• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Clifton Road Aston

Do you have any photographs of him when he was at school or does he have any would be interested to see if my memory of him was same.

Hi Ray/Hobgoblin. Thanks for replying - just signed back on for the first time. I guess if my Uncle Arthur is your Uncle Arthur, we must be almost related (sort of). His wife was my Aunt Connie and, after leaving Aston, they lived in Alum Rock until they passed away, some years ago now both of them. You must also know my cousins Carol, Kenny, Rodney, Gary and Neil?

I'm a newbie to this forum and reading it made me want to join. I lived at 199 from 1954 until the end in 1971 or 72. I think ours was one of the poshest as we had an indoor bathroom. The person who had the house before my Mom and Dad was a director at HP and converted one of the bedrooms into a bathroom. We had a back yard which was separated from the big back garden by a shed. The back was enourmous and backed onto the houses in Victoria Road.

I don't recognise most of the names on the forum as we lived at the other end by Potters Hill. I went to Prince Albert with my brother and sister. My mom and dad moved to Clifton Road when I was about 3 weeks old. They are Joyce and Alf Henson. There were us 3 kids, Linda (the eldest), Me Debby (Deborah) and our brother Paul. I can remember the factory and there was a greengrocers next door or very near as I remember my mom sending me to get some spuds and she didn't want me to cross the road to go to Henney's on Potters Hill. I remember Henney's had an Irish Setter dog with a bald tail. They said it went bald due to banging it on the sacks of spuds when people came into the shop. There was a little shop over the road from us which was run by "Aunty Grace". She moved to Weston Super Mare with her husband. I remember several families around us. The Wintertons lived over the road not far from the Reynolds. That was the family whose little girl Margaret was murdered. I used to go to school with Susan her big sister and they had a little brother named Alan. I remember Dad going out on the evening that Margaret went missing with most of the men who lived by us to look for her. I went to Lacey's dentist when I chipped my front tooth swimming once. They made such a mess of mending it that I ended up with an abscess and had to have my tooth out. I ended up with a false tooth. Their equipment was really Victorian and scary. I also remember the doctors on Victoria Road. We lived by the Staples family and I think the piano teacher.

Once I had my free pass for swimming most of my school holidays were spent at the Victoria Road baths or we would go to Aston Park. I remember taking a neighbours baby for walks in the pram as far as Aston Park!! I was probably only about 9 at the time, it wouldn't be allowed now. We used to ride round the roads on our bikes. We used to go to school in Erdington and walked the length of Clifton Road to catch the 65 bus on Lichfield road.

We lived next door to the "longies" on one side. There were no houses onto the pavement but there were the back houses with a huge front garden. Dad isn't sure what happened to the front houses so if anyone knows we would love to find out. The numbers would have been 201 and 203 I would think. On the other side was a seed shop run by Mr and Mrs Latham. I remember being asked if I could help "the mantle" which turned out to the light bulb. Mrs Latham used to close her back room curtains when Mom pegged our nappies on the line. We didn't have any family living near but both Mom and Dad's families came from Aston. Mom's family lived in Summer Lane and then moved to Sudbury Grove in Kingstanding. Dad's family lived in Vicarage Road and moved to Rough Road Kingstanding.

By the time we were moved due to compulsory purchase, there were next to no houses left on the road. We had our front window smashed as it probably looked as though no one was in. We moved to Kingstanding I think in 1972.

I would love to see any photos or hear about anyone else who lived at that end of the road.

did anyone use this dentist...???

laceys the dentist...clifton road..

lyn
I have just joined the forum and put in my first post that I had horrible memories of Lacey's. I chipped my front tooth and after several attempts by them to repair it I ended up with an abscess and had to have it removed. I spent my teenage with a false front tooth on a plate. The equipment was so old. I think he used to work the drill with his foot!!

hi madhair and welcome to the forum...what great memories you have thanks for sharing them with us...there is a photo on post 13 and i have these 2...the one is of the street party for VE day

lyn

clifton road aston.jpg clifton road ve day 1945.jpg

I believe this photo, which has been reproduced several times previously, is incorrectly labelled as Clifton Road. The attached map c 1951 shows no.109 Clifton road on the opposite corner of Clifton road with Upper Sutton st to the Crown pub. the numbering is a little unusual as one would expect it to be labelled as in Sutton St. No 109 clifton road is listed as Doris Priest, drapers in all the 1950s,60s directories. therefore the only possible view , as far as I can see corresponding to the photo is looking down Upper Sutton St from the corner with Clifton road. Would appreciate any comments from people who knew the area then, hopefully confirming my deductions

