• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hobbies 2015 - 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
image.jpeg
Decided we are going to have a go at doing our own iced Xmas cake this year. Thought it might be worth a crack at trying to do some home-made
decoration " tops " to put on the icing.
So far the bits of paper, cardboard and coloured pencils are working out reasonably well.
Still needs an extra bit or two on the layout I'm reckoning. But for certain
whether the final result of this bit of " crafting " is a success or a failure, no matter, it's a good bit of fun and it keeps the old brain ticking over.
Been thinking. Maybe a bit of blue icing to represent a small duck pond and a couple of ducks on it might just finish it off a bit.
It's back to the " design " chair again then and a bit more fun.

Last edited:
View attachment 109281
Decided we are going to have a go at doing our own iced Xmas cake this year. Thought it might be worth a crack at trying to do some home-made
decoration " tops " to put on the icing.
So far the bits of paper, cardboard and coloured pencils are working out reasonably well.
Still needs an extra bit or two on the layout I'm reckoning. But for certain
whether the final result of this bit of " crafting " is a success or a failure, no matter, it's a good bit of fun and it keeps the old brain ticking over.
Been thinking. Maybe a bit of blue icing to represent a small duck pond and a couple of ducks on it might just finish it off a bit.
It's back to the " design " chair again then and a bit more fun.
See you in the Great British bake off next year Roy.

My hobby ever since I was 13 or 14 has been model aircraft flying. Without it, I think I might have gone totally ga-ga! I have flown in competitions since the early 1960's and have won the British National Championships. It lifts me up and away from the hum-drum drudgery of life, gets me out into the fresh air, and keeps my fingers nimble. Without it, I think I'd just shrivel up.

G

All of my working years were spent doing active jobs, having two occupations for thirty years one of which was very strenuous at times. I ceased paid work when I was 59 years old but was mindful that a leisurely lifestyle was not beneficial to health and could lead to increased weight. ;)
My relaxation, over very many years, has been the study of railways and other modes of transport plus Ham radio. I found that I could far become more involved with church activity and this was supplemented with voluntary working on a heritage railway line. The railway gave me physical activity and that, together with garden and household duties, gave me enough activity to keep reasonably healthy. Age does catch up but I am sure that regular bodily activity does help. Few people realize my age, most put me some ten years younger, I am pleased to say.
Some twelve years ago I decided to build a garden railway. It is at ground level - running through bushes and trees in part -and I must admit it was a very energetic activity in its construction: it also requires regular maintenance and as far as I am concerned that is a bonus together with the enjoyment and interest that the railway creates.
I like surfing the web - various fora such as this and research - and following shipping in the Great Lakes of North America. I speak every working day (Mon-Fri) in the morning and evening with friends in the USA and this shipping interest gives a good talking agenda. I also have many friends in Canada and the USA who are also into garden railroading and full size railways; the internet gives great opportunities to share ones interests and of course keep the mind active.
No one should ever be bored: there is so much of interest that can be done - it just needs to be sought out. :D

Last edited:
Big Gee, do you fly a ready made aircraft or do you build the a/c your self from kit form, and do you fly single or multi engine a/c. Years ago I used to watch the occasional model a/c demo's in Sutton Park, always loved flying and still do. I have constructed numerous static models but never a flying model in the past, but my main leisure interest is watercolour painting Eric

Last edited:
Radio rails, I agree with you entirely, it is important to have interests when retiring, I have been a watercolourist for 40 years, exhibiting all over the country, also enjoyed constructing model aircraft and wooden period ships such as the Victory, Cutty Sark etc... never been a TV person, prefer to be active. I am 86 but still remain active, walk my Jack Russell 5 times a day. Eric

Although I live on Crete, I'm not a beach person, neither is my other half, both of us preferring the mountains. Haven't watched TV for at least 15 years and don't miss it in the least. Spent many years as a jazz musician and still take an interest in it even though I haven't played for many years (Dupuytrens Syndrome & arthritis). My other main interests are genealogy and photography. As far as I am concerned there are never enough hours in a day, so never a chance to get bored!

Maurice

Big Gee, do you fly a ready made aircraft or do you build the a/c your self from kit form, and do you fly single or multi engine a/c. Years ago I used to watch the occasional model a/c demo's in Sutton Park, always loved flying and still do. I have constructed numerous static models but never a flying model in the past, but my main leisure interest is watercolour painting Eric

Hi Eric,

I'm one of the old school and my models are scratch-built. Occasionally I do build from a kit, but have never bought a ready-to-fly model, although some of these are truly fantastic (and expensive). The club I'm in is lucky enough to own a flying-field in rural Leicestershire, so no problems with noise, doggie-walkers, or those pesky 'drones'.

