• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Moor Street Warehouse

A nice addition to the thread Roger, thanks. As there's different printing styles/sizes/fonts etc on the hangers, they must have had the coat hangers produced at different times. Viv.

It is surprising how many names, many from old, no longer existing companies, on coat hangers etc. that are handed in with clothing to charity shops and jumble sales. Great memorabilia!

As far as the subject of the thread is concerned I have to say that I passed by it many times when leaving and entering Moor Street station. It was not, however somewhere we shopped: usually Edward Grey or the Lewis store opposite were our usual calls.

Yes Alan. And they're useful too!

A couple of images from Phyllis Nicklin taken in 1959. Viv.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

I found one of these coat hangers in my wardrobe. I guess my mum must have bought an item of clothing in the moor st warehouse in the 1950's or later. It is quite roughly made and I guess it was free with an item of clothing. I notice that a couple of online sales sites are trying to sell them at up to £14 each.

My guess is that these coat hangers are probably in wardrobes in places within a 1950's bus or train ride to Brum. A good sort through lofts in Kidderminster, Bromsgrove etc would probably turn up loads of them. All I know is that my mum would never have imagined that someone would try and sell one for £14!

Welcome Brian. That's an interesting point. A nice reminder of times gone by. I can't see the wire coat hangers given away with dry cleaning these days having the same value in the future. Hope you enjoy the forum. Viv.

Viv the wire hangers may not have much value as such but I've used bits of them for doing some very odd jobs !
Cheers Tim .

A copper at Longbridge police station showed me how to use a wire hanger to get into my car when I locked the keys in it with the ngine running

I remember going to Moor Street Warehouse, both with my parents, and with my trainspotting mates whilst we were waiting for a train to go to any of the stations between there and Stratford. It was a case of what we could afford for a return ticket! The Warehouse was a hive of all sorts of items including furniture, clothes, and the interesting one for us kids - toys - spread over about four floors IIRC.

Maurice

I did wonder why it was named 'warehouse' rather than 'department store' as members comments make it sound more like a store to me. Or maybe the title was a hang-over from the past. Viv.

Hi Mike, at one time in our less affluent days we had a car which we could lock by pushing the door buttons down but we couldn't open with the key so I always had the trusty wire coat hanger in the boot.
One day we were on a day out in a local old goldmine town which was busy with other tourists.
I was walking some way behind the family with our young son when my wife came back to ask me to help another family who were locked out of their car and were quite worried.
I told them I'd have it sorted quick smart and they watched me get the hanger out the boot and did the opening bit.
When I finished they thanked me , piled into their car and shot off in a bit of a hurry giving me a funny sort of look.
I mentioned this to my wife who was having a bit of a laugh and explained that when she saw their predicament she had told them not to worry as I was professional car thief and I would break into their motor in no time at all .
Cheers Tim

I noticed this pic elsewhere on the forum of Moor St with the warehouse visible in the distance. The street was busy in those days with trolley buses running along it.
City2520Moor2520St.jpg

Thanks Phil. That puts it into better context as part of, what looks like, a busy shopping area. I can now see why it was popular with easy transport access and other outlets nearby. This part of Birmingham must have effectively become cut off when the ring road was laid. Viv.

I noticed this pic elsewhere on the forum of Moor St with the warehouse visible in the distance. The street was busy in those days with trolley buses running along it.
City2520Moor2520St.jpg
A great photo with a lot happening. I always enjoy trying to date photos. The trolleybuses finished on 30th June 1951 so its obviously before that but i'm guessing not too long before so about 1950 I would say.

Simon

Re my earlier post. Just realized I may well have given a few of these hangers away when I took clothes around to the salvation army charity shop. Someone is still trying to sell one of them for £14 on an internet auction site. I could have had about £140 worth to sell! Still there is big difference between asking for £14 and actually getting it.

Knowing my luck if I had tried to get even 10pence each I would have just ended up with the bill for advertising on the auction site.

Viv,

I think you might have got a better deal having a ramble around Brum charity shops, but if I remember right, you'd have a fair distance to travel!

Maurice

Back