enlarged view of the Nissen huts in a post link below
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/south-yardley-broadstone-rd-originally-pool-lane.47625/#post-589026
which is part of a large aerial view in the post link below.
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/south-yardley-broadstone-rd-originally-pool-lane.47625/#post-588886

Last edited:
Help please. I grew up in this area, Garretts Green and attended Cockshut Hill. Knew Pool way but cant place Hadfield Rd or where these photographs show. Look at the top left hand corner shows what appears a graveyard?

Last edited:
Thanks oldmohawk but still doesnt ring a bell, I am getting on a bit. I really want to understand those photographs, bring back a bit of my childhood.

Isnt't the Internet a wonderful asset to our lives. I am sitting in Spain looking at pics of where I grew up and discussing them with somebody I have never met who is posting the pictures and helping me understand them.

Isnt't the Internet a wonderful asset to our lives. I am sitting in Spain looking at pics of where I grew up and discussing them with somebody I have never met who is posting the pictures and helping me understand them.
Hi, sheldontony do you know anything about those Nissen huts which were apparently there in 1946 ?
oldmohawk :)

Help please. I grew up in this area, Garretts Green and attended Cockshut Hill. Knew Pool way but cant place Hadfield Rd or where these photographs show. Look at the top left hand corner shows what appears a graveyard?
I think your "graveyard" was BSA machine tools factory backing on to Gossey Lane (over the bridge by The Meadway garage)

Hello. The Nissen huts looks like they were in the corner area of Blakenhale & Hollyfast Rd running down Hollyfast Rd opposite Hadland Rd. Blakenhale junior school gates are in Hadland Rd (Cul-de-sac) and Outmore Rd. Infant school gates are in Blakenhale Rd. (Well, when I was there. I lived in Hadland Rd ). I had great times as a kid. I remember Poolway shops being tin huts. The park was much more interesting when it was a field and happy times when the travelling fair came. Does anyone remember the Chestnuts being a wooden hut?

devonjim is bang on regarding the BSA (Graveyard). Pick up the nissen huts, travel down Blakenhale Rd (towards top of picture) over Outmore Rd and on to Garretts Green, turn left and up to Copes garage, over the railway bridge. Straight on will take you to the Mackadown or turn right after crossing over the bridge and as devonjim has advised, down Gossey Lane. Hope you are understanding the pics sheldontony. If it helps I can put place names into the picture and re-post it here.

As you say over the old narrow bridge and the only way when I was a kid, you had to turn right into Gossey lane as it was a field in front of you. I don't know why B.S.A was called a graveyard, unless it was all the air vents that could be seen from above , because in certainly was not like that to work in. I did my fifty years there like many others, as it was a good company to work for, it got me all over the world as a service engineer and demonstrator.

Hello Eddie 14. Regarding the "Graveyard" please look at post 92 from sheldontony, I believe that he wanted to get some bearings of the area on an old photograph, so I used a recent description that he may understand. When you were a kid then, you must remember the duel carriageway that was built from the narrow bridge to Mackadown Lane. The grass verge between the carriageways was some play area for the kids and all the families got together on the verge bonfire night around a huge bonfire. The old duel carriage way is still there in front of the houses either side of the road but the main road was put down the middle of the grass verge.

Cockshut hill school in later years than you nick named it the prison on the hill, because a new head master had taken it
over and became on of these acadamy school run by so guy whom was a american
and all the gates around the school entrances of the building was always being kept locked even at lunch time
If you was not within the school playground by bang on 9 oclock the gates was locked and you was never allowed in untill the next day
it also applied at lunch times
because apparentently some kids was bunking off from the school during the day and between classes
this i learnt at that period being my neices and nepews went there so my young kids would not go there
and ended up at archbishop lselys acocks green Astonian,,,

