• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Salford bridge

It might be the Salford Bridge Toll Stop

Salford Bridge Toll Stop is a minor waterways place on the Birmingham Canal Navigations (Tame Valley Canal) between Tame Valley - Rushall Junction (Junction of the Tame Valley and Rushall Canals) (4 miles and 7¾ furlongs and 13 locks to the northwest) and Salford Junction North (Junction of B&F and Tame Valley Canals) (¼ furlongs to the east).

The nearest place in the direction of Tame Valley - Rushall Junction is Spaghetti Junction A38 Bridge; ¾ furlongs away.

The nearest place in the direction of Salford Junction North is Salford Bridge; ¼ furlongs away.
The place is a toll stop.

Hi Astonian, I don't remember these turntables you mentioned. Must've been before my time. I will try to find out about them as when the tram got to our terminus the driver just got off the front and got on the back to retrace the journey, if you see what I mean. I didn't know they turned them round at Salford Bridge. Not sure when the 78 was first used but I think the No. 6 went to Stockland Green before that. I believe the No. 2 went to Erdington but whether it continued to the Sutton Coldfield border originally I don't know. I'll see what I can find out and get back to you.

IMG_1473.jpg

As this clip from 1914 shows there was a sewage farm at Gravelly Hill, where the "night soil" gentlemen could take their night soil!

Lady P, the area was great when we moved there in 1962 and though there was considerable disruption when the M6 and spaghetti was built it was still a nice area to live (Hillside Rd in my case). It started to change end of 70's, all our old neighbours started to leave and we followed suit in 1987 and moved to Chelmsley Wood. Sorry to leave after 25 years but we could see the way it was going. Re the Pub , it could have been called the Amada and not the Erdington Arms, (Frothy would know), locally it was known as the Muckman from the days when the 'night soil' gentlemen frequented it. Eric

There was an enormous sewage farm to the east of Salford Bridge, where sewage was spread on fields. this was developed from 1865. The purchase of esome of the land is mentioned in the 150 years thread recently. When treatment methods improved and bacterial filtration was introduced in 1898, the area was considerably reduced.

Thanks Everyone, that sounds more likely to be muck doesn't it? I'd forgotten about the sewage farm and yet my Gt Uncle Edward worked there in the early part of the 20thC. He died from typhoid caught there. He was only in his 20's and left a widow and small daughter.

The sewage farm was where Gravelly Industrial Park is now. I think it was called the Tame and Rea Drainage Board. It has a narrow-gauge railway.

There is a row of houses on Standard Way that were known at the Drainage Board Cottages.

They did away with this site after building a huge sewer pipe along Tyburn Road to Minworth in the 1960’s

IMG_1474.jpg
The sewage farm was where Gravelly Industrial Park is now. I think it was called the Tame and Rea Drainage Board. It has a narrow-gauge railway.

There is a row of houses on Standard Way that were known at the Drainage Board Cottages.

They did away with this site after building a huge sewer pipe along Tyburn Road to Minworth in the 1960’s

A picture from the Sphere of November 1957, the construction of the tanks at Minworth.

I found these two pictures yesterday on Facebook (thank you Facebook). The first one is an angle I don't recall seeing before and shows houses which I don't remember. I think it shows Minstead Road on the left. There's a vehicle outside the pub which might help date it. Would it be pre-Tyburn Road?

Update on the Armada: The pub is still open and I understand that it may be being used as a B & B. Hence the number of vehicles parked outside.

Attachments

• Gravelly Hill 2.jpg
    Gravelly Hill 2.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Gravelly Hill.jpg
    Gravelly Hill.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 76
Viv, I had seen you pictures before but until you posted them I hadn't realised how many buildings were demolished to make way for Tyburn Road so thank you. It was comparing them to the two PC's I posted and it was wider than I thought. I wonder when the shops were built (post #40 pic 1) and the houses opposite? I must have another look at the other thread for Salford House.
Just having a look at Lyn's picture B77 again. The properties in the centre of the picture appear to be newly demolished but surely this is later than the building of Tyburn Road? Perhaps it was widened at the same time the bridge was being re-built?

Attachments

• Salford Bridge B77.jpg
    Salford Bridge B77.jpg
    419.6 KB · Views: 63
Hi Lady P. I think your two images in post #40 are probably dated between 1890 and 1900. Maybe this will help. Seems almost impossible that it once looked like that. Village-like. Viv.

This might be of interest to get your bearing of the Erdington Arms and the Armada. 1919 map overlaid with a modern day map. As you see the Erdington Arms was more or less in the middle of Salford CircusSalford bridge.PNG

I went past The Armada in April 2015, near Salford Circus, when I got the train to Gravelly Hill.

IMG_1484.jpg

For sale in July 1827...Copeley...

that romantic spot, adjoining Salford Bridge and near the admired village of Aston...approximating to Guy's Cliff, with a superiority of aspect...formed by the hand of Nature, that never can be built upon so as to obstruct the varied and extensive scenery of the surrounding country....A great portion is skirted by Hawthorn Brook, falling into the River Tame at Dwalf-Holes and is part of the estate....and equally beautiful vistas along meadows, glens and streams towards Saltley and Witton...

Hi Ladypenelope
yes it must have been before your time i am sorry to hear
I used to walk down there regular as a nipper plus the fact i can tell you we did have them on here
about ten or so years ago until the robbers highjacked us all by taking the photographs
we had several and i was rather hoping that some one may have had one to produce
but obvisiuosly no one as got one
i would only say its the prevuios members whom are no longer with us would possibly have one in there possion
Oh well may be one day we will get one, there are alot of threads coming back on as i see it
New members asking the same old questions as to what we had on here yeas ago
the huge turn table was a huge table about the with of the road and it was turned and cranked manualy
to change the tracked for ever which way route it gonna take and it also turned around to head back to city and miller street
I have got a couple of books on the tramms and i will try and find one out if possible
and some that toppled over as well best wishes Astonian,,,,,Alan,,,,

In the above advert of 1827, the terms Guy's Cliff and Dwarf-holes appear. Has anyone ever heard them mentioned before?

Back