• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Windows 10

Mine installed within 1 hour, the only bugbear at the moment is my hotmail account which is not always upto date and I have to keep 'synching' it to get my emails. My grandson not so lucky his computer has completely collapsed.

Using a Microsoft link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 using the 'Media Creation' tool which allows 'clean install' or 'retain existing files install' I upgraded the following ...

My Toshiba Satellite laptop from W8 to Win10 been running it 2 weeks.

An old Compaq laptop (with damaged screen ) W7 to W10 very smooth upgrade running well.

My granddaughter's Asus Laptop with a touch screen W8 to W10 so far so good.

My oldish W7 desktop to W10 and then an immediate downgrade back to W7.
The display adapter driver in it was unknown to W10 which inserted a generic driver and I got the dreaded flashing screen.
It was not easy to do the downgrade with a flashing screen.

If interested in the tech details....

I would have to jump through some complicated hoops to fix my desktop for W10 see Microsoft info here.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...y/3f0e7638-f24f-40de-a4b6-6a80aa814b42?auth=1

Some folks have had some very bad experiences with computers made unusable, read the later posts in a thread in Pcadvisor.
https://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/windows-29/flashing-screen-after-windows-10-upgrade-4538547/

Some Googling will show that Microsoft have acknowledged a 'flashing screen' issue for some people using W10 and suggested a 'fix'.

I can run W7 and W10 side by side and I find there is nothing significant that W10 can do which W7 cannot do.
So my desktop computer will stay with W7.

Mine installed within 1 hour, the only bugbear at the moment is my hotmail account which is not always upto date get my emails.

I had this problem, I switched to the "Outlook" version of Hotmail which I find much easier to use and this seems to "keep up"

Using a Microsoft link https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 using the 'Media Creation' tool which allows 'clean install' or 'retain existing files install' I upgraded the following ...

My Toshiba Satellite laptop from W8 to Win10 been running it 2 weeks.

An old Compaq laptop (with damaged screen ) W7 to W10 very smooth upgrade running well.

My granddaughter's Asus Laptop with a touch screen W8 to W10 so far so good.

My oldish W7 desktop to W10 and then an immediate downgrade back to W7.
The display adapter driver in it was unknown to W10 which inserted a generic driver and I got the dreaded flashing screen.
It was not easy to do the downgrade with a flashing screen.

If interested in the tech details....

I would have to jump through some complicated hoops to fix my desktop for W10 see Microsoft info here.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...y/3f0e7638-f24f-40de-a4b6-6a80aa814b42?auth=1

Some folks have had some very bad experiences with computers made unusable, read the later posts in a thread in Pcadvisor.
https://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forum/windows-29/flashing-screen-after-windows-10-upgrade-4538547/

Some Googling will show that Microsoft have acknowledged a 'flashing screen' issue for some people using W10 and suggested a 'fix'.

I can run W7 and W10 side by side and I find there is nothing significant that W10 can do which W7 cannot do.
So my desktop computer will stay with W7.
I used the link you quote at the beginning of your post where the media exe file is downloaded to the USB stick but still failed as my previous post. Been looking through the Windows forum and will try some of their solutions for a start, hopefully it should work.

Hi Nickcc - Try the link below which goes direct to the media creation tool. As far as I can remember, I didn't download anything I ran it direct with the choice I have marked with an arrow.
I chose to keep all my files and my laptop was a 64bit. I think it possibly checks the device you are going to upgrade.
https://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install?ocid=ms_wol_win10
I can't actually test it now because I have already upgraded this laptop I am using.
Mediatool.JPG

Thanks for that oldMohawk will give it a go tomorrow as I only ever use my iPad for browsing on Forums.
I also use an iPad for most of my internet browsing and posting .... a nice serene virus free world !
I was using my iPad when I read your post#244 and a test of the links almost started a download. Had to quickly switch to laptop.
We might have iOS9 to look forward to in the autumn ...