TTFN,

G

Big Gee, have viewed numerous model a/c shows on You tube, showing large scale 4 engine aircraft with wing spans of over 6 feet, I was really impressed with both their realism and performance, particularly my beloved Lancaster. Obviously a really enjoyable hobby, unfortunately I'm a bit too old, will have to stick to painting !! I admire your ability building from 'scratch' I always built from kits and although my Victory was large scale and complex and took a whole winter to complete it was still only a kit. Eric

Pity my dad didn't get that publication. I loved my dolls house but it didn't have lighting. And my dad was an electrical engineer !

I don't remember ever seeing hobby magazines for women, unlike today where the shelves are full of them. Maybe the likes of Womens Own filled the gap. Viv.

The was Picture Post, Everybodies and of course The Peoples Friend, which is still in publication. Knitting magazines and I am sure others will chip in with their remembered names.

I had a friend David Evans, now deceased, he made working model steam train engines in his garage at the side of his house. He always amazed me with the extremely professional finish he gave them. When he left school he started at The Rover in the tool room. Because he was an apprentice his national service was held over until he was 21. After two years in the army he started back at his old job and stayed there until he retired. He carried on with his hobby until he became ill and died a couple of years ago.
I spent most of my teenage years with a very strong interest in motor/cycles and fitted big ends and piston rings etc to various models. Though a friend Bob Holder, again now deceased I met a jewellery manufacturer, He gave me a piece of gold and showed me step by step how to make my wife's wedding ring, he then got it hall marked and gave it to my wife as a wedding present. He then went on to show me how to repair a clockwork watch, I enjoyed that and went on to be quite busy servicing old clocks for a couple of antique shops and plenty of pocket watches for mates when I was a bus driver. I always used Meeks for spares when the shop was on Great Hampton Street then just a short distance away when they moved to Warstone Lane, I also used D & R James who had a shop in Hurst street. I stopped the watch work when clockwork timepieces died out. That is when I started taking sewing seriously I had a spell of making soft toys which used to sell at a fantastic pace, I made a large teddy bear and put it in the passenger seat in my taxi one evening when I went to work, the first passenger I carried bought it. I went on to make some of my wifes clothes, some of our sons clothes when h was a toddler and a few of my own shirts and a suit.

Stitcher, I think it's lovely that you made your wife's wedding ring! My grandad made my mother's wedding ring and engagement ring. I stilll wear her wedding ring.
I love sewing but my fingers don't work as well as they used to, I liked to do wool tapestry, it's not a good as your work though!!
rosie.

Stitcher, I think it's lovely that you made your wife's wedding ring! My grandad made my mother's wedding ring and engagement ring. I stilll wear her wedding ring.
I love sewing but my fingers don't work as well as they used to, I liked to do wool tapestry, it's not a good as your work though!!
rosie.

Hello rosie, I am sure your wool tapstries are delightful, and the thing with hobbies is that they keep your brain working and they take up time that you might spend just sitting doing nothing.

It's that time of year again and I have started, making Xmas cards that is. I used to make almost 50 every year but as age takes its toll on the number of friends and relatives I will be making about 20 this year. I have also just made a calendar for a friend who services and MOTs my car every year, It is A4, portrait and features 12 pages with the months dates on the bottom half and classic British cars on the top half.
Cafe.jpeg.jpeg

Hobbies and calendars; reminds me of two sadnesses this year. I always had one of Kalmbachs (hobby book folks) railroad calendars sent every year to a friend in Wisconsin who sadly is not in a position to appreciate them anymore. We spoke twice, every weekday, using a Ham radio facility. That was sadly curtailed earlier this year. Another contact, by Skype, was also terminated earlier this year when a dear friend in West Virginia died. He was a great railroad fan, with reference particularly to the Western Maryland Railroad (known affectionately as Wild Mary by fans) and was in videos of it, so I still get to see him and his vintage vehicles. He always made a calendar, along the lines of that made by Stitcher, featuring railroads and family. I have three railroad wagons which he sent me as gifts and they are often to be seen on my garden railway.:) Oh! boy!, but I do miss our chats but have wonderful memories.

To while away the long winter evenings I've started using my laptop to paint colour on to old street pics. I chose the one below because it reminds me of my teenage years. I had a bit of fun with that man on the right, he hides his face in the first pic, but not in the colour pic. I suppose if I did twelve pics I could make a calendar .... all done with freebie apps ...:)
No33_busSteelhouse.jpg
No33busSteelhouse1g.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back