• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Brummie Ghosts

Hi there, I realise this is quite an old thread but I noticed it had recent activity. I have had quite a few paranormal experiences myself throughout my life although I don't consider myself psychic or anything like that, I would be happy to discuss those if anyone would want to know in detail. I have been told the Peacock Pub in Wythall is haunted as indeed the Roman Road Icknield Street which it lies on is too. I believe it is haunted by a Roman Soldier (funnily enough). Also the Bulls Head in Earlswood is said to be haunted by a Lime Kiln Worker, I had an experience there myself with a heavy solid wooden door opening and slamming shut in my face at the precise moment I actually thought "if there is a ghost show yourself", again I do not think of myself as psychic just maybe in tune? I have been on a couple of investigations with BG&H some time ago to Wolverhampton Race Course which was allegedly very haunted but I didn't witness anything myself personally.

Have really enjoyed reading peoples experiences and thoughts.

Kind regards

Steve

I know that this kind of subject doesn't always 'sit well' with historian-types Steve, but this kind of thing is an integral part of human experience (throughout the history of mankind across the globe, in one form or another), so I've always regarded it as an integral part of social history / culture and, as such, must surely be worthy of note and discussion!? (No matter whether you believe in the subject or not, of course).

With regards to the data / views you relate, I don't really believe in such things as psychic or mediumistic powers, but, as you say, it does seem some people are certainly 'more attuned' to this kind of experience / encounter than others, probably!? Unlike yourself, I tend to belong to the 'psychic as a brick' category and have yet to actually 'have' an experience that I can definitely call 'paranormal' in nature!! Laugh!!

Please DO share your potential experiences with us Steve.... and lets try and breathe some life back into this cracking thread!?

I've never actually visited the museum in question myself, but I was wondering what forum members thought of this recent matter?

https://www.expressandstar.com/ente...amera-at-birminghams-victorian-back-to-backs/

I have to admit that I've purposefully used the 'Express And Star' version of the article, as the woman in question (who took the photograph) was - shall we say - 'less than impressed' by the way that the 'Birm. Mail' had treated the information that she had given them, it seems.....!?

I'm told that she visited the museum to see what life in such properties might have been like for her grandfather, who was raised in similar housing in the Highgate region. With regards to the photograph in question, she is adamant that - as far as she can say - she was completely alone in the bedroom concerned when the shot was taken...... The only potentially 'spooky' thing about her visit was the fact that she says she felt some peculiar sensations at the time, but that was all really.......

hi nicholas good to see you back...the photo the woman took does not look like a damp patch to me :eek: my posts 143 to 149 gives details of what 3 of us saw and leaves me in no doubt that this did happen...just a bit of an update as my posts were a few years back now...i visit villa st and the old end quite a lot and have noticed that the house built on the ground of my old house has been up for sale at least 3 times during the past 8 years and has just been sold again this now has me wondering why?? i am sorely tempted that the next time it goes under the hammer to arrange a viewing just to see if i get any feelings while walking around:D as i am totally convinced that what we all saw has not left the street..two adults and a 13 year old who did not speak of it until many years later can not be wrong..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Nick and everyone else,

Good to see some new spooky discussion on this Forum! Nick, you'll recall that you and I spoke privately about the supposed "Phantom Horsewoman" of Aldridge Road, Streetly, but I wonder if anyone else has heard of this phenomenon? The story goes that it's the ghost of a long-gone Lady Scott of Great Barr Hall who went a bit doolally and took to riding her horse at breakneck speed around and about the area. She is supposed to have been seen in fairly recent times near the junction of Hundred Acre Road and Aldridge Road, by the school. Years ago, a late neighbour of mine loaned me an old book on the history of Aldridge, and "Lady Scott's Ghost" was mentioned, the only time I've ever seen anything about it in writing.

