• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Typing lag

Smudger

master brummie
There is a infuriating lag between what i type & the words appearing on the document. Anyone know of a fix? I`ve tried a few suggestions via Google search but still no success:-{

This usually happens because the processor is busy doing something else. Start Task Manager (right click on taskbar), select the 'processes' tab, click 'Show Processes from all users' and look at the CPU column to see if anything is using more than a few % of processor time.

Is you computer checking for updates? I had to turn mine off as it was slowing down too much. Run a check once a week. I was experiencing slow typing.

Is you computer checking for updates? I had to turn mine off as it was slowing down too much. Run a check once a week. I was experiencing slow typing.

When I was doing a Google search for a fix to the problem, I remember reading about Firefox updates (had one 5 days ago)causing problems, so I uninstalled Firefox & so far, fingers crossed, the problem seems to have disappeared. Now using Explorer. Think I will also take your advice & turn automatic updates off.

I was referring to Windows Updates. Lots of comments about those slowing systems down. I find Google Chrome browser best but that is just my opinion.

As you are on about technical stuff, can I ask if anyone can give me some help/advice. A few weeks ago I bought a 10.1" tablet from where we do our local shop - don't want to say names in case I shouldn't. My son did whatever you do so I could use it, he put my email account on it, but every time I receive an email from the forum I just cannot get into it. The link is not highlighted to click on, I have tried highlighting the link which is a mission unto itself and not doing any good - and shouting at it doesn't work either!!! so I am still relying on my poor old laptop which is just like me - old, slow, confused and doesn't know what to do.......
with thanks, Chris

Hi Chris,
Perhaps you could test your Tablet by sending an email to yourself which includes the following links and when the email is received, open it and click on each link and see how long each one takes to open the web pages. This would test whether it is only the link to the forum which is slow for you.

https://www.google.co.uk

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/forum.php

If they are both slow in your Tablet, then it could be something in the Tablet settings. You could of course also test the links from your old laptop and see what results you get.

As you are on about technical stuff, can I ask if anyone can give me some help/advice. A few weeks ago I bought a 10.1" tablet from where we do our local shop - don't want to say names in case I shouldn't. My son did whatever you do so I could use it, he put my email account on it, but every time I receive an email from the forum I just cannot get into it. The link is not highlighted to click on, I have tried highlighting the link which is a mission unto itself and not doing any good - and shouting at it doesn't work either!!! so I am still relying on my poor old laptop which is just like me - old, slow, confused and doesn't know what to do.......
with thanks, Chris
There are several possibilities here.
It could be that the email program disables links as a matter of course for security reasons. If that's it, you'll have to change the settings in the email program to stop blocking.
It could be that the email program doesn't recognise the browser for some reason. It may help if you open the browser first.
It could be that the email program just doesn't do that sort of thing. For that you need to change your email program.

Do you know what your tablet operating system is (Windows, Apple, Android), what the browser is, and what the email program is?

On the box it says Android 5.0, Lollipop, I cannot highlight the link, as I go a little way along, it highlights to whole paragraph, I try to move the bubble down to just highlight the link, but I cannot get the hang of it, my kids have tried as well. I will show them your advice about opening the browser first when I see them, as I am not sure what you mean, but will get them to give it a go when I can, Thanks

I get email alerts on my tablet but rarely use the links in emails, I see the list of emails and just open the forum and look at the post which generated the alert.

I'm using a tablet at the moment to post this and just tried from a link in the forum email and found I had to do a very quick light tap on the blue link to open the forum. If I held my finger on the link it offered to copy it etc.

Will you still receive email alerts if you do that and not log in? I thought it might seem as though you are not interested and you would not continue to receive alerts

I receive email alerts whether I am logged in or not logged in. My emails go to my Gmail which forwards it to my iCloud email in my tablet and even when my tablet looks switched off a little 'chime' tells me I've received an email. It even receives emails from the forum when I'm asleep in bed.

Back