• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

B'ham Works Amateur Football Association

Rons

Medal.gif Medal Back.gif Hi I have a medal from my Grandfather relating to the 1912-13 Birmingham works amateur association. I have no idea what the medal is for other than football. It is solid silver and the hallmarks say it was made by Turner & Simpson in 1912 in Birmingham. Does anyone have any ideas please?

Thank you Janice. The articles make interesting reading, especially the part relating to what the medals were awarded for in the 2nd article. Guess I will never find out just what my Grandfather was awarded it for but at least I know a lot more about B'ham Works Amateur Football now.

At present the newspapers online for birmingham do not cover 1912 or 1013 or 1914 before June, but when they do then it would be worth searching your grandfather's name , especially in the Sports Argus

At present the newspapers online for birmingham do not cover 1912 or 1013 or 1914 before June, but when they do then it would be worth searching your grandfather's name , especially in the Sports Argus
Great idea Mike, I will keep an eye out and hopefully soon they will be online. I am really grateful for the help that people are giving me.

Have the following information:

BIRMINGHAM & DISTRICT WORKS A.F.A. - 1912-1913
Division 1
Austin Motor Co.
Belliss & Morcom
Birmingham Gas
Chance & Hunt
Corporation Trams
General Electric
Henry Hope & Sons [Champions]
Metal & Munitions [resigned]
Wolseley Motor
Division 2
Elkington & Co. [Champions]
Halesowen Steel
Hamstead Colliery
Muntz [resigned]
Nettlefolds (King's Norton)
Nettlefolds (Smethwick)
Ordnance Athletic [resigned]
Parrys (T)
Perfecta Works
Veritys Athletic [resigned]
Division 3
Arden Hill
Bathurst Works
Belliss & Morcom Reserves
Birmalium
Calthorpe Motor
Deritend Works
General Electric Reserves
Henry Hope & Sons Reserves [Champions]
Martindales
Powell & Hanmer
Precision Works
Tuckers
Wolseley Motor Reserves
Division 4
Aston Brass Co.
Birmalium Reserves
Birmingham Gas Reserves [resigned]
Bowden
Buttons
Hamstead Reserves [resigned]
Metallic
Metal & Munitions Reserves
Perfecta Reserves
Post Office
St. Stephen Works
Showells [resigned]
Sutherland Motor
Swansea Works

Do you know who he worked for?
Unfortunately, I don't know who won Division 4 and there may have been more than 4 divisions!

what a great list of old birmingham companies phil...quickly looking down the list i would imagine all but the post office are no longer around..hopefully ron will know which one his grandad worked for...lovely badge ron

lyn

Have the following information:

BIRMINGHAM & DISTRICT WORKS A.F.A. - 1912-1913
Division 1
Austin Motor Co.
Belliss & Morcom
Birmingham Gas
Chance & Hunt
Corporation Trams
General Electric
Henry Hope & Sons [Champions]
Metal & Munitions [resigned]
Wolseley Motor
Division 2
Elkington & Co. [Champions]
Halesowen Steel
Hamstead Colliery
Muntz [resigned]
Nettlefolds (King's Norton)
Nettlefolds (Smethwick)
Ordnance Athletic [resigned]
Parrys (T)
Perfecta Works
Veritys Athletic [resigned]
Division 3
Arden Hill
Bathurst Works
Belliss & Morcom Reserves
Birmalium
Calthorpe Motor
Deritend Works
General Electric Reserves
Henry Hope & Sons Reserves [Champions]
Martindales
Powell & Hanmer
Precision Works
Tuckers
Wolseley Motor Reserves
Division 4
Aston Brass Co.
Birmalium Reserves
Birmingham Gas Reserves [resigned]
Bowden
Buttons
Hamstead Reserves [resigned]
Metallic
Metal & Munitions Reserves
Perfecta Reserves
Post Office
St. Stephen Works
Showells [resigned]
Sutherland Motor
Swansea Works

Do you know who he worked for?
Unfortunately, I don't know who won Division 4 and there may have been more than 4 divisions!

Thanks Phil I think he worked in the Jewellery Quarter but no idea where.

