• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Unknown locations

I thought it did but hadn't walked down there. Now I don't need to !! Thanks -although I probably could do with the exercise:)
Janice
I remember there was a layby(where the new buildings now are ie. to the right of Phil's picture /on the corner of Hayfield Rd.) where the candidates awaited their fates.

If we are looking at windmere road and the shop it must be the one next to the old Altlas picture house
And later became the Atlas Bingo hall stechford flaxley road changes into windmere road
And the other one she shows is a little further up on the next corner on the right hand on the oppersite
Side of the road

I remember there was a layby(where the new buildings now are ie. to the right of Phil's picture /on the corner of Hayfield Rd.) where the candidates awaited their fates.
I assume that is why those houses actually lie back in what I always call a "service road". Trees separate them from the main Yardley Wood Road. My husband spoke to someone yesterday about the test centre and he told him exactly where it was situated and we were bang on.

Wasn't there a pub near there, could have been "The Pen and Wig" or maybe the other way around. Acknowledging the lawyers and journalists.

I don't think the Pen & Wig appeared until they built the new Law Courts in the 70's or 80's and I think it's now called scruffy Murphy's.

Attachments

• City Dale End - Newton St Pen & Wig.jpg
    City Dale End - Newton St Pen & Wig.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 22
I visit the scout shop a few times in the 50's when I spent about 6 months in the scouts. The scout shop was in Dale End and it was as near as I can make out the shop on the left hand side of this photo with the window shade open.
I was looking at a forum photo and noticed that Lyn's unknown building in the first pic post#36 can just be seen in this view of Dale End in 1958 and also the high Print Works building behind. I had a look on 'streetview' at today's Dale End and I suppose it had to change, but I like this 1958 view better even though it is a bit dark and misty.
index.php

Back