• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New unseen photos with no locations

Agree Phil, not a park. Seems to be a demolition site, houses which have recently been demolished providing the wood for the climbing structure the kids are playing on. There's a pub in the background, maybe M&B and shops either side of it. So we're looking for a parade of shops ? Viv.

Last edited:
Viewfinder

Having paid many a visit to the Blue Boar when it first opened in the 60's, and after four of us as young lads being questioned by the police sleeping in our car at Watford after a pretty raucous weekend in London. I did know the difference is about 50 miles or so in distance. I was just pulling Mikes leg, to be honest I would have thought that living down south as he does that there was more chance that he had visited Watford. There again I would have thought most teenagers in the 60's got themselves down to the Blue Boar at one time or another especially in the early hours of the morning.

Sounds good! When I was at Aston Uni in the early 80s, a friend would occasionally drive us to London for the weekend. Mark was heavily into time-warped roadside architecture, and I recall us pootling along the A5 in his Hillman Minx: we stopped at the remains of the Blue Boar Café near Towcester. It had been demolished and was no more than a big pile of rubble, but Mark rummaged around and unearthed an old menu which he held triumphantly aloft: "Roast beef, 22p! Apple pie 8p! CUSTARD TWO PEE EXTRA!"

Agree Phil, not a park. Seems to be a demolition site, houses which have recently been demolished providing the wood for the climbing structure the kids are playing on. There's a pub in the background, maybe M&B and shops either side of it. So we're looking for a parade of shops ? Viv.

Viv.

During the 70's when they were demolishing parts of Balsall Heath lots of these adventure type playgrounds sprang up. They were usually run by student type people. I think we used to have someone on here who was responsible for running the one at Malvern St. I suppose the kids liked them and it kept the students from hanging around on street corners.

Looking across the road, the scene could possibly be the bottom of Balsall Heath Road on the old Speedway track, but I can see nothing that confirms that thought.

Looking at the photo from a purely demographic viewpoint, the children are predominantly Afro-Caribbean descent, with one white child and one child, I think, of Asian descent. As a very rough indicator of the local population this might narrow it down. Given that most of the children appear to be of Afro-Caribbean descent my first instinct was that this might be around Handsworth. Not a very scientific analysis, I know, just an observation.

And the boys look rather old to be playing on ropes, especially as one is dressed in a suit. It suggests to me this was a publicity photo or a photo to promote a cause perhaps. Viv.

Last edited:
Viv

The Ethnic mix that you point out was pretty much the same for Balsall Heath in the 70's as well. I'm pretty sure that it is in the vicinity of Balsall Heath because as I have said previously there were several of these types of temporary adventure parks in the area, just never one in Calthorpe Park as far as I can remember. Just why would they put one in a park that had facilities for children to play already.

This is the a similar park in Malvern St off Clifton Rd that I have mentioned already, this park eventually became an inner city children's farm, at first glance I thought it might be the same place but it's not for several reasons. The main one being that there were no shops opposite.

Attachments

• Balsall Heath Malvern St.jpg
    Balsall Heath Malvern St.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 76
Here is another unknown, taken on the same film as the 5 in post 410, but immediately after one of the Cato St North brewery, though it very likely may be nowhere near there. Immediately after it there are two unrecognizable shots of derelict buildings with no identifying features, and then one of Gooch St
There are two road nameplates which i cannot discern, but have enlarged that part of the photo in case it helps anyone else.

houses4B.jpg

houses4ApartB.jpg

Last edited:
Mike what was you doing tramping around the old red light district with a camera in your hand, its the junction of Belgrave Rd and Alexandra Rd Balsall Heath. I thought I had already identified this for you at one time?

Mike here is the photo that you took over the road at the junction of St Lukes Rd.

Attachments

• Balsall Heath alexandra rd.corner st lukes rd.jpg
    Balsall Heath alexandra rd.corner st lukes rd.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 41
Sorry Phil. That attribution seems to have got lost. So here are two others. They were on the film immediately after one of the corner of Hingeston st & George St West and one of a corner on Coralie St . I think the two are close, but the second has little in the way of identifying features, but the first , in the background has what looks like it might be a canal building where the roof goes over the canal

20A.jpg

21A.jpg

Mike what was you doing tramping around the old red light district with a camera in your hand, its the junction of Belgrave Rd and Alexandra Rd Balsall Heath. I thought I had already identified this for you at one time?

Mike likes to keep his balls in the air. The orange sphere in post #466 appears to be an inch or two above the pavement.

I was searching around for that modern looking 4 storey building with the pitched roof which shows behind the corner house and stands on the main road. Now Phil has identified the location I can see the 4 storey building on the GE 2001 view but not on the 2003 view. Presumably it was demolished between those dates and a patch of land is up for sale. The only building I can clearly identify is the low building in St Lukes Rd behind the 'Give Way' sign.

Could the building with the pitched roof be the GWR buildings on Pitsford street?
Sorry Phil. That attribution seems to have got lost. So here are two others. They were on the film immediately after one of the corner of Hingeston st & George St West and one of a corner on Coralie St . I think the two are close, but the second has little in the way of identifying features, but the first , in the background has what looks like it might be a canal building where the roof goes over the canal

20A.jpg

21A.jpg

Could the building with the pitched roof be the GWR buildings on Pitsford street?

I think you are correct, if so, you are in George Street West, and Ellen street school (Brookfields) is just on the right of you in the second image.

I think that that is the solution, and that the first photo is definitely the back of the building in the second photo. The (now unreadable) plaques above the alleyways in picture two show that these must lead to courts, which would originally been named or numbered on them., The position of the alleyways to the back courts, together with the closeness of the railway buildings, limits which houses it could be. I have concluded, and would welcome comments, that on the c1955 map below. the buildings illustrated must be either nos 149-155 (fronting court 31 and marked with a red line in front of them) or 145-151 (fronting court 29, and with blue line in front of them). I think 149-155 is the most likely as the rail buildings do seem quite close.

map_c1955_north_end_of_George_St_West_showing_possible_views_in_photo.jpg

Hi mike to give you and others on the map and for a guide on what you are saying
Check the register for pick fords removal offices and there yard listing there number in Pitt Ford street what number of the office which was an house
In that period they kept there heavy iron fairys and cranes for lifting almost directly opersite there office (House ) they had a little yard next to the house for there vans
Which amounted to two it was mainly heavy liffting gear they kept with in the GWR. Yard behind the huge steel gates they had in those days
And it was also the delivery yard for the old GWR Delivery of parcels depot before changing to The BRS par el services and later moved to Rupert street
Nechells off rocky lane Aston when they had big green wagons and in those days at that depot
They Payed
20 quid a night shift for casual workers to load there big lorries day shift got less but you had to know some one whom was working there to get elected
For a job, Astonian,,,,,,,Alan,,,,,

terry thats a cracking pic of pitsford st...for some strange reason i never imagined houses being there...

cheers

lyn

Well spotted Carolina ...
encouragement.png

I was looking in the same area on the 1939 view below but could not be sure whether the buildings I have marked as (2) had those sort of gable ends but your pic confirms they did. I'm now trying to work out from the aerial view where the house was in the first pic in post#469. The house seems fairly close to the gable ends.
Image 1939.JPG

Back