• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Lichfield Road Aston

Hi ray
Just off the top of my Head I could not tell you at this moments,all I can say is my dad took me
Quite afew. Times with him on a Saturday morning for bits and bobs ,
I was really fascinated by the Huge brush hanging above the shop for years
I wondered whom ever made that broom it was a giant one
And when I walked to st Marys s book I passed it every day to and from
And old Matty a real gentleman to us all the kids from Cromwell terrace/square
On Christmas period when the evening mail advertised that uncle Holly and father Xmas
Was coming on the evening he. Called us 12 kids into the back of the shop
And gave us all an orange sitting on the floor watching one of his tellies as it was a cold
Winter evening andne kept popping out of the shop to see if he could she the sledge coming up Lichfield road
Coming from Aston Station heading for Lewises
But any way I think if mike see your request I am sure he can give you there numbers
Of the shop as I said we was number 5/back of 92 Lichfield road
My cousin last night whom I have not seen or spoke in a decade was refreshing memories of our child hood days of Lichfield red and park street and Catherine street best wishes Alan,,Astoniasn,,,

Hi ray
Just off the top of my Head I could not tell you at this moments,all I can say is my dad took me
Quite afew. Times with him on a Saturday morning for bits and bobs ,
I was really fascinated by the Huge brush hanging above the shop for years
I wondered whom ever made that broom it was a giant one
And when I walked to st Marys s book I passed it every day to and from
And old Matty a real gentleman to us all the kids from Cromwell terrace/square
On Christmas period when the evening mail advertised that uncle Holly and father Xmas
Was coming on the evening he. Called us 12 kids into the back of the shop
And gave us all an orange sitting on the floor watching one of his tellies as it was a cold
Winter evening andne kept popping out of the shop to see if he could she the sledge coming up Lichfield road
Coming from Aston Station heading for Lewises
But any way I think if mike see your request I am sure he can give you there numbers
Of the shop as I said we was number 5/back of 92 Lichfield road
My cousin last night whom I have not seen or spoke in a decade was refreshing memories of our child hood days of Lichfield red and park street and Catherine street best wishes Alan,,Astoniasn,,,

Hi pedrocut
Many thanks for that bit of Old history picture of the station
I hope nobody minds about being abit cheeky in Asking but is it possible ,you or any member
Of the forum may have an old picture of park street Aston, and possible of inclusion of the vine
On the corner of lichfield road and park street houses in view
The reason i am asking for one so i could down load a copy for the reason of that my 1st cousin
Whom died two weeks ago is being burried at witton cemetry with her husband already interned there
And to day i was in contact with her eldest sister Val, whom i have not seen or heard or spoke in forty years
They lived at number 10 park road aston, there was a lady member whom responded some mnths back about park street whom lived a few doors from them was bfeat friends with my three cousins
I think there friend was pauline, or barbara whom replied
She as not lived in brum for fifty years and i thought i may get a copy of her old street and the vine if its was possible and copy and take it with me for her to have as a memoto one for sheila and val
The funeral is at st martins church witton lodge road and being burried in witton
And the wake at old osscott club
One again i thank every body for taking time in reading my request
Best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,,

Hi pedrocut
Many thanks for that bit of Old history picture of the station
I hope nobody minds about being abit cheeky in Asking but is it possible ,you or any member
Of the forum may have an old picture of park street Aston, and possible of inclusion of the vine
On the corner of lichfield road and park street houses in view
The reason i am asking for one so i could down load a copy for the reason of that my 1st cousin
Whom died two weeks ago is being burried at witton cemetry with her husband already interned there
And to day i was in contact with her eldest sister Val, whom i have not seen or heard or spoke in forty years
They lived at number 10 park road aston, there was a lady member whom responded some mnths back about park street whom lived a few doors from them was bfeat friends with my three cousins
I think there friend was pauline, or barbara whom replied
She as not lived in brum for fifty years and i thought i may get a copy of her old street and the vine if its was possible and copy and take it with me for her to have as a memoto one for sheila and val
The funeral is at st martins church witton lodge road and being burried in witton
And the wake at old osscott club
One again i thank every body for taking time in reading my request
Best wishes Alan,,, Astonian,,,,,

Will look through the Arhives...All the best, Pedro

Hi, thanks for your lovely memories of times gone by. Great photo's I will let my father-in-law have a read, he'll be delighted. Does any one remember the surname of Johnstone or Bradnock who left
Lichfield Road in 1938 to Turfpits Lane.

Note: This post and numbers #112 - #127 posts were re-located to this thread from the Birchfield Road Perry Barr thread, as the image has subsequently been identified as Lichfield Road.

This image is labelled as Birchfield Road in the 1950s. But I'm not exactly sure whereabouts on Birchfield Road it is. Nice sports car behind the trams. Viv.

image.jpeg

HI VIV
You are correct they have dropped a booby when you said its the salford bridge area
yes you are correct to a degree because that is Lichfield road
it as just gone pass victoria road and church lane on the left of the tram
and in saying that ,on the right of the tram its just past the vine pub and park street
and the car compond is what you see are on the corner of church lane
and next down on church lane was isleys coal yard
but forgetting that they are approaching the shops of lichfield road and the second shop in that batch was the dolls hospital
If anybody remembers that then the lichfield road post office where june moorby used to work
and i lived along the road from that corner born and raised and played and know most of the shops all the way down to the aston station is what you can see in the distance and salford bridge is way beyond that
best wishes viv , and well spotted Alan,, Astonian;;;;

good morning mike
yes thanks for the map which is correct but the photo of the trams
what viv as said yes its lichfield road
I canonly presume the number of the tram you was speaking about which was put on
did run up the victoria road and six ways and perry barr and back returning to the salford bridge
Teminus which would be the case of being on the lichfield road heading down hill to Aston station
and salford bridge turn around station
that picture was on here about eight or ten years ago, its nice to see it again,
Have a nice day , best wishes Alan Astonian, ,,,,,,,

I think Alan is correct, it is the Lichfield Rd.
In Viv's pic in #516 there are overhead lines coming in from the left joining the overhead lines running along the Lichfield Rd. The strange thing is that there are no corresponding tracks coming in from the left. The No 5 trams came down Victoria Rd to join the Lichfield Rd tracks. I only have a 1905 map and have marked where I think the photographer and the trams were in the pic. The only explanation I can think of about the track is that the No 5 trams were closed down well before the No 79 trams were closed and maybe the Victoria Rd tracks had been removed.
oldmohawk
VictLich.JPG

Hi old mowhawk
i have a book of the old trams and listings of the servicesand time travells
i will try and sort the book out later today regarding the ending of the tracks
i can recall them moving the tram tracks around aston best wishes Alan Astonian,,,

Back