• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Dale End

R

Rod

Can I ask if anyone has a picture of how Dale End was, we have received an inquiry with regard to a picture or two which might have been on the old Forum. Dale End showing Carrs Lane before M&S and as it is now?

Well I can do you the 'how it is now' easily enough, the old pic someone else will have to come up with I'm afraid..

Rod,
There's this one on J. Norton's site (recommended by John Houghton) taken in 1962, if Mr Norton doesn't mind:

BullStDaleEndHighSt.jpg

Mr Norton as said it's OK to use the pictures as long as we acknowledge the fortitude of is father in taking these photographs and keeping them for posterity
and any small donations to Asthma U K would help
https://www.asthma.org.uk/

re. the picture of Dale End. I was one of the PC's who used to do point duty there. We stood on the Bull Street side of the toilets and controlled all the traffic approaching us from each of the adjacent roads, Bull Street, Dale End, and Albert Street. I tried to make a name for myself by asking for a raised box for the policeman to stand on so that drivers could see him better. I was invited to attach my request report to the original file. Officers had been asking the same question since about 1925, and each time it was marked up something like 'this is only a temporary post.' Still, I thoroughly enjoyed the job.

Woodman: did you know anyone by the name of Sheffield or Kent whilst you were a :police:?

That pic doesnt look like me, I had a 'pointy ead'. I recall a Ray Sheffield, but unfortunately I cant remember which exactly which nick. I think he worked from the old Headquarters in Newton Street.

another view looking towards the Coop Carrs lane on the left

Attachments

• City High St 1932.jpg
    City High St 1932.jpg
    173.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited by a moderator:
How about this one

Attachments

• City High St (4).JPG
    City High St (4).JPG
    172.6 KB · Views: 101
Last edited by a moderator:
YES PLEASE ROD, AND WOODMAN, I WOULD LIKE TO SEE, AND DOWN LOAD A PICTURE OF ALBERT ST, AND BULL ST, WHERE HENRY,S USED TO BE , WITH THE TOILETS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD WITH THE POLICE MAN DIRECTING THE TRAFFIC IN THE CENTRE , WHICH WOULD ALSO SHOW THE JACIE PICTURE / THEARTER HOUSE WITH ITS FLASHING ENTERAINMENT RUNNING AROUND,MY GRAND MOTHER BERTHA, VICTORIA JELF , USED TO BRING ME UP THROUH AN ALLEY WAY BETWEEN ALBERT ST, AND CARRS LANE TO THE JACY PICTURES ON THE EVENING WHEN IT WAS DARK AND THE PICTURE HOUSE LOOKED FANTASTIC AND IT LITT UP THE SQAURE, SHE BROUGHT ME UP FROM NEW CANNAL ST, IT RAN FROM NEW CANNAL ST, AND THE SIDING OF FAZELY ST, TO THE TOP OF ALBERT ST, IN 1949, NAN JELF WAS MARRIED TO ERNEST JELF, BEST WISHES ASTONIAN ;;;;

Mark Nortons Book

Hi

just obtained a copy of Marks Book. Intial problem of
Publishers. Got this copy at Waterstones Stratford upon Avon.
Great Book and a tribute to him and his Dad for these wonderful
Photographs.
The book asks us some searching questions. Clearly without
Colmore Row Birmingam would have been destroyed.
Some of old v new leave you wondering how such beautiful
buildings were destroyed and replaced with some strage square blocks.
Grear Book well done Mark plus your Dad:)

Mike Jenks

Found this photo of Dale End which I would never have been able to place without being told the location. It's around 1910. I wonder if Mikejee could pinpoint these buildings on a map please?

image.jpeg

Viv.

Viv
The numbered OS map of c 1950 would seem to indicate a slight shift in numbering (probably due to rebuilding after bombing) compared to the c 1903 map below, but Hedges Chemists were nos 10, 11 & 12 Dale end, and on the map below I am pretty sure the two buildings marked in red were nos 11 & 12. That would make the newer-looking office buildings to the left of Hedges the offices of the Birmingham City Electrical Supply Dept. To the left of these was nos 17 & 18, and the wide entrance half shown on the far edge of the photo would have been the Imperial Arcade, which I have marked in green as it is not named on the map. If you enlarge the photo and sharpen it you can just make out the "RIS" of Harris (from William Edward Harris, printers) on the 1st floor board on no 17. they are not listed there in the 1900 Kellys, but are there in 1903. Lawden & Poole, coppersmiths, (on the board sticking out from no 17) were not there in the 1910 Kellys, but there in 1912. therefore the earliest date for the photo(allowing for difference in Kellys between collection of data and publication) is 1910. Lawden continues to feature on the electoral rolls till 1935, but Harris disappears between 1922 & 1925. therefore it would seem that the photo was taken between 1910 and 1924

Attachments

• map c 1903 dale end showing nos 11, & 12 and imperial arcade.jpg
    map c 1903 dale end showing nos 11, & 12 and imperial arcade.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 39
This is the Dale End I remember, a slightly out of the way street to me. Trams used to travel along it to Martineau St but that was before this photo was taken.
index.php

(existing forum pic only visible here if logged in)
Today's scene via Google Streetview is here https://goo.gl/maps/XumLG4crniq

Last edited:
That's very helpful Mike, thank you. You've also located the Imperial Arcade for us - often wondered where that was.

Yes Lyn, a very dull scene these days. Really hard to imagine it as it once was. Using Phil's Google link haven't been able to find any hint of buildings pre-1960s.

Thanks Phil for your photo too. Viv.

Two images from the Shoothill site. The first is a cabbies shelter on Dale End. The second is a view of the junction of Moor Street and Dale End. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Viv

Going back to post #13 perhaps this will help you locate Hedges Chemists a little more accurately. As the original photo shows there have been quite a few changes to Dale End over the years. In the original photo we can see has been taken from the bottom of Bull Street and the top of Albert Street. Albert Street has now been moved further along Dale End, but used to be where Mac Donald's is now, the chemist shop is behind the bus. I would say somewhat just short of where the multi- storey car park is now.

Attachments

• Dale End (2).jpg
    Dale End (2).jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Back