• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Cockshut Hill School

Hi Geff, not sure if I have repeated my reply! My dad used to be on the Yardley Homeguard gunsite at what is now known as Poolway/Kents Moat shopping area, it was just fields at the time, hope that helps,
Best regards

Hi Geff, not sure if I have repeated my reply! My dad used to be on the Yardley Homeguard gunsite at what is now known as Poolway/Kents Moat shopping area, it was just fields at the time, hope that helps,
Best regards

My dad was also in the Yardley Homeguard, when we lived at Barrows Lane. Teachers I remember at Cockshut Hill include, Miss. Smith, Mrs. Witkowska, Miss Orme, Mrs. Davies, Miss Allen, the Rev. Green who took Religious Instruction, Mrs. Garton, and a tall thin teacher, who I think was called either Miss. Bradbury or Miss. Oldknow. I remember when she fell on the ice and we all got in trouble for laughing. I remember a pageant in Queen's Road Park about the Plantagenets. I also remember Mrs. Witkowska taking sewing in the visitor's flat and the needle of the machine went through her finger and we had to help her remove herself from it. I was there from 1953 to 58. Pupils I remember include, Pam Shenstone, Pam Wall, Pat Greenhalgh and a Janet McPhail.

Ma
Margaret Wilson, did you live in Croft rd on the corner of Patrick rd by any chance as I went to school with you if you are the same person.
Dave Edwards

Not me Dave.I did not live at that address, and when I was at Cockshut Hill the boys and girls school were seperate ! Margaret.

Sorry Margaret, I realised afterwards reading other posts that you lived up at Gilbertstone area, it was obviously another person.
When I was at Cockshut hill the boys and were seperate, that was from 1944- 1948 I did not know that they ever joined the two together.Many of my school friends came from your area down to Church rd school.
Dave

Well, its a small world. I wen to Cockshut hill School and left in the fifth form in 1982 and went on to bournville College of Art. My brother went tot he school back in 1959 and my sister @ 1961...bit vague on dtaes. They both Attended when it was a seprate girls and boys school. My brother died in the summer when he was 18, just before he started Garretts Green Technical College.
My brothers name was Keith Letts, sister is Susan Letts and in Fiona.

I went to Cockshut Hill for my infants and my first two years of juniors, probably 1954 to 1957. It then became just a Senior school and I had to transfer to Blakenhale.
Does anyone remember Frank the strange man that used to stare through the railings and we would all run away from.

Hi sheldon Tony, I wonder if you are talking about a Frank who was a strange person who ,if i remember, never went to school and just walked the streets. As I also went to the the same school but in 1944-48, I lived in Patrick road and Frank lived in Manorhouse lane a few doors up from Barrows lane on the left. He would be seen around the area many times, I think he used to shout out at people but they took no notice.
Dave

Yes, thats the man. In those days we didnt really worry about people like him, lots of people had problems from the war. Not the same now.
I am not sure if we spoke before Eddie, but at one time I lived in Patrick Rd, lovely houses and road then, 1975 until 1993.

Yes we have spoken before about the houses that were bombed opposite where you lived in Patrick Road, Frank ,If I am right, had ginger hair.
Dave

I remember now. Next time in in the UK I am planning to visit Patrick rod, look for the bomb damage. I lived there all those years and never knew. Not sure what colour his hair was

i also went to cockshut hill from 76 t0 81. when in the 3rd year our class teacher was monty ( mr golby).

hi i went to cockshuthill 1969- 74 and it was me who named him monty as monty python was popular and he was the spit of john cleese, he was a sound bloke, it used to tickle me when he would shout at someone but acualy look the other way but point at you, happy days.

I remember most of the 'teachers' you mentioned.......Moss. Kerswell. Humpreys (later replaced by Herbert) they do 'ring a bell' Dave, but not for any fond memories....teaching by the cane and stick was not an education...in fact I learned more in my first 12 months in the army than all of the 4 years in that 'Prison on the Hill'

Jamie 24

Jamie 24, I see now why you have only just responded on this thread, Welcome. I never knew Cockshut hill was called "The prison on the hill" while I was there. I supposed it is all fenced in now but during the war metal was short and all railings were being taken down for the war effort. What years were you there?.

Dave

Copy of 076.jpg Does anybody out there recognize any of these lads from 1947-8 Starting from the left obviously and forgive me if I cannot remember all the names, I know some have passed on but see if we can put some light on this photo.
From the left,Mr Ayto(cig in hand) Alan Wild, Derick Davis, Donald Moseley, Robert Newton,, David Webb Barry Rigby, Gordon Kent, Walter Beech, Dennis Goldingay, Harold Vickers, Harold Mason, John Burton, Leslie Bunce, Myself, Jimmy Bray, Bobby Janes, Joey Hale, Jimmy Hollick, Donald Vickridge, Mr Birch (!/2 his face), Norman Prossor and Mr Gregory.

Dave

Last edited:
I forgot to say, it was a trip to the Daimler works at Coventry, this was one of the many trips we as a class did in the last year at school.

Dave

I went to Cockshut from 73 to 82. I remember Mr Daniels (maths). Both Jones' who taught science. Mr Jolley was Headmaster. Mr Reeves taught gym/sport (to the boys).

In my class/year were:

Dawn Ruston
Christine Peckover
Gail Cash
Lorraine Horwich
Sandra Bell
Carol Sulway
Helen Griffiths
Perry Cough
Glen Owen
Erica Sabin
Hilary Smith