• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Birmingham museum and art gallery.

You can now see BM & AG from Paradise Circus (near Summer Row and Sandpits roadworks) thanks to the fact that the old Central Library is now gone (well most of it)

I remember a tiger and other animals, also a collection of penguins.
My favourites will always be the Egyptian mummies and the geology section.
Last time there was a display about mother-of-pearl button-making, but I haven't been for a long time now.
rosie.

I've got a very vague memory of stuffed animals, but don't remember a crab. Sounds awful!
The crab was about 4 foot across its legs, horrible looking thing but I always had to see it every time I visited. Car Crash viewing or what. I spent hours in the bird section, I didn,t realise seagulls could grow so big, though to be fair there were not many in Brum, I was only about ten.

I love penguins - wish I could remember them. The crab sounds nightmarish.
Ages ago I had a dream about a lot of stuffed animals, which was probably based on these buried memories. The dinosaur used to terrify me, even as an adult. The pterodactyl was quite something as well.

If they are not in BM & AG now it's because they moved them to Thinktank.

Leopard seen at Thinktank in 2014.

Blackbuck

Polar bear

Anything that isn't at Thinktank might be at the Museums Collection Centre in Nechells.

Cant believe you don't remember that crab Maria, remember the Grizzly bear. I used to stand about a yard away from the glass case, it looked so real. I will never forget the eyes and the fangs of that tiger. Imagine walking round there about 3 in the morning!!!!!!!. Sweet dreams. Only joking. I,ve been in some museums in my time around the world but none have come anywhere near like Birmingham.

Thanks for the photos, ellbrown. I think my dream was based on them and similar...must have blocked the frightening crab out of my mind, alan!!

No problem Maria.

When I went to the Museum Collections Centre 4 years ago (on an open day), didn't really go for the stuffed animals.

But got this one of a zebu skeleton.

These are not in Birmingham, but are the only photo's I've taken in the past of stuffed tigers in other museums.

This one is in the Bridport Museum of a Bengal tiger (in Dorset).

Closer to Birmingham, but in the Worcester City Art Gallery & Museum

Ex photos, such a shame the collection in town was broken up and sent to different locations. I remember the write up for the crab now, it was a spider crab, caught off the coast of Japan. Its still out there!!!!!!

I'm sure I remember a glass case with a black dress or suit (1950s?) which was near what I think of as the side entrance. It's all different now, but this entrance was round the corner from the main one.

It always makes me sad to see these proud animals like this. My boss collects stuffed things and only brought one to work once!

Lady P my sentiments too, I also find it upsetting to see stuffed animals, also birds and fish although no bother with extinct animals, dinosaurs etc ... Eric

Alan: Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery is still open!

Check the website that I have linked you to.

As well as the main entrance from Chamberlain Square, there is a side entrance on what was Edmund Street. That also gives you access to the Gas Hall. And is another entrance on Great Charles Street Queensway, but think that entrance has been closed during the Paradise Circus roadworks.

I was there only yesterday. Had lunch in the Edwardian Tea-Rooms which is a perfect setting. Looked also at the Bridge Gallery exhibition on 130-years of the Birmingham Museum and Art Gallery. Paintings by the Pre-Raphaelite artists are also a feature of this building. Stood on the steps at the main entrance, looking across to the demolition at the Paradise Circus development and a complete stranger said to me, "they're knocking down more than even the Germans could manage". Dave.

Excellent photographs Elliot, seems the place is as interesting as ever. I recognized a few of the items particularly the Budhha, how many times have I touched that outstretched hand!

Excellent photographs Elliot, seems the place is as interesting as ever. I recognized a few of the items particularly the Budhha, how many times have I touched that outstretched hand!

Yes, you're not supposed to touch him now he's in the Faith Gallery - there is a sign that says so!
I still do though ;-D

Thanks Alan.

They moved the Buddha to another gallery, as near the Edwardian Tea Room is now a mini museum for kids!

Occasional exhibitions in the Gas Hall, sometimes cost £5 to enter.

The exhibitions in Gas Hall are usually excellent and the cost is far less than we have to pay in London Museums and Galleries.

Many years ago I was turfed out of the Gallery for sketching one of the pre-Raphaelite paintings (by Holman Hunt I think), I was told not allowed, on contacting the Council was told no objection, in fact classes of Art students visit the Gallery for just that purpose. They put it down to an over zealous or misinformed attendant. Eric

Lyn, Yes, several times and no further problems, I even sketched that huge Lucifer statue and gave it to one of the attendant's who admired it ! I tend to rely more on my digital camera now rather than sketch. Eric

Back