• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Windows 10

IIRC Adblock has been available for Edge for a couple of months now.

I'm now using Opera as my main browser, its quick and slick.

The end result is, I cannot see any difference to Win 10, so what would it be? Any ideas.
Terry

Windows 10 is millions of line of code, much of it "under the covers" that most end users never see and are totally unaware of.

So there can be a major update to Windows that changes all sorts of function, or adds loads of security patches, but that does not change the user interface at all.

Just because you dont SEE any changes to Windows after a major update it does not mean there have not been any.

Lots of people use Internet Explorer, there is nothing wrong with it.

While indeed many people DO use Internet Explorer it does not mean there is nothing wrong with it.

For a number of years now many security groups have said you should not use Internet Explorer.

I seem to remember a few years ago the US government told all its employees to stop using it.

You only have to search on "Don't use Internet Explorer" to find many web sites saying why you should stop using it.

Here is one

https://www.talismansolutions.co.uk/blog/8-reasons-you-shouldnt-be-using-internetexplorer/

The fact that Microsoft have "hidden" it in Windows 10 and replaced it with their Edge browser should convince people it is not safe to use.

guilbert53, this is probably a naïve question but for someone not too PC wise in what way is it not safe??? I have used it since my first PC 18 years ago with no ill effects to date but am prepared to drop it if it will cause me problems in the future. Thanks. Eric

I notice with the 'Create New Thread' function there is an option to 'Post a Poll' see the pic below.
Perhaps we could have a Poll to see which is the most popular browser used by forum members.
I suppose it could look something like the pic but I have no idea what it would look like at the moment. Also it would have to be set so that only forum members could vote in it.
Pollpic.JPG

Last edited:
I have 3 browsers installed which I use depending on what I am looking at. Chrome is No 1 that I use for all my frequently used sites, like this one and others. 2 I use Opera for my less frequently used sites, like Flightradar 24. Though I am contemplating making it my No 1 browser, I will make my mind up shortly.No 3 is Seamonkey, which I use for reading newsgroups only.

The best browser for ordinary users like us is the one we each like. I like Chrome so that's what I use.
I notice I have got Opera but forgotten I had it. I've had a 'real go' with Edge but until it can properly handle bookmarks (favourites) it is of no use to me.

One 'goodie' coming in the Win 10 August Update is the 'All Apps' list will be visible as a list in the 'Start Menu' instead of having to go bottom left and bring up the list. Apps will also be visible on the full screen as they used to be in Windows 8.1 ...

Last edited:
guilbert53, this is probably a naïve question but for someone not too PC wise in what way is it not safe??? I have used it since my first PC 18 years ago with no ill effects to date but am prepared to drop it if it will cause me problems in the future. Thanks. Eric

I guess because Windows and Internet Explorer are used by millions of people round the world then many many of those people will have used IE with NO problem. So that could continue for years.

However to understand the issues with IE you need to go back to the early days of browsers and the internet.

IE came out in 1995 and in those days there was no "rules" for the internet and each company (Microsoft, Netscape etc.) was trying to make the internet its own by adding features to its browser that were unique to that browser (to encourage companies to write ONLY for that browser).

That is why for a long time some web sites said their site could only run in IE, because it used features only available in IE.

But then the internet began to be controlled and web site design began to be standardized and rules came out about what you could and could not do on your web site (so that ANY browser could be used on EVERY web site).

So Microsoft began to "patch" IE to make it work with the "new" web site design rules (as well as still trying to support its OLD web design rules). And as the rules changed over the years they had to patch it and patch it over and over again.

But you can only patch any piece of software for so long before it becomes a tangled mess of code. And this tangled mess of code is what allows hackers and criminals to design web sites that steal your personal information or run viruses or malware on your computer.

So people began to design NEW browsers from the ground up to support these new web site design rules, browsers such as Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge.

So overall you are far better using a "modern" browser (Chrome, Edge) than one that was created in 1995.

I know some may say that surely Windows came out a long time ago as well. Well yes it did, but much of Windows "under the covers" (the parts that users don't see) has been rewritten and redesigned. Much of the code underlying Windows 10 is not the same as that used in Windows 7 , and not the same as that used in Windows XP. In fact using XP is just as dangerous as using Internet Explorer as XP was written in the days before many of the modern security issues came to light. In fact using Windows XP with Internet Explorer on the web is about as risky as you can get.

Most modern version of Windows (7, 8, 10) have much more security "designed in" so are MUCH safer to use on the internet.

So getting OFF XP and OFF Internet Explorer should be an aim for all of us.

Last edited:
guilbert23, thanks for your 'plain English' explanation, I have realised on thinking back I do not use IE as often as I thought, tend to go to Google or YouTube (a favourite website of mine) and my BT page to check for emails and news items. Have had a lot of email problems recently (now all OK) but that was a BT problem and not IE. Thanks again. Eric

My first search engine was AltaVista, (remember it) Then Yahoo took it over, and they shut it down in 2013. Now if you do a search and click on Altavista.kom it goes straight to the Yahoo home page. (.kom is a deliberate mistake by the way. Just in case anyone clicks on it accidently)

Use Microsoft and whatever their browser is and you are using the industry standard. This has been the default browser/operating system for years and consequently it has been the most common target for hackers and malware creators. Things are changing. A few years back Android became the commonest operating system (mostly because people started using mobile devices more). I expect Chrome will slowly take over from IE as default browser. Already there are reports of viruses written for Android systems. If that happens, Android/Chrome will develop the same problems as you currently find with Windows/IE.

