• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Salford bridge

A view from the train passing under the Aston Expressway. Between Witton and Aston. On the line from Walsall to Birmingham New Street. Salford Bridge is not visible from here.

A 'britainfromabove' aircraft flew over the Salford Bridge area in 1920. Lichfield Rd runs across from right to left and the canal approaches the road from bottom left towards the bridge. Leamington Rd can be seen left of the canal bridge running towards it's junction on the Lichfield Rd. The Aston Wells Pumping Station is in the bottom of the image.
SalfordBridge 1920.JPG

A 1958 photo to compare with the much earlier dated photo in post#68. In this later photo, the toilet block is just out of shot on the left but the advertisement hoardings are still in place and a van parked in this new photo is almost in the same place as the one in the old photo. Some sheds in the pics have survived the passing years.
SalfordBridgeJunction 1958.jpg

The following is taken from a poem in the volume of verse entitled Rhymes, Grave, Gay and Otherwise and the locality around Salford Bridge is commemorated in a long poem called 'Copeley Hill', written by Thomas Townsend in 1876:

My muse claims no Vision of Prophecy, still
Let me dream of thy future, fair Copeley Hill!
Will some levelling Brummagem Mayor of the day
In some vast Improvement Scheme sweep thee away....

And along came Spaghetti Junction.

Not sure where I got this one from. Where do you reckon the photographer was standing?

IMG_7904.JPG

Last edited:
A very interesting question Pedrocut. Wouldn't the cooling towers be a little nearer, Morturn, if he was at the top of Copeley Hill?

The railway was behind the school and I cannot see it in the foreground, so I am assuming it would taken in the vicinity of school

Yes, indeed they have

gasholder-park-kings-cross-FXMC2C.jpg

Some views of Salford Bridge shops which are in some pics posted in the Electric Trams thread.
linked forum pics below only visible if logged in
Trams in front of shops at Salford Bridge.
index.php

index.php

Later pics after the trams have been replaced by buses.
index.php

index.php

Last edited:
Back