G

hi nicholas good to see you back...the photo the woman took does not look like a damp patch to me :eek:

Hi Lyn - thank you very much for the welcome back!! I must admit that I sporadically visit, from time to time, but, not actually being a 'Brummie' myself, I generally don't have anything to contribute to the forum as such, from a nitty-gritty, historical point of view..... Well - that is - except for some ghost-related waffle, of course!! Laugh!! I've 'known' different aspects of the Birmingham area - mainly the City itself - from an early age and I've always loved the place...... as well as the HUGE amount of ghostlore reported from the surrounding suburbs, etc.....

With regards to the matter of the 'Back-To-Back Museum', I had the luxury of speaking directly with the visitor who took the photograph concerned - Ella Reeves, from Wolverhampton - and I was told that she decided to visit the museum in early October. The purpose for her visit was the simple fact that her grandfather - who passed away in his 90's, a couple of years ago - was raised in similar properties as a boy.... and she had basically wanted to see how he may have lived.

I've never actually seen the place myself, but she told me that visitors are conducted around the properties in guided tours and, on the day in question, she was a member of a party of 8. The bulk of the tour itself went without issue, eventually visiting the bedroom where the photograph in question was taken. After hearing a description of the area concerned, the party began to move on, but Ella says that she had suddenly felt 'weird'.... tingly and cold!?

She admits she was only alone for a very brief time, but had her phone out and so snapped a photograph. She hadn't seen anything with the naked eye at the time, but, later that day, on looking through the shots taken, she spied a strange 'shadow' on the wall in front of her!?

As far as Ella is concerned, there was no one else in the room to be casting such a shadow in that particular position, as all other members of her party had vacated the area concerned by that time. It is also very unlikely - if not impossible - for the shadow to be hers.... as it is clearly cast from a different direction entirely to where she was standing and Ella has long, straight hair, which was falling down over her shoulders that day. (While the shadow clearly shows the shape of a head / neck / shoulders, etc).

When the photograph concerned shortly came to the attention of the media, something of a 'meal' was made of the situation, it seems..! Sadly - and inevitably - some of the media sources concerned misrepresented / misreported data mentioned by Ella.... the main point in question being the emphasis 'put on' her deceased grandfather, when it came to the image in question. I was assured that at no point did she suggest that she 'hoped' the 'shadow' was the 'ghost of her grandfather', etc. (This was pure 'spin' by the papers concerned.....)

With regards to the picture itself, it does just look like the shadow of someone - standing out of shot - simply being cast onto the wall by some light source or other!? The only real, potential 'mystery' to the matter arises when Ella says she was 'alone in the room at the time' (and, of course, the shadow concerned isn't her own, etc). Ella is convinced there was no one else there at the time, but we do know how fallible human observation can generally be (at times) don't we?

I've been told that she is going back to the site shortly - in the presence of a medium, unfortunately (which I think it a truly terrible idea!!) - so I have asked her to make a note of the layout of the area concerned... lights, windows, position of furniture, etc.... to generally get a better notion of the scene involved(?)

my posts 143 to 149 gives details of what 3 of us saw and leaves me in no doubt that this did happen...just a bit of an update as my posts were a few years back now...i visit villa st and the old end quite a lot and have noticed that the house built on the ground of my old house has been up for sale at least 3 times during the past 8 years and has just been sold again this now has me wondering why?? i am sorely tempted that the next time it goes under the hammer to arrange a viewing just to see if i get any feelings while walking around:D as i am totally convinced that what we all saw has not left the street..two adults and a 13 year old who did not speak of it until many years later can not be wrong..

I do recall speaking to you about your experiences around the time you posted them Lyn..... Someone I know has recently asked me about a property local to me (here in Willenhall) that hit the press in the mid-70's with its ghostly reputation... and the question they were posing (foremost) was 'whether the place was possibly STILL haunted'!?!

As with your old house, I know of quite a few, 'new-ish' buildings - across the West Mids region - that currently occupy sites which formerly had some type of 'spooky' story associated with them.....!? I think it's completely natural that the over-riding question should be... are these places still 'under the influence' of what might have been occurring there in the past, eh!?

