• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old street pics..

Ray T

The pub on the corner of Montpelier Street was the Cottage of Content the shop on the other corner was a grocers shop the Bakery was on the corner of Long Street. The Railway a Davenports house was further up Kyrwicks Lane. The barber next to the old bakery premises was R Winnet (Ronnie) I think as I never used him, the chip shop was "Ickies" a W.Hickman who had the shop as long as I can remember he must have retired, packed it in or died in the early 70's because after then it had new owners.

Thanks so much for these two photos, Phil. Mrs Wallace's bakery shop would have been beside the barbers' on the left, then. There would have been cakes and loaves in that window! I'd forgotten the barbers' shop being there, even though I must surely have been dragged in there as a lad for quite a few short back and sides. Your other photo shows the Adams shop near the corner of Kyrwicks Lane and Montpellier Street (along which I spent countless hours train-spotting below the bridge). I spent many a sixpence pocket money in that shop, though I'd forgotten its name (Or perhaps it was another shop just along from there). The window was always crammed with goodies and nick-nacks designed to appeal to schoolkids. A favourite of mine was a "bomb". This really did look like a miniature bomb in metal. The "nose cone" would screw off and a percussion cap went under a little sprung plate. After reassembly, the thing would be hurled aloft to land nose-down with a mighty "crack" in the road as the cap went off. Ah, the days before computers, eh?

Regards, Ray T.

Last edited:
Jackie

These two maps locate Dawlish Rd in Bournville/Selly Oak that ran from Bristol Rd to Raddlebarn Rd and still exists today. Sutherland Street has gone today but used to run from Lichfield St to Waterworks Street. The third earlier OS map shoes the location of Dawlish Place on Sutherland Street it is marked with a red "X"

Attachments

• Sutherland St.jpg
    Sutherland St.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Dawlish Rd.jpg
    Dawlish Rd.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Dawlish Place.JPG
    Dawlish Place.JPG
    168.6 KB · Views: 28
Hi Phil, thanks for that. I asked my father-in-law he told me 2/22 Dawlish Place off Sutherland St today, he remembers all the streets but not what he done an hour ago. He is 89 years.

Jackie

Hi Brian1
Thank you a million for getting back to us and getting it clear picture
the memories of yester years i say it certainly started a spark in my old dutches brain
mind you it did stop her complaing abouut me spending time on the forum because i dragg my books out
of a cuboard and don t put them back
but we both appreciated it you putting it on for us and then we was reomissing about the old ladypool road
just up from franks shop at the lights by the brighton arms pub passing the old bag wash as it was with all that steam
Bellowing out the shop windows oppersite the park it was more or less on the opersite side of the road
It would have been the post office there was a road facing it ,but i cannot recall the name at the moment
but at that particular time my old dutchess was working for old frank and we was living in very bad condition.s
In fact it was a bedsit but when the dutchess left franks we moved out
It was noisy damp broken down joint and there was an elderly couple living down stairs rooms
it looked like brother and sister but they was always shouting at each other day and night and
always drunk early in the mornings and all day to be a fact
When we dicussed it the other day looking at the shop and thinking of old frank and our problems we laughed at it
I think some times brian its better to move on and forget the pass but we all to look back and see
where we could all have done better within our live
when i think about the days of good old days of ladypool road and the surronding roads
how nice it was with all those tree,s along the road i say to myself , why on earth did the silly council do it
its a crying shame
thanks brian again best wishes Alan,, Astonian ,,,,,,

Not sure where this picture came from and it may have been on the BHF before. It's a glossy print, about A5 size but there is nothing on the back so can't credit it. We had a lot of prints from our next door neighbour, Arnold Martin, who was a press photographer in the middle of the last century. After he'd died his wife threw out all his glass negatives. She thought nobody would want them!
It looks as though the car outside the billiard hall is mounting the pavement and there is someone watching.

Attachments

• Park Lane0001.jpg
    Park Lane0001.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 128
Not sure where this picture came from and it may have been on the BHF before. It's a glossy print, about A5 size but there is nothing on the back so can't credit it. We had a lot of prints from our next door neighbour, Arnold Martin, who was a press photographer in the middle of the last century. After he'd died his wife threw out all his glass negatives. She thought nobody would want them!
It looks as though the car outside the billiard hall is mounting the pavement and there is someone watching.

Yes it does look as if the car is mounting the pavement. Also see how close to the junction the bus stop is. But then I remember that bus stops often used to be right on the corner. There i a bus stop on Harborne High Street still which is on a junction which might have been OK with the old rear platform buses but modern front entrance buses block the junction when they stop.

The keep left bollard might give an indication of the date, but I can't remember when we went from the words 'KEEP LEFT' to the white arrow on the blue background.

This particular junction is Park Lane and Aston Road North at Aston Cross, perhaps there was a service entrance and the car was unloading.

The date of the photo was obviously prior to 1978 when this photo was taken, the car in question must have been in the process of entering the arched over drive shown in the photo.

