• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

sayings

Status
Not open for further replies.
well thats put the cod bosh on it mucker you had better keep tight lipped about that our kid
and remember bobs your uncle and aunt fanny is your aunt now scarper or they will have your gutts for garters
Astonian,,,

Most of those sayings I don't recognise Nico apart from the rhyme:

Skinny Malig Malogen legs umbrella feet.
Went to the pictures and couldn't get a seat
(sadly can't remember the rest of it)

As the family weren't from Dublin we tended to hear more English sayings and some from other parts of Ireland where Dad's side of the family came from.

During my time in the scouts various rhymes had alternative words put to them but not the kind that I dare post here:eek:

Simon
Thanks for that little bit more of the rhyme.
You must know Johnston Mooney and O'Brien etc, Bought a loaf for one and n-yen (phrenetic)?
Nan's Blackcountry version was, Abracadabra the king of the Jews, sold his wife a paor of shoes.
Mate's gran was from Belfast but the family came from Newry then moved to Dublin.
And...Tom, Tom Tittymouse, (tittlemouse) laid an egg in every house.

When my Black country grandad saw a wedding he would sing, to the wedding march...
Here comes the bride, 50 inches wide,
Here comes the old vicar, he is even thicker
Here come the bride, bow leggid and cock eyed
Strert roond the gas oomiter, and up t'other side.

Thanks for that little bit more of the rhyme.
You must know Johnston Mooney and O'Brien etc, Bought a loaf for one and n-yen (phrenetic)?
Nan's Blackcountry version was, Abracadabra the king of the Jews, sold his wife a paor of shoes.
Mate's gran was from Belfast but the family came from Newry then moved to Dublin.
And...Tom, Tom Tittymouse, (tittlemouse) laid an egg in every house.

When my Black country grandad saw a wedding he would sing, to the wedding march...
Here comes the bride, 50 inches wide,
Here comes the old vicar, he is even thicker
Here come the bride, bow leggid and cock eyed
Strert roond the gas oomiter, and up t'other side.

Hello, Nico,

In Sparkbrook, my mother's version of that rhyme was something like:

Nebuchadnezzar, king of the Jews, bought his wife a pair of shoes.
When the shoes began to wear, Nebuchadnezzar began to swear.
And these are the words he said...
Talazu-za-zoo, talazu-za-zae... (and that's all I remember!)

Regards, Ray T

Mom used to recite a rhyme while bouncing a ball with one hand, 'One, two, three, alera, four, five, six, alera, seven, alera, catch the ball. On the three and six she would kick her leg over the ball. Not sure of the spelling of 'alera'. She could still do this in her late 80's. Does this come under 'sayings' or 'games'?

Mom used to recite a rhyme while bouncing a ball with one hand, 'One, two, three, alera, four, five, six, alera, seven, alera, catch the ball. On the three and six she would kick her leg over the ball. Not sure of the spelling of 'alera'. She could still do this in her late 80's. Does this come under 'sayings' or 'games'?
Was it like Des O'Conor;s song, one two three O'Leary?

Hello, Nico,

Regards, Ray T

Well. I remember

Abracadabra the King of the Jews, SOLD his wife a pair of shoes,
When the shoes began to wear, Abracadabra bought a chair.
When the chair began to break, Abracadabra bought a snake,
When the snake began to sting, Abracadabra bought a ring,
When the ring began to rust, Abracadabra turned to dust!

To cure hiccups, Great gran sang,
Hee cup up, hee cup down, hee cup up to London town,
Three cups in a cup, that's the way to cure hee cup! She would shout the last hee cup hoping it would scare me and them away! It never worked but I liked it.

Another Irish one,
Janey Mack me shirt is black. And
for oh no. ah Janey!
And, If I had an egg and a bottle of Harp!

Nico, it could well be O'Leary but it always came out as 'alera'. Don't remember the Des O'Connor song though.
One two three o'leary games
I played with Mary,
Way back in the wild wood
of our magic childhood days, ....I think.

I heard my Irish mates sing your bit as o'leary when they skipped with a rope

Hello, Nico,

Regards, Ray T
Hello Ray,
My Irish mate's dad would stay, still says, an' I rared (reared) up cat! That means he gave someone a mouthful.
And he still uses the quare feller expression, which he assures me is not insulting, but when he used it as, two old quare ones, was for two.....er dodgy ladies.

Hi Devenjohn
Yes thanks for pulling me up on it and correcting me as well ,yes kibosh is the word
John just of late i am getting things quite alot of late
I am going to the dogs, or if you like i am going through the wall, or if you like
the other old boys here say its a senior moments which ever the case kibosh is the word
to be honest even the old dutchess thinks i ,ve lost the plot ha ha
best wishes as always Alan,,, Astonian;;;;

Lady P, I remember my older sister bouncing a ball while reciting that in late 1950s Sparkbrook. Thanks for the memory.

Regards, Ray T

An old brummie I knew would a say a situation was " St Fairy Anne" meaning I think, that it was worthless. Realised later that he had served in France in WW1 and he was saying "sans faire rien". My own dad would use Arabic expressions picked up from WW2 times in North Africa.

An old brummie I knew would a say a situation was " St Fairy Anne" meaning I think, that it was worthless. Realised later that he had served in France in WW1 and he was saying "sans faire rien". My own dad would use Arabic expressions picked up from WW2 times in North Africa.
the Irish gran again, "giver yer granny a goozer" a kiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back