Hi Nick and everyone else,

Good to see some new spooky discussion on this Forum! Nick, you'll recall that you and I spoke privately about the supposed "Phantom Horsewoman" of Aldridge Road, Streetly, but I wonder if anyone else has heard of this phenomenon? The story goes that it's the ghost of a long-gone Lady Scott of Great Barr Hall who went a bit doolally and took to riding her horse at breakneck speed around and about the area. She is supposed to have been seen in fairly recent times near the junction of Hundred Acre Road and Aldridge Road, by the school. Years ago, a late neighbour of mine loaned me an old book on the history of Aldridge, and "Lady Scott's Ghost" was mentioned, the only time I've ever seen anything about it in writing.

G

Hi Big Gee!!! I've previously heard of the alleged 'ghost of Lady Scott' being see walking around the fishing pool in the former grounds of St. Margarets, but I'd long put that down to being a matter of 'colourful ghostlore', rather than anything more substantial.....!? (Well - as substantial as ghosts get, of course!? Laugh!!)

I have heard of a 'phantom rider' in that general region... and off in the direction of Sutton Park. A former employee at St. Margarets Hospital told me of a patient who used to talk of 'seeing someone on a horse' outside his window.... This, it seems, was just put down to the fact that the person concerned was someone who suffered with hallucinations at times, etc. however, on the one occasion that the staff member went into the mans room, he happened to glance out of the window concerned.... and swears that he thought he saw the hind quarters of a horse and rider 'just going out of view'......!?!

Visiting a household along the Queslett Road a few years ago (about their own, supposed haunting), the son of the family asked if we'd ever heard of the 'phantom coach' that allegedly manifested in the area.....? It had apparently been seen passing along a nearby road, he informed us, and was said to be something to do with the Great Barr Hall....? (Around half a mile away). I don't know if it has been mentioned on this thread previously (?) but there is the 'sound' of a phantom coach also associated with Chapel Lane - not far from the house concerned - so it's reasonable to wonder whether these stories are connected somehow, possibly!?

Hiya Nick,

The only 'source' I've seen for the Phantom Rider of Aldridge Rd was that old book my late neighbour showed me. Unfortunately I can't remember its title or its author, and have since looked through the shelves of various local libraries without success. It doesn't surprise me that there are tales of phantom coaches in the region of Chapel Lane. That whole area, enclosed roughly by Beacon Rd/Sutton Rd/Birmingham Rd/Queslett Rd has always seemed slightly "out of time" to me. Even driving through it seems a bit strange to me, as though you've suddenly left the 21st century for a minute or so. My late brother-in-law lived for a time on a caravan site in the area (off Pinfold Lane, I think) and he once said he never really felt comfortable there...way too quiet!

