• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

brearley street newtown.

looks like the provvy lady lol...but if memory serves me right this lady is something to do with the birmingham settlement..no 42 brearley st..

brearleystno42.jpg

Stars #153 I would say they were playing L.O.N.D.O.N.--- London the girl on the pavement shouts out the word,spins round quickly to try and catch anyone moving before they reach her.Dek

Hi Dek
Now come on Dek, us boys did'nt play LONDON. unles you were the one in the photo lol

Stars

coronation day celebrations outside the rose and crown corner of brearley st and hospital street..
ive been waiting for ages in the hope someone may recognise anyone in this picture..

celebratingqueencorroseandcrownbrearelyst.jpg

Hi Dek
Now come on Dek, us boys did'nt play LONDON. unles you were the one in the photo lol

Stars
O.K. Stars you,ve got me bang to rights but I had just lost all me marlies in the gutter,anyway there,s no harm playing with the girls as I,m sure you found out latter on in life.lol. Dek

Hi regan,yes i remember Havergal House in the late 50s early 60s.They did a great job of getting us kids off the streets.
I think the building is still there and something to do with The Scouts.moss

Attachments

• Brearley St.Hockley.Havergal House.bottom of Brearley St.jpg
    Brearley St.Hockley.Havergal House.bottom of Brearley St.jpg
    659.8 KB · Views: 53
hello moss

do you remember any boys or girls that went to the youth club .it was on a night time cant remember witch night.

Hello regan.I only went to Cubs night there on a couple of occasions.
The clubs i used were The Prince of Wales youth club in Hospital St and Forwart boys club in New Summer St.moss

Hello lovely people, It must be my lucky day ! I have just found the pictures of Brearley St. I went to St. Chads School in Brearley St.
from approx. 1935 to 1940 when we were bombed out and lost our home.
My Nan had a drapers shop on Newtown Row. and I used to go there for dinner.
Strange reaction though, not sure if I am happy or sad at seeing " what used to be "
Betty.

Thank you Lyn, It was such an awful and frightening time of my life so I have always put it to the back of my mind.
P`raps it is time to take it out and have a look ?
Betty

Thank you Lyn, It was such an awful and frightening time of my life so I have always put it to the back of my mind.
P`raps it is time to take it out and have a look ?
Betty

yes betty although i did not have to live through the war years i have read enough and heard enough from folk including my own parents to know it must have been so awful for everyone...but you got through it and are here to tell the tale...look forward to seeing more posts off you

lyn

hello mossg, I see you were a member of the Prince of Wales youth club. My friend (Philip Lloyd) and myself(Dave Patchett) were members there for some time, we played Table tennis mostly and were members of the P o W team. Some of the names I can remember are Frank & Bobby Copper, Ronnie Frazer(drove us mad practicing the piano),Brian Byfield, Len Hale(the main man) and his son John and Jimmy Wright and his wife who lived next door and were caretakers. Maybe you can remember a few more. Dave.

Hi Dave,I do remember Ronnie Frazer,the rest of my mates who went there were with me at Summer Lane school.I also went to The Forwart boys club in New Summer St.moss

Hello mossg, Phil and myself were also at Summer Lane School, we started in 1950 and had 4 wonderful years there. We were at St Georges C of E prior to that. Dave.

Hi Dave,I also went to St Georges before Summer Lane,I started Summer Lane a couple of years after you left.moss

hopefully 2 new pics for brearley st...
also showing summer lane school

Last edited:
If thats Summer Lane School in the background, did it get knocked down to build the new St Chads school? looks like its in the same sort of location.

If thats Summer Lane School in the background, did it get knocked down to build the new St Chads school? looks like its in the same sort of location.

hi dwilly and yes st chads school is built where summer lane school stood

lyn

Nice photo Lyn, I've had a fiddle with it to sharpen it for you. Imposing building. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    128.6 KB · Views: 62
ahh thats better thanks viv i shall save that one...yes a very imposing building..must admit i can not remember seeing it myself although i was living round the corner from it in the early 70s in uxbridge st...not sure when it was demolished..maybe someone on here will know that..

lyn

Back