• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Skinner Lane

robert

master brummie
Does any one know where this street was please.
Skinner Lane.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Mother was raised in Skinner Lane in the old Courtyards. I remember being taken there as a schoolboy by a friend who lived there John Burke who went to St. catherines if you're there Hi! Anyway, that's now all gone but I would like to see some photos of the area if any are available. Perhaps you lived there? Did you know the Harris's (formerly Dembovski)..
Rory

Hi Rory

I am researching my family who I believe may have lived in Skinner Lane, George and Kate Harris, are these any relation to the people that you are looking for?

Luke

Hi Rory

I am researching my family who I believe may have lived in Skinner Lane, George and Kate Harris, are these any relation to the people that you are looking for?

Luke

hello luke and welcome to the forum..just noticed that rory has not logged on since he made that post in aug 2011 but could you tell me where skinner lane was..i have never heard of it...

lyn

No afraid not Luke. It was Kitty and morris Harris. It seems my grandfather had to change his name from dembovski, seems attitudes were a little more severe than today when it came to foreigners. He was jewish, he married a gentile and was subsequently banished / disowned.

Lyn, Skinner lane was off hurst street. Apparently some houses have been preserved by the hippodrome. These were very dark literally and quite imposing for a child to view from the outside in the early 60's.

Lyn

Skinner Lane & Skinner Street were between Bromsgrove St and Sherlock St, Skinner Lane ran from Hurst St to Dean St and Skinner Rd ran off it (see map).

Attachments

• City Centre New St Station.JPG
    City Centre New St Station.JPG
    140.3 KB · Views: 145
  • City Skinner Street 1968[1] (2).jpg
    City Skinner Street 1968[1] (2).jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 169
Hi Phil,

I am trying to work out where your photo of Skinner St was taken. The view of the Rotunda makes me think it was at the junction with Bromsgrove St, except the road at the end looks at the wrong angle to be Dean St.

Any thoughts?

Paul

thanks rory..phil and dave...although still there it looks like the skinner lane houses have all gone now....great pic phil...

lyn

• Appreciate
Reactions: Wuf
Hi Phil,

I am trying to work out where your photo of Skinner St was taken. The view of the Rotunda makes me think it was at the junction with Bromsgrove St, except the road at the end looks at the wrong angle to be Dean St.

Any thoughts?

Paul

Paul,

In my opinion the photo was taken in Skinner Lane looking up Skinner St toward Bromsgrove St, if you look at the Rotunda you can just see under it the roof of the what would have been quite new then the Silver Blades Ice Rink & Bowling Alley on the corner of Bromsgrove St & Pershore St.

Hi Lyn, looks as though these guys have already answered your question, very interesting to see a photo of Skinner Lane. Rory, it's a shame that we are looking for different people as that would have made things easier!

Luke

hi luke i am at the library tomorrow so will see if they have any pics of skinner lane..

lyn

many thanks jill thats the closest we have come to a photo of skinner lane..is it running across in background or is it running alongside the houses on the right...

thanks again for posting it

lyn

many thanks jill thats the closest we have come to a photo of skinner lane..is it running across in background or is it running alongside the houses on the right...

thanks again for posting it

lyn
You can just see Hurst Street over the lad's shoulder. The lad in the front lived in the shop you can see. I have another photo which shows Skinner Lane but has me and a friend up a lamp post so more us and less Skinner Lane but I will post it anyway.

You can just see Hurst Street over the lad's shoulder. The lad in the front lived in the shop you can see. I have another photo which shows Skinner Lane but has me and a friend up a lamp post so more us and less Skinner Lane but I will post it anyway.
Sorry have just looked at it again and there is almost nothing of Skinner Lane showing. Skinner Lane is running alongside the houses on the right.

thats ok jill its better than nothing at all

thanks again and look forward to seeing any other photos you may have

lyn

View attachment 104836

Skinner Lane in background.
This is a photo of my brother Raymond Foulkes Jill, the shop is where we lived on 50 Skinner Lane, the courtyards were up the sides of where the shop was and opposite was (on the right) where the cars are is the start of Skinner Street. We had a Mrs Harris live up the courtyard in 1950's, a lovely lady. Hope this helps anyone the road at the back of my brother is not Skinner Lane or Street, Bromsgrove St runs across the back of him and he is looking down Skinner Lane to Dean St.

Last edited:
hi shelljoy and thank you for confirming that your brother is standing in skinner lane...

lyn

hi shelljoy and thank you for confirming that your brother is standing in skinner lane...

lyn
Your welcome, if I find any more photos of help I will add onto here, it was just strange to see a photo I had taken put on here but I do know my sister left a copy at the Hurst Street properties that were done up

yes i bet that was strange seeing that photo shelljoy its a cracker though...yes please if you do find anymore of skinner lane or surrounding streets would appreciate seeing them..

all the best

lyn

My grandma and aunties and uncles lived, respectively at 17 and 18 Skinner Street. At 17 lived Alfred and Lavinia Harris and at 18, Arthur and Alice Gillman and my grandma. 17 was the last back to back and 18 let out onto the courtyard that adjacently joined Skinner Lane and Skinner Street. I'm sure that the Mrs Harris in Skinner Lane referred to earlier in this thread was the mother of my uncle Alfred.
I well remember the shop at 50 Skinner Lane in the 50s/60s run by the Foulkes family. I used to visit my aunties on Sunday afternoons and they sent me to the shop for copious amounts of ice cream. Happy days!

Hi Clive, I am Sheila Foulkes, the daughter of the shop owners at 50 Skinner Lane. I remember Mrs. Harris very fondly, a lovely lady and the other families in Skinner Street. They were very happy days there, with great neighbours and friends. It was lovely to hear someone remember the shop and my family.

Hi Sheila. I can remember your dad behind the shop counter as if it were yesterday. That's a great photo of Raymond which I'm sure you treasure. Neighbours looked out for each other in those days and Skinner Street was always very clean from my memory. Not much litter in those days.
My brother, sister and myself spent years visiting and playing in the courtyard opposite the shop. Alf and Vinnie Harris finally left for Kings Norton in 1966 when they knocked the houses down.

Hi Sheila. I can remember your dad behind the shop counter as if it were yesterday. That's a great photo of Raymond which I'm sure you treasure. Neighbours looked out for each other in those days and Skinner Street was always very clean from my memory. Not much litter in those days.
My brother, sister and myself spent years visiting and playing in the courtyard opposite the shop. Alf and Vinnie Harris finally left for Kings Norton in 1966 when they knocked the houses down.
Hi Clive, Neighbours certainly did look out for each other then and they all kept the streets clean and tidy. We also moved out in 1966 so they could knock them all down and re build the Wholesale Markets. The Wholesale Markets have now moved again and been knocked down. Sometimes I don't think these changes are for the better, the history is lost of Birmingham now. It's been years now since I went into Brum, my daughter keeps saying when all this pandemic is over we shall go and have a walk round there. I bet I wont recognise the place now.

Hi, I’m researching my family tree. If anyone remembers the Varley family or Chambers from skinner lane/street, I’d love to hear from you. I believe they lived there until late 1940’s. My grandmother was raised in a back to back, her name was Annie Varley, she had brothers Jack and John and sisters marg and Minnie. Their mother was Gertrude and she had a glass eye so would if used the glass eye maker on adjacent street.

Back