• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Sheldon

This one is the shops at the Radleys, again 1950's in Brays Rd.

View attachment 99190
Just been reading about Johnny Prescott in a post in a Boxing thread. This picture I would think is more 1960's than 1950's. Johnny was still working at Wilmot Breeden until early 1960's and his betting shop days came during/after the boxing career. Any pictures of the M&B Cabin that was nearby? There was an orchard on the corner of the Radleys and Church Rd., good for scumping by us kids from the Garretts Green estate.

Here is a photo of the original Cabin taken in 1959 when they were building the replacement permanent building. Also a photo of a couple prefabs at the railway bridge end of The Radleys.

Attachments

• Sheldon Radleys - prefabs[1].jpg
    Sheldon Radleys - prefabs[1].jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 139
  • Cabin Sheldon Heath Road  The Radleys - 1959.[1].JPG
    Cabin Sheldon Heath Road The Radleys - 1959.[1].JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 148
That's The Cabin I remember. Was the building opposite the pre fabs something to do with Lucas. Used to look for grass snakes on the railway embankment.

Thanks Phil. The doorway you see in the photo 1 used to be an outdoor
where we would take the empty bottles back for a refund. Tuppence I think.
enough for 8 black jacks.
regards Stars

This is a photo of German prisoners of war, building a road in Sheldon, during WW2. They built many roads in Sheldon.
sheldon prisoners of war.jpg

Ann

Does anyone know where the POW camp was in Sheldon. I remember huts on the Oaklands, Church Rd Yardley but believe they were for refugees and displaced people.

I just read where someone remembers an Italian POW camp on Walkers Heath Rd Kings Norton and there was a German POW camp half a mile away from that. Also that Sutton Park was used for an Italian POW camp. So far nothing about Sheldon.

Hi Phil,

I think Maxstoke would have been much closer than Kings Norton.

The quickest route would have been down Coventry Road, past Stonebridge and Packington Hall,
and take the next turn left to Maxstoke. Bearing in mind that there would not been much traffic
in those days I would have thought that the journey would not have been much more than 20 minutes.

Kind regards

Dave

My mother remembers POWs repairing bomb damage in Sladepool Farm Rd, (Maypole), she always said they were Italians.
A camp in Kings Norton would make sense as POWs built the big prefab estate in Druids Lane.

Hi everyone, I was intrigued to hear of the Elms Farm House as were buying a house in Chaffcombe road which is the last one before the gulley which leads to the shops at the Radleys. Would the house have been next door to the house were buying? The Newsagent is still there but now boarded up. Any info would be very welcome. Karen

Hi Karen, The Elms was roughly where the shops are. The grounds may well have extended to where your house was built. Your house wasn't there at the same time as The Elms. The Elms was demolished to make way for the new housing development. Ann

Hi Karen. The Elms was at the rear of that block of shops. The entrance was the other
end to the paper shop between I think it was a chemist. I helped out as a kid at Jacksons
which was a fruit and veg shop. I used to go to Elms farm school. There was also a big old
house across the road from that paper shop where there are new houses built. It had big
old iron gates and apple trees in the front. An old tall man lived there.

regards Stars

My wife Maureen Broadhurst was born in berryfield Sheldon in 1940 and remembers Italian prisoners of war working in the area a plane crash at the airport and her play mates were the Riley's, the bounes and norma tarrant. Maureen lived at 67 and went to silvermere and mapledean school her aunty named woods lived in parkdale road. Is there anybody out there who remembers her or the area?

Back