• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Bracebridge Street

Mikejee
Thanks for posting the maps especially the one with 160 highlighted as that is where I lived until I was 23. I had looked at your earlier posted maps and did think that I recognised 160 due to the way the garden narrowed on the right-hand side due to the high boundary wall of the factory / warehouse. Also the rear access path alongside 164 from Bracebridge Street. I also love the other map showing 2/212 as it brings back memories of the shops etc. in Newtown Row.
Regards
Dave Bunford

Lyn
Thanks again, there are so many great threads that I have hardly "scratched the surface" if you know what I mean. No I hadn't looked at that thread but a quick look now reveals many fab photos of places that I remember from my younger days. I will visit it again and read all of the comments so that I don't miss the touching story. I must get my box of old photos down from the loft and see if I have any that might be of interest.
Best wishes
Dave B.

Lyn
Thanks again, there are so many great threads that I have hardly "scratched the surface" if you know what I mean. No I hadn't looked at that thread but a quick look now reveals many fab photos of places that I remember from my younger days. I will visit it again and read all of the comments so that I don't miss the touching story. I must get my box of old photos down from the loft and see if I have any that might be of interest.
Best wishes

dave the touching story behind those photos are on the first post so you wont miss it and we would love to see any of your old pics that you think will be of interest...its always great to see new ones on the forum...

lyn

Hi Everyone,

Just spotted the map with 76 St Stephen's Street marked. This was Clifford's cafe where my Auntie & Uncle lived. I think I mentioned that the shop and all the rooms were an odd shape owing to the buildings footprint on the corner. I've been looking for some photos of the shop which I had but can't find - so frustrating!

My Mom ( Dorothy Vernon ) grew up in Bracebridge Street and has given some names to this picture
BK2BK MCCORMACK.jpg

Attachments

• BK2BK MCCORMACK.png
    BK2BK MCCORMACK.png
    776 KB · Views: 80
  • BK2BK MCCORMACK.jpg
    BK2BK MCCORMACK.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 80
  • BK2BK MCCORMACK.jpg
    BK2BK MCCORMACK.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 78
My Mom also managed to remember who lived where
BK2BK.jpg again sorry , I dont know how to make the picture bigger

Attachments

• BK2BK.png
    BK2BK.png
    867.5 KB · Views: 25
sorry , I dont know how to make the picture bigger
Your photos are png files and the forum sometimes has problems with these. Use a photo editor to change them to jpg format and then use the forum edit to upload them back into your posts, and then delete the png versions.

thank you have tried and changed format and saved it bigger on my pc but not any bigger - this time however the picture opens larger when clicked - hopefully folk will be able to read the names on the larger version

hi jkcornwall what a smashing photo and a good map as well..there are quite a few members who also lived in bracebridge st so they may remember your family living there..

lyn

Hi , this is a question for Lyn please:

On this thread #10 post the third photo shows a cafe. Have you any idea of the address please? Or even what the name of the other road is please? It looks familiar.

Hi Lady Penelope
The café is on the corner of Bracebridge Street and St. Stephens Street before the development of the Royal Mail Sorting office that swallowed up the part of Bracebridge Street between the bottom of St. Stephens Street / Elkington Street and New Town Row (the A34). It was at this corner that I saw HM The Queen when she came to Birmingham, it was a few years ago as I was around 11 (I think). Hope this helps!
Best wishes
Dave B. (DJB)

Thanks Dave, I thought it was the cafe I've been searching for. I'm sure it's the one that belonged to my Aunt & Uncle. I wonder what year it was?

Lady Penelope
If you look at the map, second to last picture in post 100, you will see that the café appears to be 76 St. Stephens Street but cannot see a number for Bracebridge Street. I used to live at 160 Bracebridge Street so I am quite sure of the info in my posts.
Best wishes
Dave B. (DJB)

Just had another look - you can just make out 'CLIFFORD'S CAFE' on the window in St Stephen's St. I never knew it had Five Ways Coffee House on the front. I wonder what it started life as? You can also make out the mirror behind the counter. Uncle Arthur used to keep his car in the yard at the back, through the doors in Bracebridge Street.

Just had another look - you can just make out 'CLIFFORD'S CAFE' on the window in St Stephen's St. I never knew it had Five Ways Coffee House on the front. I wonder what it started life as? You can also make out the mirror behind the counter. Uncle Arthur used to keep his car in the yard at the back, through the doors in Bracebridge Street.
Lady Penelope
Very interesting, I hope my posts have helped.
Dave B.

They have indeed, thank you! Your post 114 is right, their postal address was 76 St Stephen's Street. I worked at Benton & Stone, Aston Brook Street, for a while in the 1960's. All these photos bring back such good memories.

hi pen and i am glad my photos have helped you too...bracebridge st brings back happy memories for me:)

lyn

I'm sure I remember the steam engine - it would've been there in my time. I also remember the shop on the corner which sold penny bottles of pop. The bottles were green and once had those glass balls for stoppers. Although not in Bracebridge Street, sorry, but I liked the machine which had pull down handles which injected fizzy water into the different syrups.

Back