I also use an iPad for most of my internet browsing and posting .... a nice serene virus free world !
I was using my iPad when I read your post#244 and a test of the links almost started a download. Had to quickly switch to laptop.
We might have iOS9 to look forward to in the autumn ...
Suppose that'll mean removing loads of apps like iOS 8 as mines only a 3 with 16gb.

Apple will temporarily delete apps during the upgrade and then automatically reinstall them, so 16Gb should be ok.

I've run my Free Windows 10 Upgrade for a month now and all is well. Apart from its appearance it seems just like any other Windows I've ever used. I'm sure it is worth every penny we'll pay for it ....
smile-new.png

hi folks my sons friend has bought a new lappy its windows 8...is it possible to turn it from that to windows 7

lyn

Hi Lyn, The only way would be if he had a 'retail copy' of Windows 7 and reformatted the laptop. I would advise against it.
I think it is best to upgrade it to Windows 10 which I've been using for about 6 weeks now and you soon get used to it, in fact I don't really notice it is W10 when I'm using it.

The upgrade can be set to retain all existing files, images, and programs which are in the computer before upgrade.
The upgrade can be reversed if necessary but I can't see anyone wanting to go back to Windows 8 from Windows 10.

I did initially set it up my two laptops with a 'Local' account but have also added a 'Microsoft Account'.
I upgraded my 8 year old granddaughter's Win 8 Netbook and she uses Win 10 with no problems.

My very old desktop computer has W7 and cannot be upgraded because of graphic display problems but I notice Microsoft are still sending W10 updates to it as they have to most W7 computers. They have created a folder in most people's W7 computers and have put the W10 upgrade data there. You have probably got them in your laptop !

There is a lot of Windows 10 info on a website here https://www.tenforums.com/

I upgraded my (oldish) laptop to w10 back in August, and as it was supposed to, it kept all my files and original programs, however, it was running very slow and I had a few problems. I then found out that you could reset w10 as if you were starting from scratch, so I took the bull by the horns and reset it. I lost all my old programs and files, but I was'nt too bothered about that, as far as I was concerned I had a new laptop. Still a bit slow but that is down to the laptop spec, but it is a lot better than it was. Slowly I am adding the programs I want and not what the manufacturer thought I should have. I'm happy with it.

Hi Lyn - One thing I've learnt is we all have our computers set up slightly different and what I see on screen is probably not the same as on other members screens. I mostly use the Chrome browser and that migrated to Windows 10 with all it's bookmarks whereas with Internet Explorer I had to import the bookmarks or favourites.
Shown below is my Windows 10 Start menu with a couple of very old 'apps' from the earlier days of computing.
mystart1.jpg
Strangely, Microsoft's new Edge Browser shows as one of my 'Most used' apps, but I don't use it !

I don't use Edge. There is no provision - at present - for ad-ons particularly pop up and some ad blockers. IE11 still supports ad-ons so I use it purely for the news reports and anything connected with Microsoft.
My main browser is Opera - a European developed browser - I have used it for quite a while. It has pioneered many things now found in other browsers. Firefox is a 'stand by' browser which I use for certain things.
I never got on with the Google Chrome browser, Comodo Dragon is also based on it and is claimed to be superior.
I was not happy with Edge and many W10 'phoning home' attributes, but other than that W10 is fine for me.

I know many folks are nervous about data collection by browsers, search engines and web sites but living in the most watched country in the world, apparently, I guess that just another of life's intrusions.

This is what the BHF looks like on my laptop when using Edge. I imported the bookmarks from Chrome and the 'favourites' bar looks normal but have found no way of sorting the list of imported bookmarks which I have displayed on the right. Uploading this image just gave me the little 'carat' sign instead of the image although a preview showed the image was attached. So that's why I'm not using Edge.
~

Attachments

• edge.jpg
    edge.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 23
This is how my Windows 10 desktop.jpgdesktop looks (Similar to Windows 7) This was achieved by installing CLASSIC SHELL https://www.classicshell.net/ after downloading change the title to anything because Microsoft don't like you installing things that they didn't think about, such as my menu.exe Click on start and you have all the items at your fingertips, You will find this easy to use just like an old friend !

Back