• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Alma Street, Six Ways, Aston

hi john so is the house to the left of n0 57 no 59 ?? making no 55 just out of shot..

nice photo john are they rellies of yours

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Lyn. I think the house to the left is number 59 unfortunately. The family were the Ashford's. Friends of the family.

Here is another photograph. It might be the next house up. there seems to be an entry of some sort to the left.

Attachments

• 24390017.JPG
    24390017.JPG
    386.8 KB · Views: 48
thanks john so it looks like angelas no 55 could just be out of shot...still its the closest we have come so far and angelas mom may remember the ashford family...many thanks john

lyn

thanks john so it looks like angelas no 55 could just be out of shot...still its the closest we have come so far and angelas mom may remember the ashford family...many thanks john

lyn
Thanks Lyn I have been out walking around Derbyshire today, but will show my mom tomorrow see if she remembers anyone on the picture and the Ashford Family. Great photo's that everyone's posted.

ok angela...let us know if she does remember the ashfords:)

lyn
Hi Lyn, I have shown my mom the picture of the street party, she can recognise a few people as she's struggling with her eyes at the moment, she's got to have surgery to sort cataract. She said that Ivy Bradbury is on the picture she ran a sweet shop. She also can see Mr Proudman is on the picture she can also can see her sister Patricia on the picture. My mom remembers a grocery shop run by two older sisters Edith and Alice. Also Irene's fashion Shop next to 55 her house. Harry Archer the fruit and veg shop. She also said there was a toyshop and a post office. A second hand shop called byfields. She doesn't remember the Ashfords. Hope this helps x

wow angela your mom has done well and fancy her sister being on the street party photo..hope all goes well with her eye op can you tell her her memories of alma st may just jog the memories of others...:) ps dont forget if she has any old family photos we would love to see them...

lyn

wow angela your mom has done well and fancy her sister being on the street party photo..hope all goes well with her eye op can you tell her her memories of alma st may just jog the memories of others...:) ps dont forget if she has any old family photos we would love to see them...

lyn
Hi Lyn, thank you. I have a few family pictures with photo's of the back of 55 and a couple of class photo's of Alma Street School and Burlington Street School. I will scan them and post them on here. Yes maybe it might jog some memories for people :). Regards Angela

oh thats great angela...we really do rely heavily on the old photos as they bring back so many memories to our members...just post them all on here and i can move the school ones to the appropriate threads..if you could can you put the years they were taken..dont worry if you are not sure:) look forward to the alma st school ones as i went there but not for long as we moved to villa st from paddington st

lyn

alma st school.jpg
oh thats great angela...we really do rely heavily on the old photos as they bring back so many memories to our members...just post them all on here and i can move the school ones to the appropriate threads..if you could can you put the years they were taken..dont worry if you are not sure:) look forward to the alma st school ones as i went there but not for long as we moved to villa st from paddington st

lyn
No problem. My mom was born in 1949, she might be about 8 or 9 on the picture. Mom remembers a doctor Humpheries to, maybe someone may remember him.

Last edited by a moderator:
what a cracking photo angela...the photo was the wrong way round so i have turned it the right way up for you....:)

what a cracking photo angela...the photo was the wrong way round so i have turned it the right way up for you....:)
Glad you like it, the girl on the front row in the black Blazer 4th in, is my mom Rita. The next picture is outside my granddads house, he is the one in the light suit and hat (Wilfred willetts) Fred he was better known as.

Glad you like it, the girl on the front row in the black Blazer 4th in, is my mom Rita. The next picture is outside my granddads house, he is the one in the light suit and hat (Wilfred willetts) Fred he was better known as.

Attachments

• alma st outside angelas gd house.jpg
    alma st outside angelas gd house.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 58
what another smashing photo angela...think i can just make out the spire of alma st school..would this have been a wedding or maybe as christening as i think the lady on the right is holding a baby....photos like this must be treasured because once they are gone you cant get those images back...thanks for sharing with us all..

just a little tip..when you turn a photo round make sure you hit save it will then save the right way up...all the best

lyn

Thank you Lyn, this is a wedding. Yes we do try to keep them good, I love looking through them. I have one of my mom's sisters class (Burlington Street) but it's not as good. View attachment 108214 View attachment 108215
The other photo is of my granddad at the back of his house, the girl with the curly hair is a neighbours child is my cousin. My mom was asking if you remember the teacher in that class photo of Alma Street, she wanted to know what year you was there? I also have a old post card picture of the Barton Arms pub, there are trams on the picture, I wondered if you would like me to post it.

Back