• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Springhill Ice rink Summerhill Road

Only just got back on site, Hope you folk's are all well .May Itake this time to wish you ALL a very Happy Christmas & Great New Year 2017
Can any one tell me were have all the picture's gone ?

Only just seen this post is that your dad Eric Grinsell ? ask him if he remembers Keith Jenney we skated together back in the late 50s .If I am correct please wish him well from me All the very best.
Hi there i was friend of your dad Eric Grinsell he was one hell of a skater and was a old Mohark i used to sit with david Southhall and i believe your dads mum and dad was landlords of a pub wish him all the best from me Dave Davies

no mate, my dad worked at belliss and morcomb in ledsam st during the 50s he was a works policeman and worked parttime at the rink in the evening.
hin there i was a apprentice at Beliss &Morcomb and knew your dad i started in 1952

Miss all the many skating friends from the old rink,just wonder what they are doing right now, so glad Phil is still posting, ;0))
I meet Pete Jenning's a month or two back sad to say it was at the funeral of another great friend Art Hambidge (Old Mohawk speed skater& Baron Hockey player )
Hope we can keep this thread alive in memory of some great folk's

I would like to wish all you skater's both past & present a very HAPPY CHRISTMAS & NEW YEAR 2017.regards THE BARON

The Baron then & now Good time roll

Attachments

• Samsung phone download 4.05.2016 001.jpg
    Samsung phone download 4.05.2016 001.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Samsung phone download 4.05.2016 020.jpg
    Samsung phone download 4.05.2016 020.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 33
Hi there i was friend of your dad Eric Grinsell he was one hell of a skater and was a old Mohark i used to sit with david Southhall and i believe your dads mum and dad was landlords of a pub wish him all the best from me Dave Davies

Hello Dave. Sorry only just seen this . I'll be speaking to Dad later so I'll ask him but sure he will. He has a great memory. He hasn't been too well lately but he battles on. His mum and dad were Landlords of the drakes drum and the Shakespeare in town. He talks about skating a lot and we all occasionally see Dave Boddington and Jean and Ken Pendry.

Nice to hear from you Emma

Thanks Phil, Did you ever hear from Eric Grinsell again ?

Hiya. Dad is not online but I am ( his daughter ) happy to pass any messages on. Glad you are all still on this forum. I promised ages ago I would dig out some old pics and post them but it didn't happen. I definitely will as I know mum and dad know where they are and it will be fairly simple to do . Emma

Hi my mom and dad met at the Old rink and married. Johny Morris was best man. My Dad was Harold Fairfax mother Margaret Brown. Dad passed away in 1985 but mom still going strong at 85.

My father, Harold, doing his national service early 50s. Rememer dad mentioning a few that appear in picture reg, teddy, Ron. Going in skates over to pub for drinks and such antics as running the boards.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1518837273858.jpg
    FB_IMG_1518837273858.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 9
Looks like RAF uniform .... all young men had two years National Service to do in the 1950s giving us a different kind of 'fun' which many of us have posted about in the forum's large National Service thread. A pic of my badge in the post link below
https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/national-service.513/page-45#post-522028
Hi old Mohawk. Did you and I train together on Sunday mornings at Summerhill when you were doing your National Service?

Hi old Mohawk. Did you and I train together on Sunday mornings at Summerhill when you were doing your National Service?
Hi MohawkBrave,
I certainly trained at the ice rink on Sunday mornings and here is a Sunday morning pic and as you will see we are both in the pic.
oldmohawk
mh.jpg

I think they closed the ice rink and changed it to a roller rink when they opend Silver Blades in town buy Hurst Street , i also used to go bowling there. You lot have an incredible memory for detail :eek:
Yes it did become roller rink, I used to go there in 60s

I used to ice skate at Spring Hill Dave, did they close ithe ice rink down :?: I couldn't do any of the fancy stuff mind, I was lucky if I managed to get round a corner without falling over.On Monday night they had speed skating, and we all stood and watched teams of the glorious youth of the day in tight black suits. 8)
Does anyone remember the name of the bar at the roller rink? ( not the hasty tasty)

Only just got back on site, Hope you folk's are all well .May Itake this time to wish you ALL a very Happy Christmas & Great New Year 2017
Can any one tell me were have all the picture's gone ?

Hey does anyone remember the name of the bar at the roller rink.? ( I don’t mean the hasty tasty).

Tommy C

Back