Aston Cross 1978[1].jpg

Hi Lady penelope
Yes it as been on here many years ago ,possibly ten years ago.
I have been a member of the forum for thirteen years now going on 14 years this year
And i may had to you that the photograph you have found and put on for us with much appreciated
To us all but more so to me , for the simpil reason being ,
that the picture showing is because where the car is on the pavement out side the billiard hall
and if you look at the picture very closely across the corner by the the traffic lights
you have the chemist on the corner, and follow the wall along side the chemist
going up park lane looking very closely you can see a little opening in an arch shape
just passing that you will see the white shop and then you see another black patch which is a double gate way
which is between two shops and you can see the sign above the second shop
that was my grand fathers shops
the first one was a fish and chip shop the gate way was a big long yard which went right
down the back of the shops meaning the two shops on the front by the black gates
and at the bottom of it was a single terrace house which they owned and rented it out
plus a two story high provisions ware house with offices and a big work shop garage for all there busines cars
the yard was that long it went right down behind all them shops on the back of the main aston road north
my father used to do the reliefe for that billiard hall as along with all the other public houses
around that junction and they use to have the chip shop next to the billiard hall
and they sold it to little cyril a little chap
back of the yard as well was a crocery hire and catureing business as well
and they done all the town hall and city funtions along with the old GPO POST OFICE
My Grand parents was the jelfs family of Aston Tthe coffee house people of Aston Birmingham
once again my Lady Penelope for printying the pic
and whilst i have the opportunetiy to down a copy i will best wishes Astonian ,,

Hi Astonian,
What a lovely informative post. Aston has always played a big part in my life although I didn't live there myself. Mom lived in Upper Thomas Street and we often went to see my aunt and uncle who had a cafe in St Stephen's Street so we went through Aston Cross regularly (first on the 78 tram and then the 65 bus).
My husband lived in Upper Sutton Street and his Nan and Grandad ran the Eagle there just before WW2. Aston Cross was always such a vibrant exciting place and Mom used to go to Thompson's the butcher for their sausages. I used to 'temp' in the sixties and often worked in Aston. It's so hard to think that they've wiped all that neighbourhood out.
By the way, I went to school with a member of the Jelf family and I believe her sister is a member of the forum, she often used to mention 'Auntie Ivy'. I remember a Jelfs cafe not far from the Dunlop, I think it was on the corner of Holly Lane.

Hi Lady Penelope
many thanks for coming back to me and telling me of your up bringing and when you mentionioned aunty Ivy was your friends
sister and she is a member i have a feeling whom your are refereing to as she is a member very true
and she as been for a long time and her mother is my mothers cousin whom is or i should say because my mom died
afew years back unfortunely my mom was the only child to this member of the jelfs whom owned those shops on the aston road
and around birmingham and the city centre from the early 1930,s
and the mr jelf was my mothers grand father whom built up the coffe house brigade way back then around birmingham
along with his sons five sons whom all had a couple of kids each but sadly my mother was the only child to this one whom was ernest jelf each one was given a shop then one by one as they died they left to ivy at the end of the day
901 holly lane was actualy listed as Ivydene 901 tyburn road erdington
yes dunlop was a big supporter to grand father coffee shop by the employers and employees when he died
me and your friend whom i have been in contact with in the last 12 months have met up as we are cousins
and exchanged photos and i have given her alot of knowledge regarding the jelfs history on how they obtainained there wealth
and where they came from and going back centrys of there family tree
they had alot of shops around birmingham in the coffee houses and resturuants and a couple of booking shop[s
we was brought up right next to thompsons butchers shop i was that poor little kid whom used to sit and stand at there gates on the pavement from a very early age the men used to stop and talk to me i have photo of thompsons and the gates where i used to sit at
and i went to upper thomas street school as well
yes aunty ivy never got married she came to my grand fathers funeral in 1969 at victoria road aston
best wishes Alan,, Astonian;;;;

Hi Astonian,
What a lovely informative post. Aston has always played a big part in my life although I didn't live there myself. Mom lived in Upper Thomas Street and we often went to see my aunt and uncle who had a cafe in St Stephen's Street so we went through Aston Cross regularly (first on the 78 tram and then the 65 bus).
My husband lived in Upper Sutton Street and his Nan and Grandad ran the Eagle there just before WW2. Aston Cross was always such a vibrant exciting place and Mom used to go to Thompson's the butcher for their sausages. I used to 'temp' in the sixties and often worked in Aston. It's so hard to think that they've wiped all that neighbourhood out.
By the way, I went to school with a member of the Jelf family and I believe her sister is a member of the forum, she often used to mention 'Auntie Ivy'. I remember a Jelfs cafe not far from the Dunlop, I think it was on the corner of Holly Lane.
My wife taught at Upper Thomas Street 1958 to 1962 and yes you are right there was a Jelfs by Dunlop near Holly Lane.

Bob

Hi Bob
what year did your good lady teach in infants , junior or seniors
yes i know it was jelfs coffee as it was my great dads and great grand mothers shop and my auntie ivy jelf
was the daughter to them and for some reason she never did marry any one
great grand father and my great grand mother being mary ann jelf
my mothers grand father brought and move in and lived there since the 1930,s
and the great grand mother died in sept 1946 and the daughter ivy lived there all her life she died in 1984
She was in her eightys they had thirty five shops from that period and thre or four different busines,s as well as the coffee shops two booking offices as well and his father had a big house in handsworth with house servants
best wishes Astonian;;;;;

Hi Bob
what year did your good lady teach in infants , junior or seniors
yes i know it was jelfs coffee as it was my great dads and great grand mothers shop and my auntie ivy jelf
was the daughter to them and for some reason she never did marry any one
great grand father and my great grand mother being mary ann jelf
my mothers grand father brought and move in and lived there since the 1930,s
and the great grand mother died in sept 1946 and the daughter ivy lived there all her life she died in 1984
She was in her eightys they had thirty five shops from that period and thre or four different busines,s as well as the coffee shops two booking offices as well and his father had a big house in handsworth with house servants
best wishes Astonian;;;;;
She was there 1958/1962, then we moved to Devon, God's own county where we never have rain, only liquid sunshine my lover, thank ee fer all yer bootiful posts!!

Bob

Back