G

Hi Nick

Thank you for your response and I am in complete agreement that until you have experienced something for yourself it is always best to stay “on the fence” as it were. But by all means I will share a few of the random things that have happened to myself and in the hope others may come forward and share in due course. Firstly I apologise if I go into too much detail in these experiences but as a budding writer and paranormal enthusiast I think it better to write more than less. When I was 15 my mother and future stepdad started dating, I at that time was playing football for Aston Villas Academy my stepdad who lived in Sheldon/Marston Green at that point, asked if I wanted to stay at his house with my mother and he would take me to football the following morning to save me catching the coach from South Birmingham (which was a bit of a ball ache). Anyhow on the Saturday evening the 3 of us went to a pub called Sheldon Hall (or it was at that time) on the way home from this pub my mother and stepdad were talking in the front of his car and he mentioned that it was a well known haunted location, I being a cocky 15 year old said something along the lines of “you don't believe in ghosts do you?” If I would've known what was coming later that evening I think I would've chosen my words a bit better. I was staying in my stepdads daughters old room. The room was basically empty, it had a single bed pushed up against the far right wall directly beneath the window (which didn't have curtains or blinds on it), at the foot of the bed there was a small wooden table with nothing on it, there was a couple of tupperware boxes on the floor in the middle of the room with bits and pieces in them and a Madonna poster on the wall at the foot of the bed. There were some glow in dark stars on the ceiling too, but that's basically everything. When I went up into the room I flung my kit bag down the left hand wall in the corner and hopped into bed. Some time past but couldn't have been any later than 3AM when I came around to my stepdads 2 cats scratching at the bedroom door and making weird shrieking noises but I was kind of in that in-between phase of awake and sleep so didn't take too much notice, I must add that I sleep with one leg out of the covers so the duvet is in between my legs, I have no idea why, just always have. I think due to the over load of coke and orangeade I needed the loo and I can remember lifting my head up and twisting my body slightly to get out of bed, then for some reason plonking myself back down again. Then I shot bolt upright. At the foot of the bed no more than an outstretched arms length from me was a Soldier! Stood staring out the window. It was carrying something in its right hand pressed against his body like a rifle. It was the strangest thing because although I could see detail and even bits of colour in him I could also see the Madonna poster through part of his body! Suddenly panic set in and I quickly jumped back under the covers and into what can only be described as a ball. I remember actually being able to hear my heart beating as I cowered under there. I was trying to scream for my mum or stepdad who were only in the next room but I couldn't even muster up a noise, just an inaudible whisper like someone whos lost their voice. I scratched my arm to death to prove to myself I wasn't dreaming. I remember sitting there terrified for hours and bear in mind I actually needed the toilet so it was double uncomfortable. I must've dropped back of too sleep after a while (which I find odd to this day as I don't think I would be able to sleep that terrified now) and when my mum opened the bedroom door at about 7 on that Sunday morning I literally sprinted out of that room, downstairs passed her, into my stepdads garden and urinated in a bush rather than go to the loo in that house. I made my mum go and fetch my bag from that bedroom and got changed downstairs. I never stayed in that house on the Radley's again lol. I did hear some year later that, that house backs onto Sheldon Country Park and a bomb had exploded directly behind it and is now known as Devils Hole or something to that effect? I hope I haven't nattered on too much and if you would like me to write another experience let me know. Thanks again. Steve

Even though my sister swears blind she saw the "ghost" of a young girl in her flat in Newtown, i think ghost sightings are as plausible as ufo sightings. Having said that, many years back i visited a faith healer in Lincoln, a very old house, for my bad back. It was definitely a spooky experience & after my session she invited me ( & my wife ) to look round the house. She took us up these very narrow stairs, just wide enough for one person, & took us into this room to meet her guide? There was a painting of him on the wall ( I think she said he was Russian ) & more or less warned us not to say anything negative in front of him, ( I remember thinking what a load of twaddle, but didn`t say it out loud ) She looked at me & said " You`re not sure are you"? Then she said, "you see all the old furniture in this room, how do you think i got it upstairs" I thought of that very narrow staircase & i did wonder. The she said, " My friend (pointing to the painting on the wall ) helped me" She did say his name but it was a long time ago & i`m afraid it`s disapeared from the old memory. It was definitely spooky but i`m still not a believer in the paranormal, ( or ufo`s )

Hiya Nick,

The only 'source' I've seen for the Phantom Rider of Aldridge Rd was that old book my late neighbour showed me. Unfortunately I can't remember its title or its author, and have since looked through the shelves of various local libraries without success. It doesn't surprise me that there are tales of phantom coaches in the region of Chapel Lane. That whole area, enclosed roughly by Beacon Rd/Sutton Rd/Birmingham Rd/Queslett Rd has always seemed slightly "out of time" to me. Even driving through it seems a bit strange to me, as though you've suddenly left the 21st century for a minute or so. My late brother-in-law lived for a time on a caravan site in the area (off Pinfold Lane, I think) and he once said he never really felt comfortable there...way too quiet!

G

I'm afraid I've never seen anything on the subject in print Big Gee.... and believe that I may have actually first heard of the topic somewhere on this very thread, possibly!? (Can't be 100%, I'm afraid, but have a sneaky feeling?)

