• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Warstone Lane Cemetery

I will look next week, but don't build your hopes up too much. If the memorial is to someone who died in 1928, it would seem unlikely that the kerbs would be earlier - but I'll investigate for you early next week.
Be warned though, section H has had a lot of subsidence in places and when they say 'partly-buried' they could well mean at a crazy angle that will be impossible to investigate properly!

I think the grave in section P is along the Mint Wall and one row forward so it's probably another public grave. It's got overgrown there again but I did pull up a few self-seeded trees last time. Key Hill Brian posted a photo of nearby, P1582 where he had cleared, it's on #297.
rosie.

I have found H 1268 and got some pics which I'll try and put on here later. Thanks for your help with advice to locate it. I'm not having so much luck with the one in section P unfortunately.

Hi folks,
Today I found some references for several people that I believe - hope - are my rellies. Can anybody tell me whether Section P has individual graves, or public graves, or a mixture of both. I plan to visit sometime soon to take a look & photos if I can.

Also would Section B contain burials earlier or later than P, or is it pot luck? I suppose I'm asking whether areas near the entrance were filled first before expanding out to other letters. A then B then C and so on.

Many thanks
Millie

Millie,
P has quite a few private burials - many with headstone remaining, but also has a double row of unmarked, untended Public graves along the wall of the former Mint, and up along the wall that runs uphill from the Mint towards sections A-D.
A-D were the first sections to be used, but graves purchased in them were still being used until quite late, and areas adjacent Warstone Lane itself had extra graves 'squeezed' in later. Again - there are unmarked public graves along the outer wall.
The Birmingham & Midlands Society for Genealogists - www.bmsgh.org photographed the entire Burial Registers, transcribed and computerised them. You can obtain a copy of the Burial Register entry for a small fee, and also the names of others in the grave - telling you if it is Private or Public, and if a Memorial was buried in the 960's - they have the summary of the Inscription noted at the time. email warstonelanecemetery@bmsgh for further info.
Brian

Thanks very much for this info Brian - very helpful. I'll follow up on the website & the email to see what I can find out.

cheers,
Millie

Could I ask so kindly for 'Hannah Archer' burial plot detail,location, St Saviour Church Birmingham buried 21 Jan 1855 Aged 37, Duddeston County Norwich Saletley Aston Juxta' Birmingham'.

Hi midlands,

From the information that you give, it appears that Hannah was buried in the St Saviour graveyard. I had a look around & can't find any listing of the burial plots there. You could try asking the church helpdesk here: https://www.achurchnearyou.com/help/

There is some information and nice photos of St Saviour's here: https://ahistoryofbirminghamchurches.jimdo.com/aston-ss-peter-paul/st-saviour-saltley/

Hope these will be of some help in finding where your lady's final resting place.

I have a little snippet I'd like to share. A man named Jacob Wilson is buried in Warstone Lane Cemetery. After his death the Birmingham Markets and Fairs Committee erected a tombstone over his grave. He had a very long connection with Birmingham's fairs. He was known as 'old Jacob' and was Birmingham's last Town Crier. In 1833 the Street Commissioners instructed the Market Committee to pay an account for his clothing and his wages for attending the fairs. He held the position for over 50 years. I presume then he probably died in about the 1880s. I hope his gravestone is still visible in the Cemetery. Viv.

His grave is still there in Warstone Lane Cemetery Viv. This image of him was posted on the Facebook page by his 5x great granddaughter Joanne Young.

Jacob Wilson.jpg

That's lovely Wendy. Glad it's still there. I like the portrait - must have been highly regarded to have had his portrait done in his uniform - the uniform paid for by the Market Committee (?). There's a bill sticker to the right - "£5 reward" for something "Lost". That must symbolise something to feature in the portrait. A nice piece of Town history.

Thanks also to Leslam for offering to check it out. Viv.

These photo's of Arthur Smith and me, were taken at Key Hill Cemetery open Day in 2005. The late Arthur Smith would dress up as Jacob, to do Ghost Walks around Warstone Lane Cemetery. The centre photo is Jacobs grave at Warstone Lane there was a bell at the base at one time. He was the landlord of The Bell.

