• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

They Were Caught In Our Old Street Pics...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very strange Jim. This is what I see with Edge.
Edge1.jpg

Have a look at the original in post#482.
Or perhaps try a different browser such as IE or Chrome.

ps. if you click on the 3 dots top right corner of Edge you get the option to open the page in Internet Explorer.

Last edited:
Not my day! Both your links come up as invalid! Anyway went down the IE route and got to open your collection of pictures

An existing forum photo (the link to the post it is in) dated 1905 showing that a photographer had gathered some kids in Bagot Street and took their photo in front of houses in very poor condition. The Chemical Company next door did not seem too concerned about how they stored chemicals in their open yard, maybe they owned the houses. Probably none of the kids ever saw the photo they were in and 9 years later they had to live through the Great War.
img518-1.jpg

Last edited:
They were looking at the bomb damage in WW2 Erdington. All the women in the photo appear to be wearing fur coats and one of them has a rather nice pram with mudguards. Those on the right of the photo seem to have spotted something slightly worrying. (restored post)
Erdington_Bombing.jpg

Last edited:
The round badge on the conductors uniform is a badge with his PSV number on it. No driver or conductor was allowed to work without it. It was the means by which a passenger could identify a servant of the BCT.

Worcester Street had taken a battering the night before in 1940 with heavy bomb damage on shops on the right side of the street but that wasn't going to stop folks going up to New Street as they casually stepped over the debris and fire hoses. (restored post)
worcesterst_1940.jpg
shoothill

Last edited:
Nothing to do with BCT as the badge was issued by the Traffic Commissioner and was worn by all PSV drivers and conductors. Drivers badge was red and Conductors green. Most coach drivers wore their badge turned round in their buttonhole so just the brass clip was on view, my badge number was DD552768 having passed my test in 1966.

In Edgbaston Street 1940 more people stepping over debris from the previous night's bombing. A lady on the left is walking with a child close to the bombed buildings probably not thinking about debris falling from the damaged building. Firemen still damping down smouldering buildings. There are not many pics of Edgbaston Street on the forum. (restored post)
Edgbaston_Street.JPG
shoothill

Last edited:
I think that's part of human nature, trying to hang on to some sort of normality, keeps you going through difficult times.

Re. photo in post #1707.

And some 20 years later, people still milling around what looks like organised chaos! The photos of the bomb damaged street show clearly why re-development was necessary. Must have been easier to demolish and start again as well as people wanting a fresh start. Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
The Poineer Corps were drafted in to help clear the roads of the city during the WW2 bombing and here they are clearing up bomb debris in John Bright street. Looks like they managed to prevent the citizens of Brum walking in the street until it was clear.
JohnBrightSt.jpg

Last edited:
Ice cream sales going well in this c1898 pic of the Bull Ring and that lady walking on the left might have decided to buy one. Not many people looking in the shops that day.
index.php

Last edited:
Ice cream sales going well in this c1898 pic of the Bull Ring and that lady walking on the left is might have decided to buy one. Not many people looking in the shops that day.
attachment.php

I'm assuming this is a Sunday, with the awnings extended not for the benefit of sheltering shoppers, but to protect whatever stock inside from sun-fade over the weekend. Look at the assembled public-Sunday best maybe, having just left the main church in the BullRing?

I'm assuming this is a Sunday, with the awnings extended not for the benefit of sheltering shoppers, but to protect whatever stock inside from sun-fade over the weekend. Look at the assembled public-Sunday best maybe, having just left the main church in the BullRing?
That seems a reasonable description of the scene Richie. Probably nothing better than enjoying an ice cream after church.

A photographer wanted to take a photo of some reconditioned housing showing the entrance to 18 Court, Clarkson Street but a crowd of kids from the street stood in the way so he made them stand each side of the court entrance and took the photo. Two lads in the photo had no shoes. The street name was for some reason changed to Adams Street in 1905.
Clarkson_St.jpg
shoothill
(restored post)

Last edited:
It seems in the 1890s the Bull Ring was the place to buy an ice cream and those two lads are enjoying theirs. They could be 'Telegram Boys' .... remember them ?
BullRingIceCream.JPG

Last edited:
A photographer wanted to take a photo of some reconditioned housing showing the entrance to 18 Court, Clarkson Street but a crowd of kids from the street stood in the way so he made them stand each side of the court entrance and took the photo. Two lads in the photo had no shoes. The street name was for some reason changed to Adams Street in 1905.
View attachment 103112
(restored post)

The name of Clarkson Street doesn't appear in Bill Dargue's extensive posting on B'ham street names.

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?18409-History-of-Birmingham-Street-names/page2
although if anyone has the time the name might appear buried in the thread somewhere.

My own inspired guess is the name refers to the Slavery Abolition campaigner William Clarkson. I understand there are connections in that area to missionary causes. In which case the 100th anniversary of the Abolition was about to occur two years later (1907) which would have highlighted the contemporary slavery conditions in the locality.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back