• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Porchester arms...

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
porchester arms..corner of clifford st/porchester st aston...dated 1959

topsy in this first on there is an opening just down from the pub by the lampost...i would say thats the entrance to furnace lane..

Newtown_1_46_The_Porchester_Arms_Porchester_Street_Ansells_29-10-1959.jpg

#1 yes lyn i think you are right about furnace lane. In the 50s when i was took to the matinee at The Orient with my brother and sister they always took short cuts coming back to Paddington St and i was scared stiff of going down there as i was petrified of dogs and as i remember there were plenty about.

thanks stars...topsy yes you are right about there being lots of roaming dogs in those days...ive just looked at my map and its deffinately the entrance to furnace lane..even the name sounds spooky to me...

no it was alma street i was born in porchester street, and the gully at the back of the pub was alma gully leading to alma street school. many a time we went down there with the go carts, we were the last house to be standing when they knocked them all down

thank you lyn, i dont suppose you know know any one from porchester street, i had a great up bringing there number 83. my dad was always in the porchester arms. and did we have fun the kids today do not know they are born

Last edited:
no it was alma street i was born in porchester street, and the gully at the back of the pub was alma gully leading to alma street school. many a time we went down there with the go carts, we were the last house to be standing when they knocked them all down
I think that Lyn is right about the gully by the lamp post, Alma St is further down past William St...

Dave A

thank you lyn, i dont suppose you know know any one from porchester street, i had a great up bringing there number 33. my dad was always in the porchester arms. and did we have fun the kids today do not know they are born

Hi Marie, I lived in Paddington St and my cousins lived on Porchester St close to Paddington St, they were the Hudson family. Also on Porchester were the Knights and the Pettits, Gaunts and some I cant remember.

Dave A

hi marie and welcome to the forum...like dave i also lived in paddington st.. actually i was born in our nans back to back...if you go to the neighbours and streets section of the forum i have started a thread for porchester st and posted a couple of photos...i may have one or two more but they will be on my desk top upstairs so later on i will have a look...:)

all the best

lyn

Hi dave,cant remember, i can remember the fishers, doodies, lordons, hadley sandra lane, venessa Delaney, picketts, morrises. homers, barretts lived at the back of us. we were at 33 what number did the hudsons live at and can you give me some first names .

marie

hi marie and welcome to the forum...like dave i also lived in paddington st.. actually i was born in our nans back to back...if you go to the neighbours and streets section of the forum i have started a thread for porchester st and posted a couple of photos...i may have one or two more but they will be on my desk top upstairs so later on i will have a look...:)

all the best

lyn

Back