Not sure why the other image uploaded separately but it shows Jacob in his uniform.

Arthur Smith and Wendy 2005 edit.jpgs headstone..jpgArthur Smith Key Hill open day 2005.jpg

Attachments

• Jacob Wilson 2.jpg
    Jacob Wilson 2.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 10
Viv
He seems to have died in 1881

B_Post_12_12_1895.jpg

Thanks Wendy and Mike. He must have been literate, as would his ancestors as the role was in the family for centuries. I expect increasing literacy and wider circulation of newspapers put an end to his job. Although I would think there must have been opposition to stopping the use of Criers because a good part of the population would still have been illiterate in the 1880s. Also they alerted the town to fires. So they would have been missed.

Wendy you look a natural in the costume! Lovely photos.

Nice to see he lived to a good age - 83. It seems ironic that he was a Town Crier and ran 'The Bell' pub with a bell being the tool of his Town Crier role. A real pity the bell was removed from his grave. Viv.

Thank you all for the story, I love the way it developed from Viv's "snippet". I shall have a look for the grave next time.
There must be so many stories buried with those gravestones!
rosie.

Many towns retained the roll of town crier, at least nominally. I remember a neighbour in Chichester as town town crier, mace-bearer and caretaker of the assembly rooms. Usually it was an appendage to other jobs. This was so in Birmingham , where he was the also the toll collector. I suppose Birmingham thought it wasn't "modern" to have one. A bit like the denmolition of much of the centre in the 1960s

Here is the death announcement from the Birmingham Daily Post 19th January 1882 for Jacob Wilson - he died 18th January 1882

Attachments

• Jacob Wilson 3.jpg
    Jacob Wilson 3.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 10
warstone-J2297.jpg

Here's the entry for the grave in the Jewellery Quarter Research Trust database. The grave number is J2297

Warstone Lane - J 2297
Erected by the Corporation of Birmingham in remembrance of Jacob WILSON who for 52 years filled the office of Town Crier of this borough. He discharged the duties of his office faithfully. He was born October 10th 1799 and died January 18th 1882. Flat slab: Also In loving memory of Jane Foster¹ the beloved wife of the above Jacob WILSON born February 18th 1804 died January 23rd 1864. Also of Jacob WILSON their eldest son born April 24th 1825 died May 29th 1875. Also of James CLARK grandson of the above born November 25th 1866 died September 6th 1949. Also of Rosina wife of the above born December 9th 1865 died September 26th 1952.Classical style headstone much weathered and some decorative elements missing off triple tier base with associated flat slab vault cover.¹ Indexed as at C: 60 with Foster as a surname

Attaching a map for anyone who wants to view the gravestone.

Thanks Les I hope some will pay him a visit. Your detail map is great.

Wendy, Jacob Wilson was my late aunts g/father....she was so proud of the town criers history and also had for many years the mace pole and other parts of her g/fathers costume in her living room ...the last l heard she donated to a museum...which one l don't know but l know it was in Birmingham....Brenda..my aunts name was Alice Barr nee Wilson

Wendy, Jacob Wilson was my late aunts g/father....she was so proud of the town criers history and also had for many years the mace pole and other parts of her g/fathers costume in her living room ...the last l heard she donated to a museum...which one l don't know but l know it was in Birmingham....Brenda..my aunts name was Alice Barr nee Wilson

How lovely Brenda you certainly have some very interesting and famous people in your family. A member of Facebook told me the mace had been on exhibit at the Birmingham museum and Art Gallery.

Thanks Leslam. Wonder if Jane Foster rang the bell for him; wives of Town Criers sometimes did. Viv.

Thanks for the link Wendy, at last work will start on the Catacombs! This Remembrance Garden is a lovely idea.
rosie.

hopefully someone can help, I have recently gone to Warstone Lane and Keyhill, I have the plot numbers for many relatives whom are buried there (mostly at Warstone Lane) - Although I have a section map and the plots number still very hard to find the resting places I managed to find some plot umbers and worked out where my Great Grandmother is buried and Great Great Grandmother are buried sadly the headstone are no longer there - If nay one has a detailed map of where actually plot number would be greatly appreciated. Mainly for sections B, D, P, O F and G

Back