Last edited:
All the discussion about browsers led me to have yet another real go with EDGE.
It's layout is better than Internet Explorer and it easily imports favourites from other browsers but needs some work to get a neat layout. I have sorted my previously mentioned bookmarks (favourites) layout issues apart from a few minor niggles.

Anyone using it for the first time could be put off with all the helpful 'bumph' that Microsoft push out to first time users of Windows 10.

After the promised August update improvements it could become my second choice browser.

Before you sell or give away your computer / laptop I would suggest you look at this site first. https://myactivity.google.kom/myactivity. I have just looked and it has showed me everything or nearly everything I have looked at and searched for in the last 3 years, and that is 2 years before I actually bought my computer. I have nothing to worry about but I still don't want all my computer viewing saved for any tom dick and harry to look at. If you do go to the site you will need to change the Kom to com first. I am now going to see if I can delete it all and stop it from saving it again.
Terry

Myactivity is stored on Google servers rather than in a computer. I've looked at mine using different computers and even from my iPad and always had to sign in to my Google account which means that if other persons don't know my Google password they can't see my activity. It is interesting looking at it, like a trip down memory lane. You can delete most of it but maybe Google have a back-up somewhere !

Myactivity is stored on Google servers rather than in a computer. I've looked at mine using different computers and even from my iPad and always had to sign in to my Google account which means that if other persons don't know my Google password they can't see my activity. It is interesting looking at it, like a trip down memory lane. You can delete most of it but maybe Google have a back-up somewhere !
I have just tried and it wanted me to log in to my google account - I don't have one so would also assume that others can't see it either. I am about to get rid of a PC but will get it wiped first so there is no data on it.

Janice

Terry
I get message "The requested URL /myactivity. was not found on this server" (after changing k to c)

I use many of Google's services and accept that their computer searches my stuff for keywords and directs adverts at me.
Back to Windows 10, I find the OneDrive feature one of it's most useful features. It is like having a 5Gb Windows folder viewable from any computer you log into, even from Apple devices.

The 'Anniversary Update' came into my laptop today, took 1 hour 40 minutes. The Start Menu looks slightly different but nice, and everything else looks the same. Cortana is deeply embedded and I haven't yet been able to get rid of her ... looks like a registry change might be needed !

I've managed to disable Cortana, she's still there but does not intrude on the search. I can choose to use her or not. The update switched off all my privacy settings so had to reset them. Wifi printer works ok, all installed apps work. The Start now shows all installed programs and recently used ones in a list without having to click anything.
AnnUpdate.jpg

My major update installed yesterday and now when I sign on with my PIN number it says 'incorrect PIN' so I have to sign on with my password. Eric

My 10 year old desktop was struggling with Windows 10 mainly graphics driver problems, and although I have a laptop and iPad I like a desktop with it's large screen connected direct to the router for internet banking, music, and dvds etc. So I bought a new computer (moderate specification) and put it in place.

I was pleasantly surprised on start-up as I entered my account name and Microsoft said hello and informed me I was using 970Mb of OneDrive and texted a code to my mobile to verify it was me. The computer continued to find my printer and speakers etc and then synced with my laptop's Windows settings putting the laptop's background pic on screen. I installed Chrome and watched as it synced and all my bookmarks appeared. I was up and running less than one hour after taking the computer out of it's cardboard box.

However, the computer was manufactured last year in a land far away and spent some months on a boat coming to the UK and had a version of Windows 10 prior to November 2015. Over the next hour or two I watched as a lot of updates including the November upgrade downloaded with some necessary restarts. I then decided to install the latest August Aniversary Update but it stopped halfway through, and another try also failed.

With some help from Google search it seemed that Mcafee AV (installed by computer manufacturer) was stopping the upgrade and I had to remove all traces of it before the upgrade would successfully install. I did not want Mcafee so wasn't bothered and Windows Defender automatically took over.

Microsoft's new Edge browser has been improved and easily imported my Chrome bookmarks but needed much help from me arranging them. I have set Edge to use Google search and banished Cortana. Edge can now use extensions and I imported Adblock which can be set to allow adverts on deserving websites. I think Edge is now good enough to be my second browser and in my opinion is much better (once you get used to it) than Internet Explorer.

Last edited:
oldmohawk, I have McFee AV (comes free with my BT package) and had no trouble in installing August update, took about 35 minutes. I Have a 11 month old Acer Predator desk top. Eric

Hi Eric, I had remembered that you had a Mcafee and had successfully installed the update but I think you have it with BT Netprotect and maybe that makes it act differently. I do use Norton covering up to 5 computers and will probably extend it to my new desktop.
I am quite impressed with Windows Defender which integrates with Windows but as I have Norton I might as well use it.
My Windows computers are off at the moment so I'm posting this from my handy little iPad which does not need AV ....:)
oldmohawk

old Mohawk, I have had one or two pc's which have come with anti virus already installed my last had Norton, this one had McFee, which I deleted and installed my BT Netprotect (but still McFee) which as you suggest could make the difference. iPads, tablets, smart phones are all beyond me I'm afraid, regret my limited knowledge of modern high tech but at 86 yo a bit to old to learn, still I know enough to manage my PC, pay bills, tax car, on line banking etc..... and the good old Forum. Eric

You may well know, Eric, that if you activate Windows Defender it usually closes any other anti/v programmes you have so leave it until Norton needs renewing. I use Windows defender and it is more than adequate for my needs, but gamers and users of some web sites might need additional protection.

Back