• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

The Cross Keys Steward Street, Ladywood

hi julian;
the guy whom bought off your grand father was an old time friend by the name f bonner hollond whom bought it for his daughter and her husband
bonner s wife was name elsie ; sorry i have to be briefe as i have got to go out ;
your grand father always kept his big trophy in the window of the shop along with thefight he won it i will come back to you soon ; best wihes astonian;;

Wonderful story and photo's. As Lyn says thank you for the time and effort you have taken to share them with us.

Watty and Julia Green with their sons Dennis and Louis in the early days of World War 2. Elder son George Green would have already been overseas with his regiement, the Royal Warwickshires at this time.
1940s Watty, Julia, Dennis & Lou Green.jpg

1960s Watty Green at the Hall Green Greyhound Racing Track with sons George, Dennis, Lou and a number of close relations and friends with whom he made a "book".
1966_05_14 Walter John, George, Dennis, Louis, Wally, Tony, Graham Green, Alan Overthrow, Kenny .jpg

George Green, my Father, recognizes himself in a photo taken in circa 1917 in the Cross Keys pub ...88 years ago! Published in the the Evening Mail in 2005. The original article was regarding the raffling off of the Cross Keys pub by the current owner.
2005_04 Dad Evening mail.jpg

Last edited:
hi julian;
the guy whom bought off your grand father was an old time friend by the name f bonner hollond whom bought it for his daughter and her husband
bonner s wife was name elsie ; sorry i have to be briefe as i have got to go out ;
your grand father always kept his big trophy in the window of the shop along with thefight he won it i will come back to you soon ; best wihes astonian;;

Hello Astonian,

I do recall the name Bonner being exchanged in conversations between my Father and his brothers and sisters when they would get together for various family occasions.

I hadn't heard about the trophy in the window though or what it represented. I do know that Watty was keen on training and racing anything that moved from pigeons, greyhounds, horses and people. I understand that he promoted many boxing matches and befriended the boxers themselves. We took Dad back to the Keys a number of times as he got older and he talked about the building fondly but I don't recall him mentioning a trophy. My uncle Lou may have some recollection so I will ask his son to ask him (I live in Canada now so I have to reach out via email).

hi julian what a wonderful man your grandfather watty green was..really enjoyed reading your post and looking at the photos you have posted..this is just the sort of thing we love to see on the forum...many thanks for taking the time to share your family history with us all...oh i neally forgot to say that i am often out and about with my camera and ladywood is of interest to me so if i am near stuart street would you like me take some pics of the cross keys for you..

lyn

Yes, please Lyn! I live in Canada these days so it would be nice to see some current images of the building.

Julian

hi julian;
IF my memorory seves me correctly it was the big belt it may have been the longdale boat ;or it was another belt but it was a belt with a large
framed picture in a frame with the opponent whom they was fighting for it ; that part i cannot say whom the opponet was or the year it was won;
i used to used is shop daily for beting as well; i think it was in 1966 grand nationional when Ayala won the race ;
i got the second and the third and fourth winner in that race and i got a good pay out from watty also my poor old mother whom never betted in her life
put her last tanner in her purse on Ayale and she cryed ; when ayala won the race it was sixty six to one
but getting back to old watty and bonner ; bonner was the birmingham league of pigeons winnner for years we lived next door to bonner and his pigeons
he used to go barmy at us because he would let his pigeons out and he would be inside his house and fairly often from time to time our big cat blackie was a huge intelient cat and stalked and walked like a panther even across the rd the cars would stop for him and he would just stop and look up at them
then carry on ; he ised to get up on his hind legs and used is other two to rattle the door handle to let him in;
but he was a bit of a character because from time to time he would always go for bonners birds and nabb one it was alway one of his prize bird ;
speaking of prizes i think it was your father or one of waty juniors sons i cannot think of his christian name
but may be he was a cousin to youbut he was a watty green son whom took up boxing and i watched him on the television one night in his first or seconf fight
it waanother late night television boxing progrme and e was definatly taking after the watty ;
all uslocals was glued to our teles ; that night and yes e did win ; i cannot thn of his christian name but it was also veryifyed by the tv annoncer whom he was
as i said i thin it wa his 1st or second fight ; i am a truly dedicated fight fan fanatic; whenit come to boxing ;
bonners wife Elsie was like a film star always dressed to kill and always wore long diamond ea rings and a very prety woman any man would be proud to have her on his arm she stood out from the crowd my mother and her was the best of friends ;
as you say asked your relie about the belt it was definately in the window with the picture of him boxing his opponents iyt was watty junoir or the grand father
and every night he would take it out of the window and put it back in the next morning ;
like we all say thanks for your input to our forum ; but pleae persue your relie and asked the christian name of the last watty green junior whom took up boxing ;did he finish his carrer i cannot remember but i know it wasisfirst or second bout and it was recorded on television live ;
look foreward to hearing from you again soon we hope ; best wishes Astonian;

hi Julian ,I am the wife of John Green ,grandson of Wattys brother John. I have the family tree on Ancestry,where the bible can be seen. I will send you a PM with my Email. Best regards Busy Lizzie

