• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Childhood Memories

sistersue61

master brummie
Very seasonal but you couldn't throw a snowball at school today, yet I remember great snowball fights at school - it joins the no conkers too!
Sue

Have they really stopped Snowball fights? But you can play conkers it was just a few schools that banned it blaming HSA Rules which they debunked and featured on their website as proof of misuse of HSA rules. Re: Conkers https://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/september.htm

Bernie, I think you are right it's at heads discretion, but certainly last winter my sons mate got excluded for a day for throwing a snowball in the playground that hit another pupil on the back, not hurting her, but reported by another parent!!! Things are just so stupid sometimes, kids aren't allowed to be kids! That's my soapbox for today over!!!
Sue

If there is something to climb,little boy's will climb it,if there is something to throw little boy's will throw it.There will be a few lumps and bumps:(along the way but it's all part of learning.:)

Me and my best mate(we were both total scallys) made fire cans every year, cant put a time to it, but I suppose it must have been winter-time. The main object was whose can glowed the hottest! We both started collecting 1d bangers as soon as they were available, the twopenny 'thunderflashes' were really strong, they wouldn't be allowed now. Maybe I'm wrong and will stand corrected, but there didn't seem to be that many cases of mindless vandalism, but then again ,the punishments were much harsher.

My earliest memories of 70 years ago are of my Grandma Goode taking me to see the "dickie birds" in an aviary which was in the garden of a house on the corner of Manor House Lane and Sunnymead Rd ,South Yardley. She also used to sing a song ,of which I only can remember the first two lines.They were "all the dick dicks on the water,all the dick dicks on the sea....Idont know if she made it up,but if anyone knows this song I would love to know the rest of it. Margaret.

No one took any notice of the possible dangers way back when,i am glad to say.We did this sort of thing on a daily basis and i remember no more than a few scratches and bruises.Moss

Attachments

• Hitch hikers..jpg
    Hitch hikers..jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 45
I'm afraid not everyone escaped with just scratches and bruises, when I was in Junior School at Burlington Street a boy was killed hanging on the back of the lorry delivering milk to the school, there were several boys with him but unfortunately he slipped under the wheels.

Re: Cadbury's Bournville

We had these mugs for our nightcap of Bournvita in the 1950s. There was nothing like sitting in front a glowing coal fire with a mug of Bournvita. Adored the stuff. I thought our mugs had a man-in-the-moon on them but it must have been these. Viv.

View attachment 104270

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    12.6 KB · Views: 13

We had these mugs for our nightcap of Bournvita in the 1950s. There was nothing like sitting in front a glowing coal fire with a mug of Bournvita. Adored the stuff. I thought our mugs had a man-in-the-moon on them but it must have been these. Viv.

View attachment 104270

I hope you were also listening to the Ovaltinies on Radio Luxembourg whilst sipping the drink.

I hope you were also listening to the Ovaltinies on Radio Luxembourg whilst sipping the drink.

We are the Ovaltinies little girls & boys...........Radio Luxembourg, probably the only decent radio programme we had. We had so little, so it didn`t take much to make us feel warm & happy. Today we have so much yet are we as happy as bck then?

Off Piste again,!! come on Smudge, we "listen with Mother", "Uncle ? children's hour", Muffin the mule, The wooden tops, Dick Barton, Ect .Paul

Off Piste again,!! come on Smudge, we "listen with Mother", "Uncle ? children's hour", Muffin the mule, The wooden tops, Dick Barton, Ect .Paul

b1.jpgtoast cards.jpg

Paul, I guess my memory sucks because i only remember R/luxembourg for the music. I can`t remember the others you mention except for Special agent Dick barton (was he on r/lux ? And surely Muffin & the Woodentops were on tv?

View attachment 104274View attachment 104275

Paul, I guess my memory sucks because i only remember R/luxembourg for the music. I can`t remember the others you mention except for Special agent Dick Barton (was he on r/lux ? And surely Muffin & the Woodentops were on tv?

Dick Barton, Special Agent, with his associates , Snowy & Jock. Light Programme 6.45pm till 7.00. The same time as the original Archers programmed, which, I think, took over from Dick Barton. In the children's programme it was Uncle Mac.

Back on track.

Radio Luxembourg was established in order to advertise products. No such thing on the old BBC. The top weekly programme was the Sunday evening Top Twenty presented by ex. bandleader Jack Jackson, later by Pete Murray. I seem to think it was some beauty product. I need help on that one. The product, not the treatment!

Eddie

Back