I can only quote from when the school was split and the boys half was along Cockshut Hill. My time 1963/1967. Not sure of the period the gates were being locked. The upper play ground had a steel fence between brick pillars about a metre or so high. The canteen (school dinners) was at the top of this play ground. Them, locking the gates was not that clever really. I can not state too much here regarding what some of the older lads were doing but I seem to remember these small fences and the Dove cote pub. Some recent pics. Cockshut-Hill-College 02.jpg Cockshut-Hill-College 03.jpg Cockshut-Hill-College 04.jpg Cockshut-Hill-College 05.jpg Cockshut-Hill-College 06.jpg Cockshut-Hill-College.jpg

Hello Lurchphoic. I know all this area very very well from a child of 5 years of age. everything has changed, from green fields to housing estates. I started work in 1948 at the (Grave Yard) B.S.A and cycled to work every day down the same lanes as there were no duel carriage ways across the field over the narrow bridge then, it was very narrow , just get two cars over together being careful. From then on to Coleshill there were no houses, no Lea Village, just fields. The White Hart and a few houses in Cooks lane and farms

The entrance near Duncroft rd was never used only the gate higher up at the end of the gym. There were no iron railings as they had been taken out for the war effort, only the brick pillars remained My time there was 1943-48

Dave

Hello Eddie 14. You have my respect and your post above is brill. Can you start a new thread regarding growing up in this area and the changes we have seen good and bad. I'm sure there are a few of us that will bring the thread alive. PhilC.

The entrance near Duncroft rd was never used only the gate higher up at the end of the gym. There were no iron railings as they had been taken out for the war effort, only the brick pillars remained/

Dave
My time at Cocksut Hill, I had the pleasure of using the girls entrance, I think Billingham Rd ??? and walking through their play ground to the boys play ground. As I got older the views got better.

Phil, if you try and trace some of the history around this area there are not many of the people on the forum who contribute, at the moment there are three of us. To really get a thread going it has to be popular with all alike. How many can put 84 years of that area on a thread, keep you fingers crossed maybe there is someone, certainly many of the kids in my classes a Cockshut Hill came from the immediate area but they are not on the forum, maybe passed on.
This is one of the problems, we leave it too late to find past friend only to find out they have passed on, we have been too busy doing our own thing to bother.
Bartley Green history were trying to get info on things in the area, as my Grandfather was the local Fireman living in the fire house and having the tender in his garage I could help up to a point but as I said to Maureen, you are 50 years too late.
Dave

I had 24 years in Yardley, (I will be 84 early June) still can not remember everything, I do remember Cockshut Hill school, my classroom over looked what is now the parking lot, also there were fields above the school with a path that went up to church. Dave. Your memory is outstanding you should write a book mate.

I went to Cockshut Hill for my infants and my first two years of juniors, probably 1954 to 1957. It then became just a Senior school and I had to transfer to Blakenhale.
Does anyone remember Frank the strange man that used to stare through the railings and we would all run away from.

Hello. Sorry, my typing is very slow. In the late 50s, early 60s I knew of a person that was named “Barmy Frank” Sorry if that sounds disrespectful. I used to see him mainly in Queens Park. I was terrified of him. I was told not to look at him or he would run after me. Never ever seen him chasing anyone. I must add though that if I glanced at him and he was looking at me, I would quickly look away. I never looked at him for more than a split second but I can still see his face now. Later as I got older, seeing him never bothered me. He was probably a nice chap. Thinking about him chasing kids, maybe he did a few times. We all know how sweet and understanding children can be.

Phil, if you try and trace some of the history around this area there are not many of the people on the forum who contribute, at the moment there are three of us. To really get a thread going it has to be popular with all alike. How many can put 84 years of that area on a thread, keep you fingers crossed maybe there is someone, certainly many of the kids in my classes a Cockshut Hill came from the immediate area but they are not on the forum, maybe passed on.
This is one of the problems, we leave it too late to find past friend only to find out they have passed on, we have been too busy doing our own thing to bother.
Bartley Green history were trying to get info on things in the area, as my Grandfather was the local Fireman living in the fire house and having the tender in his garage I could help up to a point but as I said to Maureen, you are 50 years too late.
Dave

Hello Dave. You are quite correct, but it is not all about tracing history, it is also reminiscing, it can be very uplifting, being reminded of something, forgotten memories etc. Yes, we can leave it late and some news can be bad. Yesterday, on a forum, I talked to someone that grew up in the same road as myself. We talked about the area, neighbours, etc. I found that he was married to the sister of a girl I was friends with when we were about 9/10 years old. Today, I asked about my old friend and found that she is no longer with us. She passed away aged 39. I am saddened. We are, at times too busy. Perhaps if we went back to two television stations showing programs 5pm to 10.30 pm all our lives would be enhanced but sadly that will not happen. I believe that you have the knowledge to help people reminisce, trace history, jog memories etc. PhilC.

