• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Old Contemptibles

Terry

I didn't know that, interesting fact and a great thing to do to honour the soldiers. It is a popular place, I go there a few time a year, steeped in history.

Steve R

My grandfather, Joseph Ashford should be on the list. He was with the 2nd Worcestershires and has the 1914 Star. He was from Aston.

Lilla

Hi Lilla,

Pte. 8465 Joseph Ashford is on my list. Can you give me any details regarding your Grandfather (birth date, when and who he married etc.) and if you have a photo of him in uniform. I do't have a great deal of information on him other than his MIC which gives the date 19th September 1914 when he went to France. He was entitled to the 1914 Star and British War and Victory Medals. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Peter

Hi Lilla,

Pte. 8465 Joseph Ashford is on my list. Can you give me any details regarding your Grandfather (birth date, when and who he married etc.) and if you have a photo of him in uniform. I do't have a great deal of information on him other than his MIC which gives the date 19th September 1914 when he went to France. He was entitled to the 1914 Star and British War and Victory Medals. Any info would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Peter

Hello Peter

I have the National Archive download of Joseph's medals, and as you say, he has the 1914 Star, War and Victory Medals.

Joseph was part of the BEF, although I have no idea what year he joined the army. He was a signalman.

I am not exactly sure of his date of birth. I think it was 28 March either 1885 or 1887. He married Lilla King.

At some point during the war he was wounded (shot in the foot) and was sent back to the UK. Nobody seems to know a date for this but of course he was sent back to the front. In May 1918 Joseph was captured at Pont Avers and eventually ended up in Dulmen camp in Westphalia. He had to work down the coal mines. He made it back home to Birmingham about a year after the war ended - everyone thought he was dead and he just turned up in Ladywood one day!

Joseph and Lilla went on to have 8 children, but when Joseph was missing his wife bought a coal merchants- L Ashford and Sons, based at the wharf in Icknield Port Road.

Sorry but the only photo I have of grandad is at a wedding I the fifties. I think my uncles all have the other photos.
Hope this is useful but if you discover anything else I would be grateful to know,

Lilla

Hi Lilla,

Many thanks for the information and I will be in touch should I find any more details regarding your Grandfather Joseph.

Regards

Peter

Just done a little more searching and your Grandfathers year of birth is 1887. Check the following for details of his PoW record (Red Cross).
https://grandeguerre.icrc.org/

Just type in his surname and scroll down to his records.

Again many thanks

Peter

My grandfather, Joseph Ashford should be on the list. He was with the 2nd Worcestershires and has the 1914 Star. He was from Aston.

Lilla
Hi I don't know if you'll get this but I'm married to Dave Ashford his dad was Frank Ashford you both share the same granddad. We're doing the family tree at the moment so if you need any information or just want to talk please get in touch. Thanks lovely.

Back