Interesting what you relate re. the 'out of time' feeling to the general region, as I've often heard people say there was 'something' about the area that potentially unnerved them in some way? One couple, who contacted me some years ago now, blatantly said that they felt they were 'being chased' by something 'evil' in nature on some ground / fields near St. Margarets Hospital.... while another gentleman - who passed through the region regularly - said he always felt something unnerving about the place!? Needless to say, there is a lot of history to the region and, in a great many ways, certain parts are left relatively unspoiled by the urban sprawl around there...... Maybe this has somehow added to the feel of the area concerned in some way?

Thank you for your response and I am in complete agreement that until you have experienced something for yourself it is always best to stay “on the fence” as it were.

I must admit that I've always thought this is something that has greatly aided me in research / investigation, Steve.... While I've always 'fancied' having some form of paranormal experience myself - purely for novelty reasons, I guess - my lack of experience in that particular quarter has always helped me to stay grounded and objective when looking at the subject, peoples experiences and so on. I'm not at all sure whether I could remain so 'middle of the road' if I had experienced something off my own, if you get what I mean?

Firstly I apologise if I go into too much detail in these experiences but as a budding writer and paranormal enthusiast I think it better to write more than less.

NO Steve - don't ever apologise for relating things in detail....!!! The more we can glean about a subject the better, in my eyes, and some of us absolutely thrive on the bigger picture!! Laugh!!

When I was 15 my mother and future stepdad started dating, I at that time was playing football for Aston Villas Academy my stepdad who lived in Sheldon/Marston Green at that point, asked if I wanted to stay at his house with my mother and he would take me to football the following morning to save me catching the coach from South Birmingham (which was a bit of a ball ache). Anyhow on the Saturday evening the 3 of us went to a pub called Sheldon Hall (or it was at that time) on the way home from this pub my mother and stepdad were talking in the front of his car and he mentioned that it was a well known haunted location, I being a cocky 15 year old said something along the lines of “you don't believe in ghosts do you?” If I would've known what was coming later that evening I think I would've chosen my words a bit better. I was staying in my stepdads daughters old room. The room was basically empty, it had a single bed pushed up against the far right wall directly beneath the window (which didn't have curtains or blinds on it), at the foot of the bed there was a small wooden table with nothing on it, there was a couple of tupperware boxes on the floor in the middle of the room with bits and pieces in them and a Madonna poster on the wall at the foot of the bed. There were some glow in dark stars on the ceiling too, but that's basically everything. When I went up into the room I flung my kit bag down the left hand wall in the corner and hopped into bed. Some time past but couldn't have been any later than 3AM when I came around to my stepdads 2 cats scratching at the bedroom door and making weird shrieking noises but I was kind of in that in-between phase of awake and sleep so didn't take too much notice, I must add that I sleep with one leg out of the covers so the duvet is in between my legs, I have no idea why, just always have. I think due to the over load of coke and orangeade I needed the loo and I can remember lifting my head up and twisting my body slightly to get out of bed, then for some reason plonking myself back down again. Then I shot bolt upright. At the foot of the bed no more than an outstretched arms length from me was a Soldier! Stood staring out the window. It was carrying something in its right hand pressed against his body like a rifle. It was the strangest thing because although I could see detail and even bits of colour in him I could also see the Madonna poster through part of his body! Suddenly panic set in and I quickly jumped back under the covers and into what can only be described as a ball. I remember actually being able to hear my heart beating as I cowered under there. I was trying to scream for my mum or stepdad who were only in the next room but I couldn't even muster up a noise, just an inaudible whisper like someone whos lost their voice. I scratched my arm to death to prove to myself I wasn't dreaming. I remember sitting there terrified for hours and bear in mind I actually needed the toilet so it was double uncomfortable. I must've dropped back of too sleep after a while (which I find odd to this day as I don't think I would be able to sleep that terrified now) and when my mum opened the bedroom door at about 7 on that Sunday morning I literally sprinted out of that room, downstairs passed her, into my stepdads garden and urinated in a bush rather than go to the loo in that house. I made my mum go and fetch my bag from that bedroom and got changed downstairs. I never stayed in that house on the Radley's again lol. I did hear some year later that, that house backs onto Sheldon Country Park and a bomb had exploded directly behind it and is now known as Devils Hole or something to that effect? I hope I haven't nattered on too much and if you would like me to write another experience let me know. Thanks again. Steve

