• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Black Country Museum

may see you there simon...ive been 4 times already this year..got one of those unchained tickets..dont forget the fish and chips either before or after the bottle and glass lol

lyn

may see you there simon...ive been 4 times already this year..got one of those unchained tickets..dont forget the fish and chips either before or after the bottle and glass lol

lyn

I will keep a look out for you Lyn:). The unchained tickets are fantastic value, its a great place to visit.

Simon

Hi Everyone,
We bought an unchained ticket last summer to go to the 40's weekend. We managed to use it again for the same special weekend this year and have been in between, when it was quieter, to look more closely at the buildings. If you buy the ticket on-line apart from the bonus of the discount you don't have to queue when you get there - just go straight through and head for the shop where they will sort your pass out. Don't forget to print out the paperwork to take with you. Parker likes all the WW2 vehicles and I like to see all the costumes both of the people who work there and the visitors. On these special days they have a park and ride which is free.
This summer I found myself teaching some little girls how to skip with a long rope tied to a lamp post. I even managed to remember some of the rhymes - 'I'm a little girl guide' and 'teddy bear, teddy bear' to name a couple. I could never quite manage the two ropes going in opposite directions though!

Black Country museum 1980's.jpg I have only visited once with my late Wife not long after it opened, poured with rain all day!!! Must be at least 30 years ago. No doubt there as been numerous features/buildings added since then. Have attached a painting based on my visit. Eric

hi pen...i also have an unchained pass for the bcm...pay once and get in for nothing for a year..all expect for the themed evening events...i go at least 5 or 6 times a year..love the place and i am constantly taking my hat off to the people of the black country who about 40 years ago had a vision..a great vision to preserve their heritage and are still adding to it...something that i am sorry to say was and is badly lacking in our fair city...

lyn

Hi Lyn,
Totally agree with your last comment. If only we'd saved a few more things. Well done to the folk at the BCM for having the foresight to build the museum.

Eric. this was taken before your visit as the shop was not yet completed.

Attachments

• blackcountrymus8.jpg
    blackcountrymus8.jpg
    399.5 KB · Views: 15
hi pen and of course we have nothing left now to save..well not on the same scale as the bcm...i am waiting for the 1st of sept..thats when the tickets go on sale for their evening christmas event...they put 3 nights on last year and within 3 days they were sold out so they put another night on and by the time i found out that two was a sell out:( i am determined to get there this christmas..

lyn

Think we should have more museums like this. Let's face it there'd be plenty of historical buildings which could be moved to one. And there's no shortage of visitors to these places. Must be great to work there too. Viv.

i agree viv but it should have been done many years ago..the st georges day concert is no more and the sheldon fest i went to yesterday could be the last one...with the cut backs and lack of funding we have these days there is no chance of this happening now...yet another sad fact

lyn

fantastic news viv....once again well done to the black country for not only having the vision over 40 years ago to create what they have now but also the vision to bring us forward to the 1960s..it just goes to prove that if you have the love of your history and heritage in your hearts anything is possible..preservation not destruction is my motto...i wish them well..:)

lyn

Last edited:
Glad they did not extend it to the 70s, else someone might want to centre it on a version of the library that has , thankfully, just been demolished

I recently signed up as a volunteer with the Transport Group at the museum although living so far away I can't really use my membership to full advantage. We provide the vintage transport within the museum, something we are very proud of. The new plans look very exciting and I really hope they get approved. I love the artists impression which includes a Wolverhampton trolleybus heading though the proposed 1950s town, hopefully on occasions I will be on the platform as the conductor :)

Simon

DING DING simon...i shall be one of your first passengers then:D very exciting news

lyn

Presumably the BCLM wish to create a time line which would show townscapes over the period 19th. and up to 21st. century eventually. In my neck of the woods we have plenty of historical towns and villages which have buildings - usually churches or some form of fortified building , which in themselves are a kind of timeline, dating back to Norman times.

This is great. A 1940s - 60s town to be recreated at the Museum. Includes a library, Marsh & Baxters, pub, bowling green .... These are all existing buildings to be moved to the Museum.

We need more of this in other areas. If only Brum could do this - let's face it, there's no lack of buildings such as the Golden Lion at Cannon Hill and others on the brink of collapse (before mysterious fires seal their fate). Viv.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/wh...lack-country-living-museum-expansion-13189197

saw this on the news earlier viv i am so excited...well done to the black country... still putting birmingham to shame

Back