• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Erdington

Hi Martyn. Some of the PCs on eBay are copies and not originals. It depends on whether you want originals. If they've got writing on the back then they're likely to be original. But those with blank backs can be less easy to detect. Many are quite cheap, so if you just want a PC of the view, regardless of whether it's original, then you won't have invested too much money. Viv.

I've commented elsewhere on the forum that Erdington appeared to be one of the most photogenic suburbs in the old street pics.
Two pics below....

They certainly had an impressive library and a big flag flying above it.
A childhood memory of visiting it in 'My First Visit to a Library' thread click/here
erdlibold2.jpg

And they still have the library looking good.
ErdLib3new.JPG

Agree Phil, lots of interesting buildings still at the centre of Erdington despite more modern developments. I don't remember a fenced area in front of the library but this photo shows one. Looks like it extended across the top of Mason Road. Sorry no date. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    147.5 KB · Views: 32
Think the last photo maybe maies the fenced area appear to be nearer the Library. This photo shows the area clearly in the position of the Green as we remember it. Or was it moved? Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 38
Viv
I don't think it is directly in front of the library, but accross the road on the triangle of ground at the centre of the junction. From Google it looks like its now a bit of broken down fencing

A few years ago I posted a couple of photos of the National School which stood close to
Erdington Parish Church on the High Street and also a photo of the second edition of
the Roebuck Pub which was next to the National School. These photos were sent to me by
Erdington Library many years ago after I asked them in particular for a photo of the National School
as no one seemed to have a photo of the place. I remember both of these buildings very well. I will post the black and white photo of the School in the next post.

Attachments

• National School 2 and Roebuck.jpg
    National School 2 and Roebuck.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the black and white photo of the National School.
I2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember it so well Jennyann, many of the childen from the cottage homes in Reservoir road went to the school.

I had my hair cut at the barbers near the chip shop, it would have been about 1979-81, Cannot remember much about it though

Chester Road Erdington 1906 from a post card.

View attachment 96088
I wonder where it actually is, from 1941 to 1947 I walked from Court Lane to Green Lane's school every day, there was a bus the S73, but it did not run to suit me. The last time I visited, I drove the route........nowadays that walk is probably considered too tiring for the little dears!!!

Hi Onceabrummie,

Sorry - only just spotted your response about the Knights at the Pavillion (436). I will tell my friend. And no, I didn't sneak in - I'd like to say that it was because I was law-abiding but actually I didn't know that was happening!
I see you walked from Court Lane to Green Lanes school so do you remember the wooden bridge over the railway at the top of Sheffield Road (actually in Sutton, but only just)? An old school friend of mine lived in Goosemoor Lane and made the same trip. I only remember the present bridge. I lived in Court Lane 1947-1963, by the park.

Hi Onceabrummie,

Sorry - only just spotted your response about the Knights at the Pavillion (436). I will tell my friend. And no, I didn't sneak in - I'd like to say that it was because I was law-abiding but actually I didn't know that was happening!
I see you walked from Court Lane to Green Lanes school so do you remember the wooden bridge over the railway at the top of Sheffield Road (actually in Sutton, but only just)? An old school friend of mine lived in Goosemoor Lane and made the same trip. I only remember the present bridge. I lived in Court Lane 1947-1963, by the park.
Lady Penelope
Good afternoon to you, recently on a return visit to the city I still consider to be home, I took my wife to see the way that I used to go to schools, left at the Baptist Chuch, cross over, past Highbury Little Theatre and then SHOCK HORROR!!, it is now a brick bridge, no longer could small boys do what during the war years small boys did especially if there was a train passing underneath. To quote the song, ah yes, I remember it well. I lived up the top end in the prewar (1939) built houses just before the cemetery. I was born over the other side of the road which was Sutton, but moved across in 1939 into one of Grosvenor Estates modern three bed semis. 1947 went to BVGS. Sunday mornings used to go down to the park to watch the football. My father in law a Cornishman born and bred who moved to Plymouth from the county could never get over Birmingham with all its trees and parks. He anticipated dark satanic mills, but got used to the tree lined A38. I have an old picture of Goosemoor Lane which I will try to put on as I need some location identification. Do you remember the big house on the corner of Court Lane and Goosemoor Lane where Hastilows who owned Tudor Rose Coaches used to live?

Sorry Onceabrummie, I don't remember the house you mention although I should do because we used to go to the doctors who lived just before the spinney. Also we used to catch the 5a or 7 into Birmingham. Look forward to seeing the picture of Goosemoor Lane (or Goosegog Lane as we used to call it!) There was a very large house a little further down towards your house but I don't know if it's still there. Must go and look. I remember the tennis courts just before the doctor's house too.

Lady Penelope
Good afternoon to you, recently on a return visit to the city I still consider to be home, I took my wife to see the way that I used to go to schools, left at the Baptist Chuch, cross over, past Highbury Little Theatre and then SHOCK HORROR!!, it is now a brick bridge, no longer could small boys do what during the war years small boys did especially if there was a train passing underneath. To quote the song, ah yes, I remember it well. I lived up the top end in the prewar (1939) built houses just before the cemetery. I was born over the other side of the road which was Sutton, but moved across in 1939 into one of Grosvenor Estates modern three bed semis. 1947 went to BVGS. Sunday mornings used to go down to the park to watch the football. My father in law a Cornishman born and bred who moved to Plymouth from the county could never get over Birmingham with all its trees and parks. He anticipated dark satanic mills, but got used to the tree lined A38. I have an old picture of Goosemoor Lane which I will try to put on as I need some location identification. Do you remember the big house on the corner of Court Lane and Goosemoor Lane where Hastilows who owned Tudor Rose Coaches used to live?
Hi Onceabrummie.
I share your sentiments once a Brummie always a brummie, I moved away 10years ago to North Devon love Devon but still think a lot about what Birmingham gave me.
The house you were talking about was Hastilows The Removals people, I believe it was themother of Hastilows who sold the house and it was pulled down I think it was in the 1960's, in its place the Built a number of houses and called it Witton Cote.
Haven't been that way for over 20 years.
The girl I married lived just up the road in Abbeyfield Road
Regards Ray

Back