• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

GEC WITTON WORKS

When I drive down ELECTRIC AVE now it has changed so much from the days of GEC, The only remaining reminder of those happy days when you could go to work & look forward to it, is the frontage of the main admin; block.
Gone WMI,SWITCH GEAR,TURBO BAY,ENG WORKS, FOUNDRY, TRANSFORMER,RECTIFIER,& many more on site units.
I've come across a book called 'From the shadow of Poverty' by Dennis Harding.
He worked at the GEC in the 50s and 60s, and gives a lot of amusing stories and information of his time there. It's a fascinating read.:)

I've come across a book called 'From the shadow of Poverty' by Dennis Harding.
He worked at the GEC in the 50s and 60s, and gives a lot of amusing stories and information of his time there. It's a fascinating read.:)

I've just discovered we have it here in the library so i've put a request in and should get it tomorrow.
Simon

Good afternoon chaps. I'm posting on behalf of my father in law who did his apprenticeship from 1944 to 1949. His name is Stanley smith (known as Stan). He worked in engineering drawing office (edo). Just wondering if anyone remembers him.

Welcome Gary. Nice to hear of your father in laws connection. Hopefully someone will know him on here.

If there are any recollections you'd like to post on his behalf, please do so. We'd be interested to hear them. Enjoy the forum. Viv.

I worked in the drawing office, my first job on leaving school in 1944, but had to leave after 12 months (the month the war in Europe ceased) due to eye strain. Afraid I cannot remember any names, such a long time ago, over 70 years Eric

My father in laws name is Stanley smith and he is 88. Started off in small ceiling fans and then into engineering drawing office working as a section boy, the section leader was Tom Webster. From there onto foundry for 3 months and then 3 months in standard motors machine shop and then onto switch works machine shop on the miller, onto windings in big shop, 3 months in chemi lab, then nights in m.a.r, then back to drawing office. Finished apprenticeship is 1949. Then moved to a consulting engineer in bath. Played cricket and hockey at magnet club and attended apprentices annual dinner and New Year's Eve party's and dance. Sports days and won one or two prizes. Then man in charge of engineering drawing
Office was called bonnel, we used
To call him bonny. There's was a good footballer who worked there called Stan hews.

Anyone see anyone they know from this Photo of EDO Staff .My first stop on my start as a GEC Apprentice 1957

Attachments

• EDO Staff GEC Witton at Magnet club.jpg
    EDO Staff GEC Witton at Magnet club.jpg
    492.9 KB · Views: 72
My father in laws name is Stanley smith and he is 88. Started off in small ceiling fans and then into engineering drawing office working as a section boy, the section leader was Tom Webster. From there onto foundry for 3 months and then 3 months in standard motors machine shop and then onto switch works machine shop on the miller, onto windings in big shop, 3 months in chemi lab, then nights in m.a.r, then back to drawing office. Finished apprenticeship is 1949. Then moved to a consulting engineer in bath. Played cricket and hockey at magnet club and attended apprentices annual dinner and New Year's Eve party's and dance. Sports days and won one or two prizes. Then man in charge of engineering drawing
Office was called bonnel, we used
To call him bonny. There's was a good footballer who worked there called Stan hews.
Gary take a look at the Picture I have posted of EDO Staff ,I also started my life as a GEC Apprentice in EDO back in 1957
Mr Griffiths took over from Mr Bonnell if my memory is correct, remember Stan Hughes well.

Hi guy's you will see some faces from the EDO Pic on this one of Pasrson's Tyburn Road office after the move from Witton.
When I moved to GEC Rugby aftyer Tyburn Road I found so many old faces it was like Witton all over again HAPPY DAY's

Attachments

• Parosns Tyburn Road Staff Ex G.E.C .CA.Parsons.jpg
    Parosns Tyburn Road Staff Ex G.E.C .CA.Parsons.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 66
One from the day's when Witton used to be flooded by the Tame ,which was most years untill they up graded the flood barriers & dug out the river bed.
The GOOD OLD DAY what !

Attachments

• Witton Gates FLOOD.jpg
    Witton Gates FLOOD.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 78
Re: Stafford Fred.

Fred, you haven't worked a day in your life mate!
Hope all's good with you.......thought you'd like to know that Rod Williams retires today

Cheers,

Richard Howlett
What ever happend to Stafford Fred tried to contact big Jim Allworth but had no reply ?

One from the day's when Witton used to be flooded by the Tame ,which was most years untill they up graded the flood barriers & dug out the river bed.
The GOOD OLD DAY what !
There is a pillar still standing on Electric Avenue/Dulverton Road. Would it be the right hand one in your picture?

Anyone help looking for the name of this guy,Q Shop foreman GEC Switchgear & Chairman Highgate United ?
Must have past him every day when I worked in Relay Shop for a few years.

Attachments

• Q SHOP FOREMAN.jpg
    Q SHOP FOREMAN.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 17103365_10212647913255758_1753774466763600941_n.jpg
    17103365_10212647913255758_1753774466763600941_n.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 44
Hi guys;
I guys i know we have alot of old ex employee,swhom worked at the old G C E Witton
so i thought i would down load a couple for them , 4 in total
1, home gaurd and one of the reunion for old employee,s meet up
and two showing the workers at work in there departments of works
I do have others photographs but i will spread it out over the week
Here they are as follows i hope one or two of you may reconised some one at some point

Attachments

• ScanImage001.jpg
    ScanImage001.jpg
    319.3 KB · Views: 80
  • ScanImage003.jpg
    ScanImage003.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 82
  • ScanImage004.jpg
    ScanImage004.jpg
    456.2 KB · Views: 82
IMG_1539.jpg
Anyone help looking for the name of this guy,Q Shop foreman GEC Switchgear & Chairman Highgate United ?
Must have past him every day when I worked in Relay Shop for a few years.

Looking for info on Highgate United I came across a picture of the tragic events of 1967 that I had completely forgot about. Wikipedia says...

"In 1967, Highgate played Enfield in the quarter-finals of the FA Amateur Cup. Midway through the first half, which was being played in heavy rain, a lightning strike saw several players collapse. One player, the Highgate centre half Tony Allden, did not recover consciousness and died the next day in hospital. As a gesture of goodwill and sympathy, Aston Villa agreed to host the replay of the game concerned. They also donated a new set of Aston Villa kit to Highgate United to use in the match, which ended with a 6–0 victory for Enfield. The replayed game drew an attendance of over 30,000 at Villa Park. He is commemorated by one of the Midland Combination's cup competitions, the Tony Allden Memorial Cup."

Back