• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Wendy, is there any chance that you could enlarge that so that we can see the names, I want to see if my great uncle is there, Benjamin Guest

Matahari
Perhaps you could add which post you are refering to, as it is not in one from the immediate past week

Hi Matahari this is an enlargement of the article in post 142 originally by zuluwarrier, I think this may be what you are referring to, s.jpg unfortunately it doesn't mention B Guest. Michael.

I wonder if someone can help me. The picture below shows my Great Grandfather Cecil Edwin Aldridge who lived in Birmingham (bottom right of picture with moustache) and what I believe to be his medal index card (The only Cecil E Aldridge on the medal roll) So his cap badge clearly shows as Royal Warwickshire Regiment. But the MIC gives his regiment as Kings Royal Rifle Corps. Could he have trained with the RWR and been deployed with a different regiment KRRC. Or could he have been wounded and sent to another unit. Can anyone shed any light on why this would be?
12115887_10156189048240038_1976917460241489836_n.jpg 30850_A000016-00740.jpg

Last edited:
in the 1918 absent voters book there is a Cecil Aldridge A1298 serving in the 20th Bn KRRC with the address 2 back 25 Bristol Street. The photo above looks like a pre-war Territorial Camp so he may have decided to join another regiment during the war. I found no Cecil Edward Aldridge serving in the Royal Warwickshire.
Terry

in the 1918 absent voters book there is a Cecil Aldridge A1298 serving in the 20th Bn KRRC with the address 2 back 25 Bristol Street. The photo above looks like a pre-war Territorial Camp so he may have decided to join another regiment during the war. I found no Cecil Edward Aldridge serving in the Royal Warwickshire.
Terry
Hello Terry, Thanks so much for the information. I will see if I can find out more about him.

I do know that occasionally men who enlisted in one regiment, could be transfered to other units as casualties increased, but as stated he could have served in a TA regiment, prior to the war, and then joined another unit. Paul

Terry

My compliments Terry and I agree, the rifle in the photo is the Boer War P14 and has a leather sling. (Cecil, I notice, was a Pioneer then).

The scramble to join up in 1914-15 is well documented, with volunteers being put in regiments where they were needed. My Brummie Great Uncle finished up and died in the DCLI.

Thanks everyone. I know very little about him. Just that he had served and been wounded. All I have is the photograph.
I know more about my Great Grandad on my Dad's side. He served in the Lancashire Fusiliers and was captured as a POW. I have many letters and documents relating to his service and a piece of German black bread that he was given as a POW.

My grandfather William j Barr had his horse taken for the war, as did many more people..but he was lucky as his horse was returned after the war ended...does anyone know if their were any records kept on these horses ...l know thousands were killed alone with the soldiers....and i'm sure there are some records but where....Brenda

Hi Brenda not sure of the answer but there must have been records requisitioning horses, and if they survived the War, records showing who they were returned to. Hope someone knows as I'd be interested to find out. Viv.

Thank you for your interest..hopefully some one will come up with an answer ..in between l will start digging as l am sure one has to try the right thread ..Brenda

Anyone have any photos or info of my Great Uncle please.
Pte. Emanuel Spiers 4314 2/5th Batt.
Killed in Action 8 Aug. 1916. He is buried at Pont-Du-Hem Military Cemetery, La Gorgue and was awarded the DCM according to his dedication on the war graves website although I can find no ref. to this elsewhere.
Any information or photos would be appreciated

I have never been able to find any records at Kew for my grandfather who served in the Waŕwicks during WW1. UnfortunatelyI cannot find his regimental number. He was John Davis, and he lived in Greys Road, Harborne and there were a lot of John Davis in the RWR. His wife was called Elsie. Any suggestions?
Bob

I have just looked online but there is no Absent Voters register for Harborne for 1920 - this might be available at Birmingham library - if he is on that it should list his regimental number. Unfortunately the chance of finding a WW1 record is slim as most were destroyed in WW2.

After another search I found the 1918 records but cannot find him at 7 Gray's Road - another soldier is listed at that address.

Last edited:
After another search I found the 1918 record but cannot find him. How old would he have been in WW1?
He was born 31/08/1884 and if it is any help his wife was called Elsie and he had three children when he went into the Army - Frank b 1910, Frederick G b.1911 and Lillian b.1914.
Thanks
Bob

Sorry we posted at the same time as I amended my previous post. Are you sure he was at Gray's Road in 1918?

Back