• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

1937 Coronation - Street Decorations And Parties

JLB

1940s Brummie
I recently found these photos taken in 1937 in celebration of the coronation of King George VI. They show Markby Road (Winson Green):
Street Party - 1.jpg Street Party - 2a.jpg Markby Rd decorations.jpg 30 Markby Rd - 2.jpg

Last edited:
wow how fantastic JLB:)..thank you for sharing the photos with us....could i ask if you have an interest in markby road are these family photos you found...just goes to show that they are still out there floating about somewhere..

lyn

wow how fantastic JLB:)..thank you for sharing the photos with us....could i ask if you have an interest in markby road are these family photos you found...just goes to show that they are still out there floating about somewhere..

lyn
I certainly do have an interest in Markby Road: I was born there (in 1940) and lived there till 1971. My late dad took the photos and I recently scanned the original small contact prints and added them to my family history collection. The close-up shot shows my mother, grandmother, two aunts and an uncle outside number 30, together with two of our nextdoor neighbours outside number 32. Sadly, all the folks in the photo are long deceased.
John

thats wonderful john...you are so lucky to have those family photos as so many have none at all...is your old house still standing

lyn

Yes, the old house is still there, although I haven't seen it for 20 years. This recent colour image off Google StreetView shows a new door, new windows, rebuilt steps and front wall - but the main structure seems unchanged.
John
30 Markby Rd (2015).jpg .

yes john ive just had a look on street view..agree with you apart from minor alterations your house is still there...again you are very lucky...

lyn

I came across these 1937 Coronation street party pics, in a old suitcase while clearing out our loft. They were taken by my Nan outside No.149 Gospel Lane Acocks Green. By coincidence, its 83 years since the party took place!

Pic 1, bottom centre is My Dad's youngest sister Maureen, to her left is my Dad and behind him, brother Geoff. I tried to make out the text on the party hats but all I can see is "Yours and Mine. Pure Co-Operative" the last word is too blurred to read. At some point this pic was used as a note pad, written on the back is "Pudding in stove, Geoff" lol.

Pic 2 was taken outside the front garden gate at No.149. My Dad is bottom left and his sister is bottom centre. His older brother is back row centre.

1588578935991.png

Back