Slightly off topic but concerned with football teams and work. Does anyone know anything about a Wednesday league? Dad worked at the Co-op on Stockland Green in the 1920's / 30's. He played on a Wednesday afternoon for a team which I believe was called Erdington Wednesday. I also remember Mom telling me that there was a cartoon in the paper of Dad playing football with his arms drawn in as ivy. He had a girlfriend named Ivy. Mom threw it away - her name was Doris!

There was a cartoonist that went around amateur clubs I think he signed himself "G.E.Thompson" and that he worked for the Sports Argus. I can't find anything on Google.
I know there were Wednesday cricket leagues for shop workers, Wednesday being the traditional half day closing, so I imagine that there was a similar arrangement for soccer.

Slightly off topic but concerned with football teams and work. Does anyone know anything about a Wednesday league? Dad worked at the Co-op on Stockland Green in the 1920's / 30's. He played on a Wednesday afternoon for a team which I believe was called Erdington Wednesday. I also remember Mom telling me that there was a cartoon in the paper of Dad playing football with his arms drawn in as ivy. He had a girlfriend named Ivy. Mom threw it away - her name was Doris!

It was probably the Birmingham & District Wednesday Amateur Football Association which started in 1898.
I don't know when it stopped operating but it was still going in the 1970's.

On demob after WW2 my father worked for the Co-op furniture works in Shirley. He did the admin for their soccer team, made the post match tea etc. The team played in green and gold quarters and played in B'ham works league. He regularly took me along and this gave me chance to get to know my father who had been in North Africa all the previous five years of my life, I realised then that at 5ft2in he was shorter than the average. At that time I realise now he was about 30 years old.

There was a cartoonist that went around amateur clubs I think he signed himself "G.E.Thompson" and that he worked for the Sports Argus. .
001af.jpg
Found this Thompson cartoon, it's a cricket one but shows his style. Any works soccer ones out there?

Thank you all for the information. I began to think I'd imagined the Wednesday League! Dad played in 'something' and white stripes but being a black and white photo I can't tell what the 'something' is.
That cartoon took me back - I used to go and fetch the Argus for Dad from across the road and those cartoons always appeared. Very distinctive. Maybe one day when I haven't much to do (and I can get up Pinfold Street) I'll go and have a look in the archives.

When the South Bham Sunday league started you could not play on a Sunday, so they called it the Bham Wednesday league Sunday section to get around the law. About the late 50s i think.

When the South Bham Sunday league started you could not play on a Sunday, so they called it the Bham Wednesday league Sunday section to get around the law. About the late 50s i think.
Hi All,
The ban on Sunday football was not law, it was simply a rule of the FA. Changing the name of the league would not have made an iota of difference. Many amateur players played on Saturdays and Sundays so some of them changed their names when playing on Sundays. It was all a bit futile really. The FA soon changed their minds when Sky came on the scene and offered big money to play games on Sundays.
Old Boy

I don't know about the football in the 50's but that would be too late for Dad. He worked for the Co-op as I said and they closed on Wednesday afternoons.

Can any one please confirm Buttons factory was in Catherine St Aston? My Mom & Aunt worked there in their youth.

Hi there the barron
yes i can tell you it was an extention of there factory, in catherine street
there main factory and registered offices was in lower portland street
wich was the next street to catherine street , catherine street was not all that big than the one in portland street
and my information comes from me , because i was born and raised on lichfield road
more or less across the road of there main building in the lowe portland street
and it had a horse trough in the middle of portland street across from Ansells brewery
and they did have a very small unit at the bottom of wainwright street
which ran down the other side of there main factory before the war ,i think they used to used it as a store room
then moved up to lower portland street which is at the top of wainwright street
the one in catherine street used to be next door to a huge furnishing department store
very highly expensive fitting and only for the wealthy people to by
i cannot recall that name at the moment but it was on the corner of lichfield road and side of the catheine street
windows as well and there delivery of goods ware house
it closed down in about 1954 , 55, and a carpet place taken in on its place for many years
also may i had my brother, and myself ,and friend frenchie ,mr french fruit and veg shop of lichfield road
worked there as well, also our friend and neibour albert gough worked there as well
in the electro plating department where there he had an arguments and splashed in his eye and lost it
merry christmas Barron and a happy new year to you best wishes Astonian,,,,

Alan
Would the furnishingstore be Newburys. See post 13 at https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...en-photos-with-no-locations.45202/#post550026 which has this photo
14A__Newburys.jpg

Back