• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham Nightclubs of the Past - Memories

Hi..glad to see someone else out there enjoyed life too..feel sorry for the younger generation having missed out on good night life. We probably were there at the same time..I was considered a townie never found out why..moved out of Birmingham 1973 but have very happy memories of city centre.

Hi Cleetie. I too was a Townie, and life was a ball! I left Birmingham in 1964 but the fab times will live in my memory forever. Did we know each other I wonder??

Judy

i went to the Ritz kings heath and locarno and enjoyed the night life then pity the younger kids dont have the friends we had and the fun that will never be repeated as those times are sadly past

Some brilliant stories on this thread! I wish I'd been around to go to the Whiskey a go to, but as I went born until '66 that will have to remain a dream!!

I was a modette (as we called them,) second time around in 1979 and 1980 and used to go skating at the Silver Blades on a Monday night, no idea why now, and on Wednesdays the Windsor in Bearwood used to have a under 18 club which was great, memories of dancing my legs off to all the fantastic music. I used to wear my mom's old '60's stilettos which ruined my feet, but oh! I felt so smart!

My Town clubbing days started around '83/84 and the first club I ever went to was Peppermint Place at the top of Broad Street, it was tiny in there! I remember getting chatted up by this lad who would not take no for a answer and my best mates brother who was with us pretended to be my boyfriend!

I used to go to Faces, Tressines, Snobs (but wasn't really keen on it there!), Pagoda Park, The Powerhouse, The Dome, Sam Wellers ( was a regular in there during 1987/88), Millionaires, The Bar St Martin (The Mulberry Bush after the bombings), mom used to hate me going there, so I used just not say anything, it stemned from her workmates being in the Tavern in the Town the night of the bombings, thankfully they had left the pub 30 minutes before the bomb went off. I also went in the Yard of Ale once, which was what it was renamed, but it had a strange atmosphere and I was glad to get out of there.

Also liked Le Pub and Cagney's off New Street, a good meeting point for us as the buses used to drop by there.

I used to love pubbing and clubbing in the '80's, getting dressed up and going out after finishing work on a Friday night, great days.

Some brilliant stories on this thread! I wish I'd been around to go to the Whiskey a go to, but as I went born until '66 that will have to remain a dream!!

Don't fret Brummygirl66 you seemed to have a full clubbing life during your wild years.
the 60's was a special era as it took that long to get over the war and Mr Hitler. So as you would we made the best of what we had and yes the Whisky a go go was a special place while it lasted, thanks for the mention.

Chetwyns (2).jpg Whisky boys in margate 1966.jpg

Thanks Bob, I certainly did enjoy my clubbing days, good times.

I'm just amazed looking back how much energy I had then, I was working at the DHSS in Smethwick, my first job and on Fridays I would wait at the steps for my granddad to finish work at the Birmid and walk down, we would then catch the 445 home to Bearwood, I would have my tea and then straight away started to get ready! I'd wait for my best mate who lived on the same road and we would catch the 128/9 into Town, meet up with some other friends in Le Pub and then walk down to Sam Wellers, where we would spend the rest of the evening standing by the DJ booth, sometimes the bouncers would open the fire escape doors as it got so hot in there and because we were regulars, would let us stand by the door and cool down.

We drank half a lager and lime or if it was a special occasion like my 21st, Malibu and pineapple, a proper '80's drink!

While we were in Sams we would decide which club we were going to after or sometimes we went to a place called Legs 11 above the Eagle? It used to stay open later than the pub's but wasn't really a club, I wasn't that keen on it but if we were in a fairly large group it was ok.

Went to the Gary Owen a couple of times in the early '90's as I knew one of the barmaids there, it was ok, never saw any trouble in there either in the club or outside, the bouncers were pretty strict.

All in all I had some really good times and I think that it has got worse, my husband is a Private Hire Driver who works nights and some of the things he tells me would make your hair curl!!

I don't think this has ever appeared on the Forum before, certainly not in my post #356 to which it really refers - the opening night of Ronnie Scott's Club in Birmingham in the autumn of 1991. On the left, the late Ronnie Scott, and on the right, well-known jazz fan, Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts. Sorry for the quality of the picture, which was a scan from John Fordham's book.

Maurice

Attachments

• Scotts_Brum_1991.jpg
    Scotts_Brum_1991.jpg
    545.4 KB · Views: 30
W
I don't think this has ever appeared on the Forum before, certainly not in my post #356 to which it really refers - the opening night of Ronnie Scott's Club in Birmingham in the autumn of 1991. On the left, the late Ronnie Scott, and on the right, well-known jazz fan, Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts. Sorry for the quality of the picture, which was a scan from John Fordham's book.