Thanks for sharing your experience so fully Steve!! With regards to Sheldon Hall, it is indeed known as something of a 'haunted' building and has cropped up from time to time - over the years - in the local press. I had phoned the site in the past - enquiring about investigations and the likes - but, whoever I happen to have spoken to, always seem uninterested in such things, so we've invariably been 'turned down', sadly!? I've seen the place a couple of times - just driving by - but have never actually been into the building as yet!! It certainly LOOKS the part when it comes to 'haunted houses', doesn't it!? (We did carry out an investigation at a nearby pub.... I think it was called The White Hart, possibly, but it's been quite a few years ago now?)

With regards to your stepdads house - had you ever heard of any 'strange goings on' there before or maybe after your own encounter?

As to your ability to 'fall asleep' after such an unnerving encounter.... I have to admit that this is something I've heard numerous times before, with no real explanation!? Needless to say, you would imagine that sleep would have been near-on impossible after such an encounter, eh!? A close friend of mine says that he saw a transparent, monk-like figure in his bedroom one night while he was reading..... He's discussed the incident a number of times with me in recent years and the fact that he 'fell asleep' almost straight after seems to baffle him even more than the sighting itself....!? Laugh!!

DSCN0692A.jpg Do not get too excited you ghost hunters. This is just a projection at Winterbourne

An intriguing story reached the ears of the W.M.G.C. recently, when a good friend of the group told us that she had 'had a strange experience' while shopping in her home town (West Midlands region) with her mother.... (We've had to keep names and exact locations out of the write-up of the matter, it should be explained, for obvious reasons. Suffice it to say that the site involved is right on the periphery of the Birmingham region, however).

Anyhow.... she informs us that - feeling a little tired by their outing - they visited a nearby 'food court' and, after finding seats, our friend went to visit the nearby toilets.... finding the block to be completely empty as she entered.

After entering one of the cubicles, she says that she heard someone come into the toilets.... seemingly 'banging' all the doors and generally 'shuffling around'; a somewhat annoying 'display', given the simple act of 'going to the toilet' peaceably... something everyone does on a daily basis!!

Exiting her cubicle again, and going to the sinks to wash her hands, our friend says she realised that the place had - seemingly - been empty all along.....!? She then felt the hairs on the back of her neck 'prickle' and, in her peripheral vision - in the cubicle next to where she'd just been - she saw the figure of a woman wearing an old fashioned, 70's style, parka jacket...!! Somewhat bizarrely, she couldn't see any legs to the figure.... she was just 'half' there!?!

She fully describes the woman she saw as having a lined, weathered face; a dark complexion... and seemed to have a lacy shawl or scarf placed over her head. She appeared to be in the process of 'looking around' - very much as if she didn't know where she was....!?

This entire incident occurred in a matter of a few seconds, because, when she looked again, the figure was completely gone!? It was then that she suddenly felt a heavy, not-very-nice atmosphere - brooding, almost - and, in her own words, she ' got the hell out of there!'

Seating herself immediately afterwards and telling her mother what had just occurred, it was suggested to her that, maybe, recent / ongoing building work around the complex concerned may have somehow 'caused' the experience, perhaps? Whatever this incident was, our friend tells us that - despite having had other paranormal experiences over the years - this was the first time she'd actually felt scared or 'threatened' by (what she terms) a spirit.....

Only a matter of a couple of days after her encounter, she spoke to a close relative about the matter and was told that he recalled a terrible accident in the 70's, where an 'old lady' had possibly fainted and fallen into the path of an oncoming, speeding bus... He believed that the vehicle may well have been said to have 'cut' the unfortunate woman 'in half'.....

Needless to say, this detail resonated with our friend, given that she had seen only 'half' of the figure....!

In attempting to learn more of this matter - if at all possible - it was suggested that we possibly advertise for information on the locality concerned and it wasn't long before a gentleman kindly came forward with some very interesting information....

