• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Battle Of The Somme 1 July Centenary

My father-In-Law Arthur William Hayward of 1/8thBtn Royal Warwickshire Regiment fought at the Somme and was a survivor and was invalided out in 1917. We have been researching his army life and know that he was a territorial and enlisted about 1909 but we do not know where he was born in Birmingham or where he spent his early life.

Hope you can uncover more information in time Simon, don't give up.

Allan that must be exceptional for all 3 brothers to be awarded the DCM, and named in the SAME despatch! But then there's little consolation when there's loss of life. Viv.

What a terrible terrible waste of young men's lives, was it worth it ? It's Governments who start these wars, but it is the ordinary man/woman in the street who fight them and lose their lives, often not sure of the reason for going to war. I despair of the human race. Eric

Hope you can uncover more information in time Simon, don't give up.

Allan that must be exceptional for all 3 brothers to be awarded the DCM, and named in the SAME despatch! But then there's little consolation when there's loss of life. Viv.
Viv,
The brothers were not awarded the DCM. They were mentioned in despatches for distinguished conduct in the same despatch. This, it itself, was an award called the MID' The recipients received a certificate and were entitled to wear a bronze spray of oak leaves. The despatches were in the London Gazette and indicated that the person concerned had performed a meritous act but not quite worthy of a medal. In the war diaries only officers were recorded by name. Everyone else was listed as other ranks (e.g 1 named officer killed + 35 other ranks) As a result was mainly officers who were mentioned in despatches
Nevertheless it was a coincidence for the brothers to be named in the same despatch although their actions were not necessarily on the same day or in the same theatre of war.
Old Boy

My father-In-Law Arthur William Hayward of 1/8thBtn Royal Warwickshire Regiment fought at the Somme and was a survivor and was invalided out in 1917. We have been researching his army life and know that he was a territorial and enlisted about 1909 but we do not know where he was born in Birmingham or where he spent his early life.
Hi Pat,
My uncle was in the Territorial Army pre 1914. I know that he was in the Royal Warwickshire Regt and feel sure that it was 1/8th Battalion that he served. Unfortunately I have mislaid the details in a recent house move but will have a good look for them in the next day or so. The point I wish to make, however, that he paraded at the BSA, Small Heath and I imagine that all the members either worked at BSA or lived nearby. My uncle did both . Sadly he was killed at Passchendale on 28 August 1917.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Thanks Old boy. Just a small point, the War Diaries do occasionally mention soldiers who weren't officers. Viv.

Do you have a date of birth? The more info you can put then the easier it might be for someone to help.
Janice

My Great Uncle KRRC 8075 L/Sgt ARTHUR EDWIN BOTT b. 1891 Birmingham d. France 27-7-1916.

A man who gave his life along with many, many others so that we can live free.

I never knew him but I have learnt about him thanks to the internet. R.I.P

Hi Pat,
My uncle was in the Territorial Army pre 1914. I know that he was in the Royal Warwickshire Regt and feel sure that it was 1/8th Battalion that he served. Unfortunately I have mislaid the details in a recent house move but will have a good look for them in the next day or so. The point I wish to make, however, that he paraded at the BSA, Small Heath and I imagine that all the members either worked at BSA or lived nearby. My uncle did both . Sadly he was killed at Passchendale on 28 August 1917.

Hi Pat,

Pat,
You seem to have sent back my original message with no comment.

Hi Chris - thank you for your reply which was very interesting - Arthur had a sister Rose who was married to Jack Quincey and they lived in Bolton Road, Small Heath and they both worked at the BSA so Arthur could possibly have lived in that same area.
On Saturday last we had a very enjoyable time at the Summer get-together with everyone and then my daughter Lindsay drove my husband Cyril and myself to Aston Parish Church and we took with us a picture of 1/8th regiment and the historian of the church was absolutely amazed when he saw it and said he had been searching for this picture for many many years and had never seen it before and asked permission to scan it. There are so many mementos of The Royal Warwickshire Regiment and he showed us The Colours of the 2/8 Regiment also.

Dear Janice
We don't have his date of birth and just know that he was born about 1878 which isn't much help sadly.
Pat

Pat,
I have some information which you will probably find of interest. However, I think it would be best to continue this matter by Email rather than on the thread. Can you send me a private message giving your Email address please?
Chris Beresford.

Hi Pat, Your Arthur was born 1893 in Birmingham. The Rose (Rosa) you mentioned married a relation of mine John Thomas Edgar Quincey in 1913. It seems a lot of Quinceys worked at BSA as did my Grandfather who married a Quincey.

Apologies for hi jacking this post but I don't know how to contact Pat privately

Private messages are now "conversations". Click on her name on the avatar and then "start conversation".

Janice

Hi Pat, Your Arthur was born 1893 in Birmingham. The Rose (Rosa) you mentioned married a relation of mine John Thomas Edgar Quincey in 1913. It seems a lot of Quinceys worked at BSA as did my Grandfather who married a Quincey.

Apologies for hi jacking this post but I don't know how to contact Pat privately
Hello Rowan - it's wonderful to hear this about Arthur and I have tried to contact you privately but have been unsuccessful - it's really urgent that I speak to you so do hope we can be in touch.
Regards Pat.

I was fortunate to have a ticket for the Thiepval 100 year memorial event last week. I have to say that I was impressed by the effort the French authorities put into this. There were 10,000 people at the event which required a tremendous amount of organisation to get us all through the security screen and to the event on time. Having arrived by coach food and drinks were plentiful and there were other things to see to keep us occupied awaiting the main event. These included the new visitor centre at Thiepval , a World War 1 aircraft and replica British tank. The bands played in the background and the Irish guards were immaculate. I sat amongst these 10,000 and looked around. As far as I could see there were people everywhere, to my back there were dozens of rows of seated people, the same to my left and right and then in front were the remaining 1000's. It dawned on me that in every direction there were crowds of people but on that day 100 years ago, twice as many of those present were killed in action and an incredible five times that number were wounded or killed. It is not until you have 10,000 in front of you that you quite realise the sacrifice.
I have visited the battlefields of France and Belgium for the last 16 years making over 40 visits. I have visited numerous cemeteries and memorials to the fallen who have no known grave. If I have come to understand one thing it is this, each and every man who fought on those battlefields is a much a man I could ever hope to be.

Steve R

Thank you Steve for describing the memorial event. Must have been a very moving occasion. And incredibly hard today for us to visualise the scale of loss and injury. Viv.

Back