Maurice

Maurice,

What is not generally well known is that Charlie Watts, when not playing with the Rolling Stones, is a great jazz fan.

A few year's ago, Charlie formed a big band, playing all the great jazz numbers, with himself on drums. Around 1980, I had a meeting with Kenney Jones, the drummer with the Small Faces, and later, the The Faces, with Rod Stewart. Kenney turned up with his pal Charlie Watts, and we had a great conversation about the jazz scene. Charlie knew all the jazz drummers, and they are his real heroes.

I worked with Ronnie Scott in the fifties, at the Bournbrook Hotel, and I believe that you also worked with him.

Eddie

I belonged to Ronnie Scotts Club in the early 60s when it was held at the Mermaid on Stratford Road.

Eddie,

At a cost of some £30,000, Charlie got together a big band with two other drummers and they played an event at Ronnie Scott's Club. I don't have the full personnel of this band, but as Charlie footed the bill, it comprised all the people he himself liked, which included Stan Tracey on piano, Danny Moss, Bobby Wellins, Alan Skidmore, Don Weller, & Courtney Pine, and, of course, it was loud! Charlie was on drums along with John Stevens and Bill Eyden. Pete King with jazz critic Richard Williams were reportedly propping up the bar when this mammoth performance started, and after a few minutes, Williams asked Pete King what he thought of it. After a few seconds thought, Pete responded "Needs another couple of drummers".

I never actually worked with Ronnie as each time he came to the Parkstone Jazz Club he brought his own keyboard player and drummer - John Mealing on C3 Hammond and I think his drummer at that time must have been South African Bobby Gien. So for me it was merely renewing acquaintances with Ronnie, who I'd met on several occasions when the Jazz Couriers played frequent Sunday nights at the Golden Cross,Aston Cross in the late 1950s. By the time (mid-1970s) of the Parkstone residency, John Mealing had calmed down quite a lot - he'd been quite wild in his younger days - and he more resembled Mike Carr, who he had replaced. Happy days!

Maurice

Fine thank you Mo, glad you two are as well. You brought back memories of Studio One at the Aston Cross with your post!

Yes, great nights there, Judy, it was always such a polished and professional sound. Somewhere on the Forum I think we had a snapshot of your Ronnie Scott's Birmingham Branch Membership Card, but I can't remember the thread or whether it was lost in the hacking. Such a shame we didn't have digital cameras in those days! :)

Maurice

Here's my membership card for Ronnie Scott's Club in 1961, Mo

Attachments

• Ronnie Scotts.jpg
    Ronnie Scotts.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 36
Good afternoon Judy,

Yes, that's the one - and 30 years before Alan Sartori & Barry Sherwin opened the club in Broad Street, and we and many others had long left Brum! It's great that you've still got it. I hung onto my RAF Band card from 1955 and it sat in various wallets over the years, but now it has disappeared and I'm not sure whether I have seen it since we've been in Crete. Thanks for posting it again.

Maurice

Bel Air here we come!
Hi Folks, it was a Friday morning sometime during first half of 1969 when petite Jenny came into the large office where I worked. Jenny was nice enough but to be frank she was a bit of a plain Jane, I'd seen and spoken to her a number of times and I must have been feeling particularly philanthropic that morning - I felt a bit sorry for her. I'd concluded she wasn't perhaps getting her fair share of dates, perhaps she hadn't even been to a nightclub (I was 19 and she was a bit younger) and it had fallen at my door to put matters right.

When she got close to my workplace I engaged her in polite conversation and asked if she was going out clubbing at the weekend, she said she had no plans and that was my cue to invite her to The Belfry (I need some help here, was it called the Bel Air in 1969?) Anyway she accepted and arrangements were made. We arrived at the Belfry and made our way to the dance floor, actually she was quite a good mover and we enjoyed a few dances before I asked if she would like a drink she said yes so we found a table and I disappeared to the bar, when I got back she was talking to a guy which took me aback, anyway he left after a few minutes and we sat chatting and then another guy turned up and started chatting, and that was the pattern all night! We did have the odd dance but I think she thought she was obligated - as soon as we returned to our table some guy would turn up (they were all different) to engage her in conversation, even when she was a long time powdering her nose I'd got a pretty good idea why.