Not only did the man concerned recall an accident with a bust at the spot in question..... but he actually 'witnessed' the incident at first-hand, as a school boy!! He had been standing waiting for his mother at the time of the accident and places the event at around the mid-1970's.

He had been standing around 15 yards in front of a small, elderly woman, when she was hit full-on by a bus and killed.... However, contrary to the reminiscence of our friends relative, the woman concerned wasn't 'cut in half' by the vehicle, but was knocked backwards, striking her head on the floor and seemingly dying almost instantly. Another discrepancy to the main story related here is a description of the lady concerned, as the victim had been wearing a light, brown coat and had grey hair, clearly visible.... Our confidant - understandably - says the tragedy was 'as plain as day' in his mind, even now.....

As mentioned numerous times in the past, the W.M.G.C. aren't known as particular advocates of the 'historic event / tragedy = ghostly remnant' equation, but it is interesting to note the general tone of the initial encounter coupled with such a tragic happening on the same, general site!? The more 'psychically-motivated' among us might, no doubt, suggest some form of 'confused' type of 'spiritual existence' being generated, in place - a direct result of the accident / instantaneous death - which would adequately negate any trifling details as discrepancies in clothing / appearance and so on....!?

This is the matter I mentioned Ray T....

Almost 20 years ago now, a Birmingham household hit the National press with tales of 'ghostly goings on' in their, otherwise typical, Council home. It seems that the 'activity' concerned had initially started up some 5 or 6 months before media sources caught on to the story; that, in itself, something of a mistake, following the head of the household contacting a member of the local press - asking if they might suggest someone to help - and the reporter concerned allegedly 'ran an article' on the matter without permission!? (*The W.M.G.C. have also had this happen on a couple of occasions at least in the past, it has to be mentioned). In this instance, the 'interest' generated numerous press-related responses, TV requests and 'glossy' magazine appeals, etc.

Initial activity at the house - beginning in the July of the year in question, without any obvious stimuli(?) - seemed typically 'poltergeist' in fashion, consisting mainly of the, sometimes 'threatening', movement of objects, inexplicable messages being left and so on. In this particular case, events only really seemed to happen at night - seldom during the day - and ONLY occurred when the family head was around. Phenomena apparently travelled to the homes of other family members if he visited and mainly seems to have been restricted to the downstairs portion of their house....

Coincidentally - some 5 months after the activity began - an Aunt of the family involved saw one of our appeals in the local press for 'ghostly experiences' and the like and passed our contact details on. We received a phone call from the family, who filled us in on some of their experiences....

With regards to the movement of objects, it seems that - as in a lot of such cases - certain items seemed infinitely more 'popular' than others. In this case, one particular knife seemed a VERY active item indeed and was said to have always 'found its way out of places' where it had been purposefully hidden! Somewhat worryingly, this knife was sometimes discovered sticking out of a wall, or kitchen cupboard door on occasion! Other objects had regularly been found moved, smashed and stacked up in piles around the home. Paintings fell off walls, scissors, remote controls and other utensils thrown around..... and a spoon hit a family member hard in the shoulder!!

Quite typically, for some cases, 'strange messages' are said to have been left around the house at times, being discovered on mirrors and walls. The name of the family head had been discovered, written in washing up liquid in the bath! A visitor to the house has apparently left a piece of paper lying around and 'something' had 'written on it', while they weren't looking....!!

We were told that NUMEROUS sources had been approached for help with the matter.... everything from the local Council, to the clergy. The former had been asked for somewhere else to stay, until the problem could be sorted out..... so the family sought alternative intervention. A variety of local churches were called upon; self-styled 'exorcists' spoken to... and even the Mormons were asked for help! (The latter are said to have 'chanted' and just made the matter even worse!!) One local clergyman, who visited the property, advised the family to leave their home and no go back....

