• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Porchester Street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
couple of pics of porchester st folks....if anyone has anymore would love to see them.
pic 1 shows alma st school on the right...i went there for the first 6 months of my school years

lyn

Attachments

• porchester street.jpg
    porchester street.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 166
  • porchester st.jpg
    porchester st.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 181
another 2 i have...pic 2 shows numbers 73 to 97

lyn

Attachments

• porchester st 1966.jpg
    porchester st 1966.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 164
  • Porchester_Street_No_73-97_Newtown_-_25-2-1968.jpg
    Porchester_Street_No_73-97_Newtown_-_25-2-1968.jpg
    330 KB · Views: 160
and another...porchester st/furnace lane

Attachments

• Porchester_Street_-_Furnace_lane 1967.jpg
    Porchester_Street_-_Furnace_lane 1967.jpg
    313.9 KB · Views: 141
Hi i remember the wood yard on the right picture, forget his name who owned it but George and Rita home lived next door. and the factory in the left picture, we used to jump the roofs as kids, and my brother alfy fell and was hanging from iron bars, if he had of fell he would have gone straight into the machines, and there used to be a green grocers at the bottom of the road, fantastic memories.

marie moore

we lived at 83 porchester street, the out door on the corner, she used to make penny ice lollys, we used to send her out the back for them and i know its wrong but we use to pinch the toffees, ha ha got caught and had a good hiding

marie

lol marie the things we used to get up to....i could write a book...if you lived at no 83 then surely your house must be showing in the 4th photo i posted??..you are lucky

lyn

yes i got it, and newtons lived next door, wow we used to go tatting when the houses were being knocked down, i was 10, used to take copper and lead to the scrap yard, in the bottom of my dolls pram hahahaha great years

gosh that brings back memories marie...me and our kid used to go around the bomb pecks as we called them collecting the tat ...used an old pram...dad used to burn off the outer casing in the back garden..let the copper cool down then wrap them into balls.then as you say..off the scrap yard..6 kids in our family and we didnt have a lot of money but never went short of the things that mattered....very happy days indeed..oh and when we lived in villa st we used to get a leg over the vine pub back wall and pass over the empties then take them round the front to the pubs outdoor and get the money off them lol..

lyn

gosh that brings back memories marie...me and our kid used to go around the bomb pecks as we called them collecting the tat ...used an old pram...dad used to burn off the outer casing in the back garden..let the copper cool down then wrap them into balls.then as you say..off the scrap yard..6 kids in our family and we didnt have a lot of money but never went short of the things that mattered....very happy days indeed..oh and when we lived in villa st we used to get a leg over the vine pub back wall and pass over the empties then take them round the front to the pubs outdoor and get the money off them lol..

lyn

lol we did too with the milk bottles and got a penny each for them. my uncle got a load of tat, and hid it in the cellar of an empty house at the back of us, i got up at 3am in the morning went down the cellar and robbed it , i was a right tom boy. lol, and another time the kids locked me in an old house, and set the house on fire lol lol i had to go down the celler and shout through the grids for help lolol the fire engins came. the kids dont know there born today. we had 7 in our family. do you remember the big tin baths that came out once a week and we all got in one after the other in manky water lol lol

Used to go to a firm in Porchester Street called J.R.Pearson, used to make nameplates and such, this was in the middle 50's.

Used to go to a firm in Porchester Street called J.R.Pearson, used to make nameplates and such, this was in the middle 50's.
Hi John, My father (Arthur Leroux) and brother (Jeff) both worked at J R Pearson (shopfitters), in the 50s and 60s. When we moved to Cannock in 1962 dad used to use 2 buses and the train to get to work. John

Hi i remember the wood yard on the right picture, forget his name who owned it but George and Rita home lived next door. and the factory in the left picture, we used to jump the roofs as kids, and my brother alfy fell and was hanging from iron bars, if he had of fell he would have gone straight into the machines, and there used to be a green grocers at the bottom of the road, fantastic memories.

marie moore
hi marie do you rember some one who ran around with you a naughton

Hi mary yes i do remember him very well he was my first childhood sweet heart hahaha although he never knew it, his name was Arthur, i saw him a couple of times when we were about 16, i am a born again christian and have been praying for him all these years, yes we were very good friends, is he your brother, i remember he had sisters, mary , elizabeth and his brother tommy x idid see your post 9th nov but was on my way to israel and could not answer you . please do stay in contact, x

Back