• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alexandra Street Ladywood

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
got a feeling this maybe ladywood area but not sure...

alexandra st/off shakespeare road 1964

Lyn
Below is a map c 1914 showing alexandra st runnibg between shakespeare rd and king edwards rd. However i am not so sure now, as there is no largish map between 1918 and 1955 , and the 1955 map shows an open space inclduding the marked shed and the houses to the right of it. If this is bomb damage then it can't be the shed, as i would guess the picture is immediate post war
mike

mapc1914showingalexandrastandposssiteofshedinpic.jpg

hi mike..thanks a lot for that map..the date given in 64 and if you look on the wall the word mods is painted so i guess that would be about right...

lyn

hi mike yes it was alexander street which ran from and in between king edwards rd and shakespear rd ladywood and if any think that particular site was near end to shakespear street
bottom end of the street was in tact in 64 ; and it would have been three parts up the rd near end to shakespear street as i recall and also i can recall the dandy family
living up alexander street during the sixtys and the fiftys ; they had a tough repution but also i think our fellow member moss, will be able to recal it as well as he was from shakespear street
and i was from king edwards rd we boyh new alot of people with in that area of and of the gangs such as the alley cats of ladywood some are well known kids whom have been mentioned in the past on this forum meaning there familys ;they certainly had a reputation ;
have a nice day mike and every body else best wishes astonian

Hi guys i am researching the named above street i ladywood and i was wondering whether or not is there any pictures around that street that anybody as got could possibly show on the forum as i have a big intrest on this one tracking my relatives from far bak in time best wishes and a merry christamas to you all Alan,, Astonian,,,

Hi Dib44
Many thanks for digging out and researching the Alexander street aand for displaying the street pics of it
and now i will get on better with my research of the street brillient and i will down load them now
best wishes DIB 44
HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU FOR 2017 Astonian;;;;;

The street in 1967. Looks likely the lady with the baby lived on the near-end house where the baby clothes are hanging on the washing line. Pinney-wearing neighbours admiring the baby girl, one just off to get a bit of shopping. And mums ‘slip’ is showing! Two houses further along the row seem to be boarded up, so possibly an image taken not long before demolition. Viv.

811EF838-760E-4A9A-82C3-9C1CA48EF7B8.jpeg

Back