Intervention from psychic / mediumistic types suggested that the culprit for these goings-on was a relative of the head of the family, called 'Thomas', who had only recently died.... Typically - and perhaps quite conveniently - it was suggested by the same sources that 'Thomas' was, unfortunately, a completely 'unknown' relative to the household head....!! ('Thomas' was apparently identified as the 'haunting element' by two, separate, psychic sources..... though, of course, the 2nd may well have been aware of what the previous one had suggested!? It was stated that the 2nd had basically 'confirmed' that the entity was 'Thomas'!?) The second psychic, using a pendulum, is said to have openly asked 'Thomas' if he would be willing to 'go away' and leave the family in peace..... but the response was a resounding 'NO!' The pendulum used apparently 'went absolutely wild' in the process!

This latter, seemingly determined, standpoint was revised immediately afterwards, however, when - in the same conversation - the 'spirit' then decided that he would probably 'go away' if the family might learn a particular 'secret' about him and discuss the matter....!? Needless to say, this kind of, wholly unreasonable, reasoning is quite typical of alleged 'conversations with spirit' at times!! Thomas was seemingly unprepared to budge if this matter couldn't be settled as he'd asked. (*It's often suggested by various sources that we should never really 'trust what a spirit might say', as they are frequently found to be 'liars'.... However, if they're not, it could be accurately said that they ARE often found to be a momentous 'pain in the backside' at the very least!?)

Hi Nick and everyone,

I've just read an old book called 'Ghosts Of Warwickshire' by Betty Smith, which Mrs Big Gee picked up at a car boot. In it, there's a short chapter on the supposed ghosts of highwaymen, including a guy called Tom King. This knight of the road came from Birmingham, was a sometime partner of Dick Turpin (well, who wasn't?), and operated in the 18th century, apparently along what is now the A3400, then the Birmingham-Oxford highway. The book says he was caught in 1739 and 'burned to death' in Sutton Park, where it's claimed his ghost still puts in the occasional experience. I've never heard this story before, although I've heard of Tom King. Does anyone have any further information?

G

According to info on the internet, Tom King (whose real name may have been Matthew) was shot in a robbery that went wrong - possibly by Dick Turpin.
There is no mention of Birmingham, just says he operated in the Essex and London areas.

I thought I knew of all the supposed ghosts in Sutton Park, but obviously not. The book states definitely that this Tom King came from Birmingham, so I guess he was a different rogue to the other King down in Essex and London. And burned to death? By design or accident?

G

I've heard of the 'Tom King burned in Sutton Park' story before Big Gee, but can't even begin to suggest where this may have originated......!? (Burned!?!?)

Through looking into certain matters in the Stonnall region in the past - just 'up' from Aldridge / Walsall Wood, of course - I've come across snippets of info saying that Tom King was apparently born there.... in an old inn called The Welsh Harp!? (I believe this building is still extant, but hasn't been an inn for a long time now!?)

I've heard of the 'Tom King burned in Sutton Park' story before Big Gee, but can't even begin to suggest where this may have originated......!? (Burned!?!?)

Through looking into certain matters in the Stonnall region in the past - just 'up' from Aldridge / Walsall Wood, of course - I've come across snippets of info saying that Tom King was apparently born there.... in an old inn called The Welsh Harp!? (I believe this building is still extant, but hasn't been an inn for a long time now!?)

Hi Nick,

Interesting tale. I know of two old (ish) buildings which used to be pubs in the general area you mention, but I don't know what they were called when they were still pulling pints. There is of course The Irish Harp where the Chester Road crosses Little Aston Road on the outskirts of Aldridge, but that's still very much up and running. However, I believe it's an old building. I thought of contacting the author of the book I mentioned, but I doubt if she's still alive. Nice little mystery, eh?

G

Hi Nick,

I've done bit of 'research' and the only highwayman called Tom King that I can find operated around Epping Forest mostly and was an 'associate' of Dick Turpin. Both characters are mentioned in 'Rookwood' by Harrison Ainsworth. So where Betty Smith got her info about a highwayman called Tom King who came from Brum and was burned to death in Sutton Park, I honestly don't know. But you say you'd heard this story previously, so presumably there's something in it. Maybe a completely different Tom King, as has been suggested. Purely out of passing interest I'd love to know if anyone can add to this story.

G

Back