• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Rubery Hill Asylum, Birmingam. 1882 - 1901

Jess_1986

proper brummie kid
Hello everyone, I am a new member and would massively appreciate your help and guidance. I am a ‘mature’ student and am currently doing a MA degree on the Victorian period. My dissertation is going to focus on Rubery Hill Hospital; a Victorian Lunatic Asylum which was based just outside central Birmingham and opened on the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1882. It opened because the Birmingham Asylum was suffering from overcrowding and required another site. By the time this asylum was opened, asylums were more regulated and a certain level of care was expected. The asylum could accommodate 600 plus patients and its facilities included outdoor facilities so that patients could take exercise, farm, and garden. In addition, patients were able to go to Church and to the theatre.

Having not researched archives before I am finding things a tad tricky. I aim to create a number of ‘patient narratives’ which present medical history from ‘below’ and give the patient’s side of the story. Also interested in looking at medical history from ‘above’ so staff accounts etc. The archives are certainly plentiful for this asylum, but lacking in things like photographs etc. which I feel bring this sort of work to life!

I would be interested in any advice and guidance from you. I would certainly be interested in hearing from you if you have
- Done any asylum based archival research before and can offer guidance
- Have any information or can sign-post for the Rubery hospital
- Have any relatives (or rather, had) who were either confined in this asylum or worked for this asylum. It would be awesome if anyone had photos or letters of a relative who used to be a patient and would be prepared to let me use the information they have. I would include relevant documents in my dissertation (which I would love to turn into a chapter in a book at some stage). I would track your friend/relative in the archives and create a narrative for them, which I would of course provide you with afterwards.

My dissertation will be available publically on the universities website, so please bear this in mind if you do have anything you would consider passing to me. I will take copies and send you originals back, or you could email me copies? I am a student so cannot offer you a financial incentive for your help, but I will be eternally grateful and would give you a copy of my dissertation afterwards (or at least the relevant part) so that you had a piece of your family history to keep.

Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you all

Jess

Hi Jess, I have a booklet entitled 'Rubery Hill Hospital' a short history, 1882-1982, it has a few photographs in it, if it is of any use I could post it to you, Astonite.RUBERY.jpg

Hi Jess, I have a booklet entitled 'Rubery Hill Hospital' a short history, 1882-1982, it has a few photographs in it, if it is of any use I could post it to you, Astonite.View attachment 99538

Dear Astonite,

Many, many thanks for your response and for this generous offer - it is certainly very much appreciated. My post has had 189 views so far, so feeling positive kind people such as yourself will come forward. I have seen a few posts with people talking about Rubery Hill, but my ask is a fairly big one so I don't want people to think I am hassling them by searching through the forums and responding - or is that how it works?

he booklet certain looks very useful - what a nice piece of Literature to have around. I was at the library earlier and found this exact pamphlet which is available at various libraries across Birmingham. I have ordered myself one to borrow and should have it by the weekend so there is no immediate need to get you to post it. Want to thank you again though it really is a truly generous offer - it was only by chance today that I came across this booklet myself!

All best

Jess

Hello everyone, I am a new member and would massively appreciate your help and guidance. I am a ‘mature’ student and am currently doing a MA degree on the Victorian period. My dissertation is going to focus on Rubery Hill Hospital; a Victorian Lunatic Asylum which was based just outside central Birmingham and opened on the 4[SUP]th[/SUP] January 1882. It opened because the Birmingham Asylum was suffering from overcrowding and required another site. By the time this asylum was opened, asylums were more regulated and a certain level of care was expected. The asylum could accommodate 600 plus patients and its facilities included outdoor facilities so that patients could take exercise, farm, and garden. In addition, patients were able to go to Church and to the theatre.

Having not researched archives before I am finding things a tad tricky. I aim to create a number of ‘patient narratives’ which present medical history from ‘below’ and give the patient’s side of the story. Also interested in looking at medical history from ‘above’ so staff accounts etc. The archives are certainly plentiful for this asylum, but lacking in things like photographs etc. which I feel bring this sort of work to life!

I would be interested in any advice and guidance from you. I would certainly be interested in hearing from you if you have
- Done any asylum based archival research before and can offer guidance
- Have any information or can sign-post for the Rubery hospital
- Have any relatives (or rather, had) who were either confined in this asylum or worked for this asylum. It would be awesome if anyone had photos or letters of a relative who used to be a patient and would be prepared to let me use the information they have. I would include relevant documents in my dissertation (which I would love to turn into a chapter in a book at some stage). I would track your friend/relative in the archives and create a narrative for them, which I would of course provide you with afterwards.

My dissertation will be available publically on the universities website, so please bear this in mind if you do have anything you would consider passing to me. I will take copies and send you originals back, or you could email me copies? I am a student so cannot offer you a financial incentive for your help, but I will be eternally grateful and would give you a copy of my dissertation afterwards (or at least the relevant part) so that you had a piece of your family history to keep.

Thanks in advance and look forward to hearing from you all

Jess

Hi Jess,

I know you will have finished your dissertation as this thread was a few years ago now! I hope you receive this message.

I am adopted (in 1972) and have just been researching my family tree. I have found out some astonishing facts tracing back to the Furlongs of Dublin. My Great Grandfather was Patrick Furlong and he was Irish but came over to England to serve in the British Army in the early 1900s. He ended up in Birmingham and I have just received his death certificate, hence me googling the address to find he was in Rubery Hill. He died from pneumonia and 'general paralysis of the insane', which I had to google also! I am in a bit of shock and saddened, having read about this condition.
I do not know where he is buried. I was wondering if any of your previous research could help me please?

Many kind thanks and regards
Emma

Back