• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Nechells Park Road

I don't know any further details Frank, but suggest you post your query with names of the people you are looking for under the appropriate intial i.e. B for Bromley and I am sure someone will try and help you, this will be under Census Requests.

sylvia sayers. Thank you for your messages. have logged on to genes reunited and the 1911 census shows family at the nechells address .The 1901 shows family at a different address..not very impressed with findmypast,co,uk.Thanks again frank

just before you got Nechells swimming baths on Nechells Park Road, coming from town, and set back from the road was a building that I remember going to see a a dancing school perform its christmas show, Thats all i can rember please is there anyone who knows what this building was I would be most grateful to know, its driving me mad not knowing. The time was around 1950.
Thank you and Happy 2008 to you all
Maggie
Hi Maggie,
I may be a bit late having just found your post and the reply from mwOnjm., I remember Nechells Hall very well, as you say the building was set back from the road on the right just before Trevor Street going towards the swimming baths. I think it was built in the early 30's and was a "Methodist Hall" .When the Methodist Chapel in Rocky Lane closed soon after the war most of the regular congregation attended Nechells Hall together with the Boys Brigade who held their meetings there, also the youth club of which I was a member.At the rear of the main hall on an upper floor was another large room where we played table tennis and also taught the basics of ballroom dancing. Choir concerts and other "Shows" were staged in the main hall on occasions.There was also a film projection room but I never saw any films being shown.
Regards Reg, "Roverman"

Hi Maggie ,yes it was the Methodist Hall the minister was Mr Howard a welsh man.I went to Brownies there and sang in the choir.My family lived in Nechells all their lives my Aunty only died 2 years ago in Nechells and she always referred to it has a picture house.It has changed from how I remember it .There where 4 shops between it and Trevor Street.Wimbushes the cake shop on the corner ,Fenns the butcher, I think Braggs the green grocer and then the Deli that sold Lurpak butter loose from a big Tub.Regards Polly

This is on ebay for £32, ridiculous price, don't know whereabouts in Nechells Park road, and I walked that road 2 or 3 times a day for 5 years$_57.jpg

John

It's never worth that much, I have seen it advertised at much less than that in the past. Anyway it's the junction of Butlin Street & Nechells Park Road. Perhaps you might recognise it from this 1970's photo.

Nechells Nechells Park Rd - Butlin St  c1970.jpg

john cant say as ive seen a gum machine since i left villa st in 72...they certainly would not last long nowadays..nice photos both

lyn

I remember in the 50's/60's era my Wife dragging me along to a shop called Bullivant's in Nechells Park Rd, a I think it was a drapers, a favourite shop of hers. Eric

eric i thought we had a thread for nechells park road showing a pic of bullivants but i must be mistaken..will have another look in case i missed it

lyn

Looking at the entry, I thought the seller might be selling the negative, but no. It is claimed to be a postcard. But the negative that it has been taken from would seem to have a cross-shaped crack on it, and I can't see commercial photographers making genuine postcards reproducing that. They would have at least retouched it, I would have thought. So it may be someone printing off supposedly genuine old postcards from an old negative. What do you think?

Last edited:
Back