Attachments

• map c 1951 showing 103 clifton road aston.jpg
    map c 1951 showing 103 clifton road aston.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 63
  • upper sutton st with 109 clifton st on corner.jpg
    upper sutton st with 109 clifton st on corner.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 64
thanks for posting that query mike...as you know my friend who we have been helping lived at 103 clifton road and she said that those houses are not the same as the one she lived in...her house had 2 upstairs bedroom windows and 2 steps up to the front door and those in that photo do not...she has also mentioned a coal yard nearby...hope someone who knew this road can help us

lyn

Not sure if this pic has been on before it was taken from the Bham Mail some time back. Sadly it was of Margaret Reynolds funeral in 1966.margaret reynolds funeral.jpg

Jayell
Here is court 25

Attachments

• map c 1951 showing court 25 clifton road, aston.jpg
    map c 1951 showing court 25 clifton road, aston.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 31
topsy i have never seen that photo before...so very sad..little margaret was only 6 years old...i remember it well...i would have been 12 coming on 13 at the time she went missing and my school used victoria road baths for our lessons...i recall people talking about it when we went swimming one day and even though i lived in villa st which was quite a step away from clifton road i remember the police coming down our entry and making a search of the back gardens...

lyn

topsy i have never seen that photo before...so very sad..little margaret was only 6 years old...i remember it well...i would have been 12 coming on 13 at the time she went missing and my school used victoria road baths for our lessons...i recall people talking about it when we went swimming one day and even though i lived in villa st which was quite a step away from clifton road i remember the police coming down our entry and making a search of the back gardens...

lyn
Yes it was a very scary time when we were kids Lyn . The police also did a search of our entry and backyard when we lived in Clifford St

I am a newbie to this Forum and reading it brought back many memories. I was born in Clifton Road number 155 I moved out in 1960 but my mom lived there until about 1969. To the side of us we had the Hardwicks nee Broadbent, Taylor then Spence. To the other side number 157 was a drapers shop (front only) the Ormes lived behind. Other families that lived the back of 157 was the Hortons, Cockbills, Read and Lewis. I remember Margaret Gibson and Frankie and Tony Bullock lived in Gothic Terrace. Down Clifton Road towards Upper Sutton Street there was a paper shop run by Violet and Len Barker. I remember the bread shop, butchers, coal yard and grocers. My brother used to deliver groceries on a bike for them. I also remember the other grocery and sweet shop, Burnetts opposite us. We used to spend lots of time in Aston Park or Victoria Road baths and I remember the doctor on Victoria Road, Dr Tellekie (not sue of the spelling).

Last edited:
A bit off the title but connected to post #214. The doctor was William Guna Tilleke. I think this might be a photo of him. ! Actually I think the son had the same name so I am not sure the photo is of the one in Victoria Road. One died in 1959 and the other in 1979.

Attachments

• Dr Tilleke.JPG
    Dr Tilleke.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Dr Tilleke photo.JPG
    Dr Tilleke photo.JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Dr Tilleke aviator.JPG
    Dr Tilleke aviator.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
I am a newbie to this Forum and reading it brought back many memories. I was born in Clifton Road number 155 I moved out in 1960 but my mom lived there until about 1969. To the side of us we had the Hardwicks nee Broadbent, Taylor then Spence. To the other side number 157 was a drapers shop (front only) the Ormes lived behind. Other families that lived the back of 157 was the Hortons, Cockbills, Read and Lewis. I remember Margaret Gibson and Frankie and Tony Bullock lived in Gothic Terrace. Down Clifton Road towards Upper Sutton Street there was a paper shop run by Violet and Len Barker. I remember the bread shop, butchers, coal yard and grocers. My brother used to deliver groceries on a bike for them. I also remember the other grocery and sweet shop, Burnetts opposite us. We used to spend lots of time in Aston Park or Victoria Road baths and I remember the doctor on Victoria Road, Dr Tellekie (not sue of the spelling).

Hardwicke nee Broadbent? My Grandads sister perhaps? Elsie?

I lived at 1/147 Clifton Road until 1959. My parents were Joe and Alice Tattam and we lived with my grandmother Letitia Smith. My Mom's best friend who lived opposite at 1/125 was related to the Barkers who owned the shop, though we never got any discounts on our sweets!

Last edited:
Hardwicke nee Broadbent? My Grandads sister perhaps? Elsie?
Hi,I use to live in gothic terraces and knew Tony Bullock and Margaret Gibson.We lived at no 4.We were the Thompson family (Johnny, Margaret ,Billy and Doris. This is back in the fifties.I found a book called "Aston Remembered" by Victor J Price ,which includes a picture of the sweet shop Bennett in Clifton road.
From Gothic terrace

Back