It came to light Plain Jane was almost The Queen of Clubs and had a long list of admirers, I felt completely side-lined I'd been a Knight in Shining Armor (or so I thought) and it had all gone pear-shaped. It was obvious she was only dancing with me out of courtesy because I'd taken her there and I quickly realised that if we had decided to go our separate ways she would have found a suitor in no time at all. I wasn't the sort to abandon a maiden even if she wasn't in distress so I soldiered on through the evening, prepared for the response I going home with "..........." when the time came to leave. As it happened she she did go home with me; not long after the experience I began to see the funny side of things.

I'm pretty sure there is a moral there somewhere but I don't know what it is.

Ah well! That's life.

Regards,
Peg.
Belfry wave cloud.jpg

Last edited:
My favourite was the Run Runner in Broad Street, we used to call in at the Tow Rope all night Cafe which was across the road from the Rum Runner. Wonder if anyone remembers it

Hi Babs 1941. Yes I remember the Tow Rope and I'm sure it's mentioned on another thread. I'm still trying to work out how I managed on so little sleep in those days - and whether I remembered to take my false eyelashes off before I collapsed into bed for a few hours.

Anyone got any memories and information about nighclubs in Brum, from any time last century?

Some names of ones that I remember and went to...

Samanthas (was over Silver Blades ice skating rink in Hurst? St)

Pollyannas (Newhall? St.)

The Locarno (definitely Hurst St. with the Bali Hai one at the back)
I remember this band..
John Kerton fronted the successful U.K. function band Red Sun who were the resident band at the Birmingham Locarno for eight years. https://www.brumbeat.net/andicaps.htm

Just found this out
The Tower Ballroom closes its doors at the end of 2005 after more than 50 years https://www.saga.co.uk/1057fm/pages/lisEvent.asp?id=5373
went there once...

Snobs (didn't like that one much)

There was one in the same road where Bingley Hall was (can't remember what it was called..brain's not working too good lately :D) saw Herbie Hancock there...and Deaf School, and AC/DC :eek: (not my choice...just a crowd I was with at the time)

Any more? ...or any memories? :)
Hi does anyone remember Pagoda Park in the late 80,s early 90's. The general mangers were Peter Clements vollowed by Mike Hillkeen. This was an excellent club over 3 floors, DJ on a lift. Fantastic days.

I was going to the Ridgeway, The Monte Carlo and the Rialto back in the late 70's, great nights.

On leaving all of the above I used to go to Mama Gees "Rustie Lees dumpling shop on Soho Hill" does anyone remember that.

Hi carl
yes i can recall them venue,s i used to go to them all main one thou for me was the monty
and i recall rusty,s and her dumplings always bought some to eat on the way home late nights
doing the pub crawls al the way upp to west brom high street last port of call the star and garter on the old high street
then making our way to the monty
we now have within the worc city centre a great guy of westian ,whom has brought the jamican style food
into the city and yes he as good fryed dumplings just like rustys and other continental dishes
to sit around or take aways , i myself always stop and buy the dumplings some i take home and reheat
or whilst with the old dutchess i will eat one or two walking or i will wait out side old marks and sparks store eating them
until she comes out from shopping good old days and he plays is music he is certainly bringing in the custom
he certainly gets a que lineing up best wishes Astonian,,,, Alan,,,,

Hi Alan

I adore West Indian food.

Birmingham is starting to get its fair share of Caribbean takeaways and restaurants.

I've only joined this forum today, and I want to put my memories of growing up in Birmingham in the 70's, to present.

A great city with great people.

I'm the old school type, you know deals done on a word and a handshake etc.

My stomping ground was Handsworth from 1976 through to 1980 then it was the city centre.

I've got great memories.

I'm really enjoying this forum.

Ok people here goes. Does anyone remember the following:

An Indian restaurant on Bristol Street called "The Shah Bhah" I had my first brummie curry in there in 1980, fantastic.

Mathews Electronics, Hurst Street. This shop was run by a guy called Keith, top bloke.

The Holloway pub on Holloway Head, now a lap dancing club.

Cagney & Lacey bar on Canon Street.

The Matador pub outside the Bullring Market.

Druckers Vienna Patisserie that was located on the ground floor of the old Bull Ring in the late 70's early 80's.

Kalidescope bar that was next to Sam Wellers in the city centre.

Lots more memories.

Astonian, I noticed your thread "Farm Street, Hockley"

I used to drink in the Queens with Paul Mooney, Louis, Eugine etc, do these names ring any bells with you.

Back