Last edited:
I had 24 years in Yardley, (I will be 84 early June) still can not remember everything, I do remember Cockshut Hill school, my classroom over looked what is now the parking lot, also there were fields above the school with a path that went up to church. Dave. Your memory is outstanding you should write a book mate.
84 in June, wow. How many hours are you behind us :) If I know the date I'll start a thread. So, regarding the above, there was no Queens Park? Was the Church Yardley Old Church? Do you remember the blacksmiths? I've only seen photos about the blacksmith. Do you remember the Ring A Bells pub, I spent some money in there when I was 16 sorry 18 :) PhilC

My wife of 57 years, Often say to me "Why do you care so much about the past?" I left Brum when I was 24 years old, 60 bloody years ago, As I have told Dave, my memory is not very good now, But things do come back with reading this Brum History Forum. I have also made contact with quite a few of my mates from those days (HUH EDDIE), So this HAS brought me joy and happiness, what more can I ask for? Thanks everyone. John Crump. One old and very happy & PROUD to be a Brummie STILL!!!!!!!!

84 June 7th, wow. How many hours are you behind us :) If I know the date I'll start a thread. So, regarding the above, there was no Queens Park? Was the Church Yardley Old Church? Do you remember the blacksmiths? I've only seen photos about the blacksmith. Do you remember the Ring A Bells pub, I spent some money in there when I was 16 sorry 18 :) PhilC
Ring a bells Dad and Granddad we all went there quaffed a few pints there, Burnt down, I do remember the blacksmith went to Sunday school next to the church. Snogged a few birds in the park.happy days Its 11am in Parker, Colorado USA

Last edited:
I felt so many emotions just while reading your last message, envy probably the most. I just wish it were 11 am here :)

John, It's nice to know you are still around as you never send an email any more, I thought the cycling had got at you. Coming back to our life around Yardley and Sheldon, I have said things to you before and you only respond with one liners, it doesn't get you going. Our time at Church Rd school, all the names I mentioned and you could not remember one, you are blooming hopeless, another thing, everyone wants to see where their roots are and even go back to see those places, it's natural! Your wife is in her home country and all the memories are still there. As I make a lot of things in my workshop I use a lot of strip metal and the only place I get it from is the blacksmiths shop at the back of the church, form Paul Collins. That building is over 1,000 years old at the rear, Paul is a smashing bloke, who makes steel ornate fencing.
Phil coming back to your question, Tony of Sheldon and I have talked about Ginger Frank before, he used to live in Manor house lane just up from the St Bernard's Grange, never went to school but put the fear of God into some of us, always shouting. There was only one entry into Cockshut Hill school that was used by us kids, the teachers went in by Duncroft road and drove up to the centre and went in that way.
I is very hard to put into some ones mind the picture that is in your own as regards the scene standing on the top of garrets Green hill and seeing nothing but fields ahead and you could walk through all of them so long as you kept to the edges because some may have been platted, we did not do damage in those days, I don't know how thing have changed, everything has to be smashed up or painted.
Such is life.
Dave

Dave, I am very frustrated that I can NOT remember a lot of my past in Yardley. Dad once told me that I had Diptherea? (not sure of the spelling) when I was 1 yr old and I almost died, I am also, almost stone deaf now. Maybe something happened when I was in the hospital? I really enjoy hearing about things from back then and sometimes, something does ring a bell? Please try and understand how I feel about this, just like Marcia who I have been married to 57 years now, is alway blaming me for not hearing what she says. I guess you could ay I have a disability? Please keep the postings coming

Back