• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

G H Elliott - music hall performer

I noticed that someone stated that GH Elliott was Birmingham born but I think he was born in Rochdale, Lancashire in 1882?
Did you know that GH Elliott and his family moved to America during the 1890s and he appeared on stage there billed as 'The American Wonder, Master George Elliott' ( The wonderful boy soprano, child actor & Dancer) They returned to England in 1901. Here is an extremely rare photograph of GH.
regards, Dale

Attachments

• bristols favorite.jpg
    bristols favorite.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 44
Sorry Kevin it's been a while since I logged in! That's really interesting. I will tell my mum in law. Any info is great
Heidi

I noticed that someone stated that GH Elliott was Birmingham born but I think he was born in Rochdale, Lancashire in 1882?
Did you know that GH Elliott and his family moved to America during the 1890s and he appeared on stage there billed as 'The American Wonder, Master George Elliott' ( The wonderful boy soprano, child actor & Dancer) They returned to England in 1901. Here is an extremely rare photograph of GH.
regards, Dale
nkyou

My own Minstrel story. This could have been posted under MY MEMORIES OF A BIRMINGHAM MUSICIAN website, but here goes:

The Minstrel acts were a great part of the old variety theatre, or vaudeville. My favourite was the great Al Jolson, an American singer that made the first talking picture.

One evening, some years ago, Buddy Rich, the great American drummer, spent an evening with Armand Zildjian (from the cymbal company), and myself at Armand's home just outside Boston, in the USA.

During his early career Al Jolson worked with the most famous American Minstrel group called Dockstader's Minstrels. I was aware that Buddy's father, Robert, has also worked with Dockstader. Buddy was surprised when he realised that not only did I know about his dad, but I also knew about Dockstader.

Away from the world of talking about drums, Buddy was delighted to tell me about the old Minstrel days in vaudeville. Buddy also loved talking about 'Jagwar' cars. It was a wonderful evening of relaxed talking

Eddie

Last edited:
Hello Heidi

I'm a great nephew of June Elliott- GHE's second wife who was my mum's aunt on her paternal side.
After June died I bought what remained of her and GH's personal photo archive from her stepson Alan
who was going to auction them.

Since then I have enjoyed researching their lives and careers and have been lucky enough over the years
to meet and talk to people ( aside from my family ) who worked with them and knew them well. And
it's nice to relate that everybody with out exception spoke very highly of him.

I have a good collection of his old 78 rpm records including some duets with his first wife Emilie Hayes, song
sheets and lot's of photo's. That pic posted by DaleM is really a rare one ! I do have one somewhere of your
mother in law Suzanne with GH, her mum and dad and the music hall star Gertie Gitana. Let me know if she
does'nt have it and I will try and post it here.

GH and June both wrote their life stories and they were eventually privately published together as a limited
run by an Elliott enthusiast way back in 2000 i think. They are certainly worth a read but I do get the impression he
held back alot on his first troubled marriage to Emilie. He was a gent and I suppose wouldn't have considered it
good form to go into too much detail.

There is so much info I can pass on to you and Chris but as this is my first post I had better keep it brief.

It's great to read the memories written here plus an early posting from a lady to whom I could be distantly related !

All the best

Mike

Hello Heidi

I'm a great nephew of June Elliott- GHE's second wife who was my mum's aunt on her paternal side.
After June died I bought what remained of her and GH's personal photo archive from her stepson Alan

Since then I have enjoyed researching their lives and careers and have been lucky enough over the years
to meet and talk to people ( aside from my family ) who worked with them and knew them well. And

I have a good collection of his old 78 rpm records including some duets with his first wife Emilie Hayes, song
sheets and lot's of photo's. That pic posted by DaleM is really a rare one ! I do have one somewhere of your
mother in law Suzanne with GH, her mum and dad and the music hall star Gertie Gitana. Let me know if she

GH and June both wrote their life stories and they were eventually privately published together as a limited
run by an Elliott enthusiast way back in 2000 i think. They are certainly worth a read but I do get the impression he
held back alot on his first troubled marriage to Emilie. He was a gent and I suppose wouldn't have considered it

There is so much info I can pass on to you and Chris but as this is my first post I had better keep it brief.

It's great to read the memories written here plus an early posting from a lady to whom I could be distantly related !

All the best

Mike

Glad you liked my rare photograph. I have a few more items that are extremely rare. Original GHE music hall posters that I believe are the only ones in existence. Did you know that GHE was at one time, the sole proprietor of an entertainment venue called 'The Cosy Corner' at 143a Clapham Road.

best regards, Dale

Post 27 reminds me that in my record collection, I have a 78 rpm record, still in very nice condition, of Gertie Gitana singing "My Dear Marie", on the reverse side "Mein Schneider".
It was recorded over 102 years ago, April 23rd 1914, on the Zonophone Record label.

Eddie.

Glad you liked my rare photograph. I have a few more items that are extremely rare. Original GHE music hall posters that I believe are the only ones in existence. Did you know that GHE was at one time, the sole proprietor of an entertainment venue called 'The Cosy Corner' at 143a Clapham Road.

best regards, Dale
No - I never knew that Dale. Do you know what sort of hall it was and how long he had it ?

Would love to see those original Elliott music hall posters. How far do they go back and where were the venues ?

They are getting so very hard to find these day's . Those that I have seen are so fragile.

The British Music Hall Society have a good collection of posters but sadly no where permanent to display them.

Cheers

Mike

Hello Heidi

All the best

Mike
Hi Mike, I'm so sorry it's been forever since I logged in to this. As far as Chris knows his mum doesn't have that photo . A copy would be gratefully received. We would be grateful for anything you can pass on to us.
Thank you .
Heidi

Last edited:
Post 27 reminds me that in my record collection, I have a 78 rpm record, still in very nice condition, of Gertie Gitana singing "My Dear Marie", on the reverse side "Mein Schneider".
It was recorded over 102 years ago, April 23rd 1914, on the Zonophone Record label.

Eddie.
When you hear this it will remind you have far we have come since those early recording days.

Heidi, You should remove your email from the forum as soon as possible.

Hi Mike, I'm so sorry it's been forever since I logged in to this. As far as Chris knows his mum doesn't have that photo . A copy would be gratefully received. We would be grateful for anything you can pass on to us.
Thank you .
Heidi
Hello Heidi

Nice to hear from you.

Email me and I will send some biographical info and pictures across to you.

Best wishes

Mike

Last edited:
Hello Heidi

All the best

Mike
Hi Mike

I am the lady I think you refer to. June was my great aunt. My grand mother was her step sister ( same mother Elizabeth (nee) Street). My grannie was Kathleen Bentley. I am wondering if you are Auntie Pats son? Please drop me an email, would love to chat to you. I do have GH and June's book along with few other things. Regards Jane

Hi all, does anyone know who this woman might be? It is a very rare photograph within a card Passepartout or mount , part of the GH Elliott items I own and it belonged to GHE.

Attachments

• gh elliottwoman1.jpg
    gh elliottwoman1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
Hi Jane.

Not visited this site for some time and was really pleased to see your message.

My mum was kath (Cis) the second of Bill and Maggie Street's six children.

Mum died in January 2014 and the year before she was reminiscing about your family.
I remember her telling me a son of one of Grandad and aunty Florrie's half siblings ( Was it Malcolm ? )
was emigrating to South Africa and stopped off in London to break his journey staying the night
with my mum and dad in Wilton Way, Hackney, East London before he resumed his journey the next day
enroute to South Africa.

Aunty Pat is still alive and well and is sadly now the last of the Street family.

Would be great to hear from you.

Best wishes

Mike

Last edited:
Back