• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childhood Memories

One for the girls and one for the boys out there. Although I also liked Meccano. Viv.

image.jpeg image.jpeg

Last edited:
Re: Cadbury's Bournville

Smudger;56470 Paul said:
I had no idea Radio Luxenburg was so old, started in the 1920s. I too only remember the music programmes. Here's a sample of the programmes from the 1950s (from Wikipedia). Viv.

image.jpeg

Dick Barton, Special Agent, with his associates , Snowy & Jock. Light Programme 6.45pm till 7.00. The same time as the original Archers programmed, which, I think, took over from Dick Barton. In the children's programme it was Uncle Mac.

Back on track.

Radio Luxembourg was established in order to advertise products. No such thing on the old BBC. The top weekly programme was the Sunday evening Top Twenty presented by ex. bandleader Jack Jackson, later by Pete Murray. I seem to think it was some beauty product. I need help on that one. The product, not the treatment!

Eddie

Eddie i don`t know what you`re taking for your memory but it`s bl...y good stuff. I can`t help you with the beauty product ( didn`t need any :-} I do have a vague memory of a advert on r/lux for the foorball pools. Some guy called Horace ? claimed he had a system, & also Milton Keynes was mentioned a lot (don`t know why )

Quite right all of you, I am just too young to have listened to a "Crystal Set Radio", my mug I remember distinctly as red plastic with white night cap, I remember Dick and Snowy, Dan Dare, and yes Muffin, the flowerpot men and the wooden tops, and Andy Pandy. and the cotton tails, Muffin the mule, were all on early BBC TV, the one where the starting shots showed Alex palace radio mast with words going round it.We had a TV in 52/53, how I don't know because we were poor as church mice, all our neighbours about 12 people crowded into our small parlour to watch the "Coronation".Paul

I remember as a nipper, i was a really skinny kid & whenever i called for my mate, his mother would forcefeed me a dripping sarnie, saying i needed feeding up. I didn`t need feeding up as i could stuff myself till the cows come home & hardly put on an ounce, unlike today i`ve only got to look at 4 squares of choc & i can feel my waistline bulging. Still enjoy a dripping sarnie today. As kids we would get on our bikes & ride to Walmley or Shenstone & we would often knock on someones door & ask for a drink of water, & quite often we would be invited in & have lemonade & a slice of cake. Folk seemed so much nicer back then.

Quite right all of you, I am just too young to have listened to a "Crystal Set Radio", my mug I remember distinctly as red plastic with white night cap, I remember Dick and Snowy, Dan Dare, and yes Muffin, the flowerpot men and the wooden tops, and Andy Pandy. and the cotton tails, Muffin the mule, were all on early BBC TV, the one where the starting shots showed Alex palace radio mast with words going round it.We had a TV in 52/53, how I don't know because we were poor as church mice, all our neighbours about 12 people crowded into our small parlour to watch the "Coronation".Paul

We never had a tv, but i do vaguely remember a crystal set & a wind up gramaphone which is probably where i got my love of classical music, "The dream of Olwen, Bolero, 1812th, & Holst`s Planets. & then around `56, along came a guy called Elvis & wow i was hooked. I took some Elvis records to my school leaving party & i remember my teacher saying " oh my lord, that`s horrible music" Not to us teens it wasn`t.

I remember as a nipper, i was a really skinny kid & whenever i called for my mate, his mother would forcefeed me a dripping sarnie, saying i needed feeding up. I didn`t need feeding up as i could stuff myself till the cows come home & hardly put on an ounce, unlike today i`ve only got to look at 4 squares of choc & i can feel my waistline bulging. Still enjoy a dripping sarnie today. As kids we would get on our bikes & ride to Walmley or Shenstone & we would often knock on someones door & ask for a drink of water, & quite often we would be invited in & have lemonade & a slice of cake. Folk seemed so much nicer back then.

Hi Smudger,

Or was it that the youngsters, yourself included, were better behaved and people were not frightened of you?

Old Boy

Eddie i don`t know what you`re taking for your memory but it`s bl...y good stuff. I can`t help you with the beauty product ( didn`t need any :-} I do have a vague memory of a advert on r/lux for the foorball pools. Some guy called Horace ? claimed he had a system, & also Milton Keynes was mentioned a lot (don`t know why )

It was Horace Bachelor and his famous "Infra Draw Method" and I believe it was in Keynsham Bristol. How about that for memory?

Dave A

I can remember just 4 stations on our old 'wireless' (1) light programme (2) home service (3) third programme and (4) radio Luxemburg, if you had a 'wave change' switch you could also pick up a few foreign stations amongst the screeching and whistling. Needless to say nobody listened to the highbrow third programme in our house, Luxemburg and the Light were our favourites . I had the weekly (?) task of going to the local electrical shop to pick up a fully charged battery (what would Health and Safety say to that?) until we bought an 'electric' radio. One of the old programmes I loved was the Billy Cotton Band Show (Wakey Wakey) with his sig tune 'Some one stole my gal' I do not remember if that was radio or early TV. Happy days. Eric

It was Horace Bachelor and his famous "Infra Draw Method" and I believe it was in Keynsham Bristol. How about that for memory?

Dave A

Pretty good, though thinking about it now it was probably a scam. If his method of predicting footie results was any good he`d be living a life of Reilly in the carribean.

Pretty good, though thinking about it now it was probably a scam. If his method of predicting footie results was any good he`d be living a life of Reilly in the carribean.

Yes indeed! I remember thinking at the time, Why would anyone sell info on how to win the pools? I was only interested in listening to the music...

This is a fascinating topic as we all share many common memories.

Dave A

Dave A

Not totally Dave: you forgot to tell us how to spell K E Y N S H A M.
s087.gif

Billy Cotton had a radio programme on BBC Light Programme - Sunday am, I think and later one on Saturday evening BBC1 B/w tv.

Those were the days when tv, on Saturday evenings was worth watching more so than what is on offer now!

Not really a scam. If he sold millions of lines each week, then law of averages states that someone would win something, from which he then took his cut. He would always boast that he had winners every week. It may be true, even if they only won a few bob. He must have made a good living out of it. Even in those days, everything being relevant, his radio adverts were not cheap.

When the top win was £75,000, did you know that the only man to win that twice was the bandleader/drummer Ray Ellington?

Eddie

Eddie, you`ll get into trouble nicking the lovely Les Dawsons jokes.

I know Smudger, but someone has to remember the good old jokes. Les was wonderful.

Like, where we lived they knocked down the houses and built slums, or, until I was nine, I thought a knife and fork was jewellery.

Eddie

Not really a scam. If he sold millions of lines each week, then law of averages states that someone would win something, from which he then took his cut. He would always boast that he had winners every week. It may be true, even if they only won a few bob. He must have made a good living out of it. Even in those days, everything being relevant, his radio adverts were not cheap.

When the top win was £75,000, did you know that the only man to win that twice was the bandleader/drummer Ray Ellington?

Eddie

Many moons back, i checked my Littlewoods footie coupon & i had 8 draws, but sadly that week there was a boat load of draws & i won just over a £1000. Still, better than a slap in the face with a wet kipper. Eddie, was Ray Ellington any relation of Duke Ellington?

Back