• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Market Hall 1835 - 1963

great phil...good luck with the project hope you find some useful info on the forum..look forward to welcoming the wife there is plenty of brum history to look at...

lyn

Hi all. This is my first post here, hope it's in the right place.

Anybody got any info, anecdotes, pics of George Perry Fruit and Veg Wholesalers in years gone by?

I know they still trade, but I am interested in the 50s 60s 70s when I believe the main man (George) was my Grandfather.

Thanks in advance for anything you have.

Hello all.

I would just like to thank everyone for his or her help with the history of the Market Hall that I prepared for my brother in-law. Although on going, I have completed the book consisting of over 100 A4 pages. The book covers the whole history and area of the Market Hall, including, the clock, fountain, Lord Nelsons, meat markets and slaughter, tripe houses, pubs, traders & entertainment around the area, and of course the slight damage caused by the Luftwaffe during WW II to the total destruction by the city council. We have made an elderly gentleman very happy. There is one area that I have been unable to find photographs and/or data. I will appreciate any further help anyone can give me. Please forgive any confusion regarding my following description. I have great photographs of the meat markets that I were pointed towards by you. My brother in-law talks about the other side of here. He has mentioned, Monks piggery, FMC, a café where his sister worked (I believe this was attached to the end of the building. Part of, but not sure) He has mentioned two pubs at either end, the brushmakers arms and cross keys. He has also mentioned Ma’s café in the area. I know the info is out there somewhere maybe I have a lot to learn about searching. Thank you all.

Thanks Mikejee, great pic thank you very much, I'm getting there, just trying to dot the i's and cross the t's.

Hello Greart. My brother in-law worked there from 1959 to 1969 when during a union dispute, all slaughtermen were dismissed. It was then re-opened as Abattoir Servises Ltd. My brother in-law's name is Tommy Smith and family members also worked there all with the surname of Smith, Jimmy, George, Norman, Roy, Bert, Peter, David and Michael. Also, sister Jackie worked in the Canteen.

Thanks for the reply. My father Reggie Morrell (no longer with us) worked as a slaughterman there from 1945, de mob, till he was dismissed with the union dispute. He worked for FMC ( fat stock market corporation). I have his old FMC bone saw which he used to saw everything with. It's useless now but in very good condition as regards appearance and marked up clearly FMC. I would be happy to let you have it as a bit of fun to present to your b in law on his big night. Also if you look on you tube there is a corny but interesting advert for FMC from the 1950's. regards G.

Hello G. I have just spoken to Tommy and I must say that what started out as trying to gather some history of part of Tommy’s life has escalated into a wonderful chapter of memorabilia for him. Tommy worked with Reggie along with Roy in bay 18 for 10 years. Reggie was known by all the Smith family and fondly thought of, a treasured part of the team. Tommy is now 73 years old and has fond memories of his time at the meat market, after starting there as a young lad. Reggie played a major part in Tommy’s memories. Tommy has asked me to say, “God bless Reggie” a fond and well remember friend.

That's lovely to know the old chap was well thought of and wish he were here to tell him. Tell tommy thank you for the kind thoughts and memories of my dad. It's made my eyes leak a bit G.

Sorry G but that's part of the loving process. I do think that Reggie's saw would be a wonderful gift for Tommy. I was going to say that it is also a wonderful keepsake for yourself but Reggie and Tommy were good buddies for quite a long time and shared the same memories.

Last edited:
You are welcome to the saw. I have plenty to remind me of the old chap. If you need it just let me know and I will get it to you somehow. G

hi phil well this is turning into a lovely read about your family history...i am enjoying reading about them and also of grearts family as well...:)

lyn

Hello Lyn (one of my earlier advisers. Thanks.). Hope you are well. Yes, I think an amazing story, Tommy's over the moon with it all. His wife tells us that he has to take a nap due to all the excitement.
Can you advise other sites to me where I may find the meat/slaughter market building. I am looking for the part where the live stock was taken in. I can't seem to find much on basic search engines. As I said ealier, Tommy now has the book (over 100 pages) that we all put together. However, pages can be added and this missing photograph/info would complete it. look after yourself. PhilC

Hello G. Please let me know of any costs regarding your father’s FMC saw. I can assure you that it will be appreciated and to a good home. I have had a look at the YouTube advert of FMC and downloaded it. I will make a DVD of it for Tommy. In a few year’s time when his memory’s not so good, he can watch it every day for the first time :) PhilC

Hi Phil, no cost whatsoever, but do need to know where it has to go to. I don't know enough about this site where you can put a contact that is private. I'm sure yourself or someone else will know. I'm also looking for more info regarding the market for you, especially the livestock enterance. G

Hi G. You are a star. I think tomorrow I will create a new email address and post it on here. If you e-mail me, only identifying the exact time you send it to me. Then post me on here that you have sent it and the time you wrote on the e-mail. I will then get back to you from my e-mail address. Is it possible for me to have some pictures of Reggie for Tommy’s book? In addition, if you are interested, I am making a DVD of Tommy’s book. This includes the Market Hall, Meat markets and slaughter, tripe houses and drovers. The WW II bombing. The Clock, fountain and Lord Nelson. Other trades in the area. Pubs and entertainment. Ending with the destruction and the area now. Everything that Tommy and Reggie witnessed during their time there, except for the ending. If you wish, I can make you a copy. Oh, and thanks. PhilC.

Phil, a DVD would be lovely, I would really appreciate that. Funny enough I have been sorting out some photos of the old chap today with the intention of passing them on. I have been racking my brains for more names who dad was pals with that tommy might remember. There were the Smiths, that must be Tommy, the Checkleys, and the Tricklebanks. Plus two others that may be alive so I will pass them on personally. Finally I have an old phone that I never use (ex works) that I'm happy to put the number on for you to make the initial contact. Saves you bothering with a new email address.

Hi G. That’s great regarding the phone if you are okay with it. If you can give the number out tomorrow, I will ring you as soon as pos. I have just spoken to Tommy regarding his and Reggie’s work mates and you have jogged his memory. Tommy remembers the names that you wrote. Albert Checkleys, he grew champion chrysanthemums that he kept warm with paper bags. Brothers Jack and Tommy Tricklebanks, big Jack Silverwood, Bernard Carter worked in bay 11, Les Hewitt and Jack Stonier……… Small world :)

Back