Lyn: As far as I know Stuart Street is in Aston/Nechells.
The street you'd be looking for in Ladywood would be Steward Street, off Spring Hill.
Charlie x

Lyn: As far as I know Stuart Street is in Aston/Nechells.
The street you'd be looking for in Ladywood would be Steward Street, off Spring Hill.
Charlie x

oops my error charlie..the title of the thread says stuart st but of course it is steward st...i was down there a couple of years back and took some pics but i cant find them now so will take some more next time im down that way

lyn x

HI CHARLIE ;
quite correct indeed i do beleive knows where it is andyes i think she did have a pic; of it
along time ago ; but it was the orininal one as well ; but i am just thinkingit is possible changed the front now as to what it orinional was
and that the last time i seen it they had a redelvelopment going on in the builders have extented the bars right back from what it was
i did actual take a picture of the builders ther going in and out with materials so they may have changed the front view very dramicicialy
it was only a tiny pub very little in height and windows and doors i think lin said she will try and sort out the orininal one for jules
and i do know that bonner he is sp[eaking of was great friends in common more many years ; astonian

All very interesting about Crosskeys and Steward Street. You all are living in the 1950's and I am doing research about Steward Street 100 years before in 1850's when my husband's great grandparents were living there. When I was there in 2012 it was hard to imagine 162 years back. So glad you all are bringing all this out in the 1950's. By the 1950's our Warden family had all deceased. One question is the Colourall on Steward Street similar to the colour lab where our gg grandfather George Warden worked in 1840's?

I know there were other Wardens living in the area of Birmingham and suspect they might be brothers and nephews of our George Warden. One was an engraver and frame maker and our own great grandfather Thomas Warden was a jeweller and continued as a jeweller when he came to New York about 1966 and also in Providence, RI where he is buried.

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=WAR&GSpartial=1&GSbyrel=all&GScntry=5&GSsr=2841&GRid=100385294& Here is where our Warden family is buried at Key Hill Cemetery.

I love this reliving history and so much yet to learn. Keep it all coming

Janelle Warden

Cross Keys building had certainly changed in 2012...and I suppose in 1850 it was entirely different too. Wish I could see pictures from the 1860's-1920 when our great aunt Sarah Warden was living there. And the Hands family too. Leonora Hands married our George Warden. A trip back to Birmingham would be great! but for now guess it will have to wait.

Janelle Warden

My granddaughter Emilia is the 3 x G granddaughter of Walter and Julia, via their son Louis (her dad's granddad, who sadly passed away just a couple of years back). I am loving learning about this side of her family history.

Hi Astonia I have read your thread to my husband and he is very chuffed, His grandad was Watty's brother John Green.My husbands father used to take Watty out in his car when Watty was too old to drive.That is how my husband remembers him. He does not know any of Watty's family which is a shame. I have done some research on him for our family tree,and we hold the family bible with his name written in. His father Walter had a pub in Eyre street , but he died ,and his wife died shortly after and all the children were split up which is very sad. I know he was a very generous man. best regards Lizzie
Hello 'BusyLizzie'. Watty Green is (was) my granddaughter's 2xGgrandfather on her dad's side. Here she is pictured with her great grandfather Louis Green (son of Watty, so your husbands great uncle?) in July 2013. Louis sadly died in 2015 - aged 94!

Attachments

• 971152_10200844306724338_525057443_n.jpg
    971152_10200844306724338_525057443_n.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 24
Cross Keys building had certainly changed in 2012...and I suppose in 1850 it was entirely different too. Wish I could see pictures from the 1860's-1920 when our great aunt Sarah Warden was living there. And the Hands family too. Leonora Hands married our George Warden. A trip back to Birmingham would be great! but for now guess it will have to wait.

Janelle Warden

Hello, Janelle. I have a few photos of The Cross Keys from the turn of the century for you to view...

Attachments

• The Cross Keys Pub, Ladywood 01.1.jpg
    The Cross Keys Pub, Ladywood 01.1.jpg
    337.9 KB · Views: 28
  • The Cross Keys Pub, Ladywood 02.jpg
    The Cross Keys Pub, Ladywood 02.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 30
Hello 'BusyLizzie'. Watty Green is (was) my granddaughter's 2xGgrandfather on her dad's side. Here she is pictured with her great grandfather Louis Green (son of Watty, so your husbands great uncle?) in July 2013. Louis sadly died in 2015 - aged 94!

Hello. CornishBrummie! Louis was my uncle. My Father was George Green. I'm trying to figure out who you are as we are trying to put the family tree together. Please message me if you prefer to remain anonymous on the forum.
Cheers,
Julian.

Back