• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Perry Beeches Secondary School

Hi Wendy, strange, I was certainly in a class with a Charles Jennings. Can't remember now, but I think it was in senior school. Very blond, nice lad, but he should be no older than 64.....

Hello Wendy, No, my name was Mary Partridge (great at English, rubbish at Maths!) and I went around with Cecelia Pitt, Susan Patrick and Lynne Wilson.If you remember there was also a Pauline Thrush! I haven't been back much to Coleraine Road, only to visit my brother once who still lives there!! I only know they have built houses on our lovely field.

I didn't go to Beeches but was just having a look at this thread - I went to Birchfield Junior School with Pauline Thrush and Lyn Wilson and, I think, the Gillian Brown mentioned by Wendy.

Also, I lived in the same road as Pauline Luke - small world!

I can Sympathise as I also suffered at the hands (many times) of the bully of a head. I was good friends with a lad who continually broke the rules but was never punished as he used to help to maintain Mr Edge's car, a standard Vanguard if my memory serves me well. Sorry I can't help with the names of former pupils for the years you mention as I was there from 57 to 60, probably the most traumatic years of my life.

Yes, he seems to have damaged a lot of people. Not a legacy to be proud of! Thank you for your response nickcc101

Best wishes

Great to hear from you. Yes, I thought Partridge. I moved from Coleraine Road to Cliveden Avenue, Perry Barr. Pauline Luke & her brother Peter lived close by. Pauline Thrush lived in Pendragon Road which ran off Cliveden Avenue and Gillian Brown lived opposite her. I remember it so clearly because it was our life before we emigrated. Unfortunately, Gillian wouldn't speak to me when we left. Just kids stuff of course. I'd love to catch up with her but have never managed to track her down. I went to UK in 1981 and saw Susan Hampshire. She was older than me. In Cliveden Avenue there was also Pauline Ross who had a baby at sixteen. She was in what they called Intermediate Class. I lived in Hastings for 12 months 1988, back again this July. If there are any reunions planned let me know. They have plenty of them here but I don't go because I've moved around. Perry Beeches is the only solid time.

Hi Wendy, I've only ever heard of 1 reunion and that was years ago and for some reason I couldn't make it. You could perhaps check on Friends Reunited. I used to be on it but no more. I managed to find out that Andrew Hough had fancied me though!! You might like to know that Perry Beeches is now apparently thought of as one of the best schools in the area. It has one of those charismatic headteachers that makes all the difference. Hope your July visit goes well. We are off to France to celebrate our Ruby Wedding!!!! Mary

Wow that photo of the field takes me back. We moved to Coleraine Road about 1954 when I was 2 years old. I had a sister Pauline who would've been around 15 and my brother Alan was about 9. My sister was engaged to Alan Dunstone at one stage but that didn't work out. We lived next door to the Millington's. Hibbert's lived the other side. One of the old neighbours, Mrs Wiseman visited my mother in Australia a few years ago.

Hi Wendy.....I was at Beeches 62/67.....Was in 1A Where Gordon Newell was the teacher....On another site his son posted that he passed away a few years ago......I also contacted Mr Linnel......I now live on Phillip Island Vic Aust,,,,,Regards David

Lucky you, Philip Island! We were there last Xmas. Be funny if we walked pass each other! I'm guessing you emigrated with your parents after me, 1967? Funny how your life changes completely. Thanks for the message.

I remember miss doogood , I was in miss Best`s class and do you remember the large enamel jugs and plastic cups for our hot cocoa in the mornings, my later class was with mr Francis who`s catchphrase was " you have been warned you will be warmed "reference to being caned .

Hi Simmo, I remember the hot cocoa, but I thought that was Junior school. Maybe not then. Don't remember Mr Francis, I can't have been taught by him,but strangely I do remember the saying you mention. Teachers who taught me were: Miss Doogood, Mr Linnell, Mr Everleigh, Miss Crawford,Mr Newell, Mr Cauldicott, Miss Lloyd, Mr Jones, Mr Evans, Mr Varty, and the fantastic Mr P J McShane. Can't remember the D.S. or P.E names. Oh yes, and there was a horrible needlework teacher called Baker I think.

Best wishes
Mary

You've got a good memory. I remember those teachers now. Mary, were you in the Brownies? I think I may have a photo of you.

Hi Wendy, yes I was a Seconder Gnome! Then I left and instead of "flying up" to the Guides as it was known, I went to dancing school near the Clifton Cinema. Were you in the Brownies then? Would love to see your photo. The ties were a pain to get right as I remember!
Mary

Hi Mary, you are right It was infants, my friend Craig because of his size was sent by Mr McShane regularly to cottage stores to get his capstan full strength cigarettes and to put a bet on the horses, can you imagine that today, Miss Lloyd singing lessons, Mr Linnell for geography, Jones and Evans science and Mr Varty for art, Mr Cauldicot used to strike fear with his liberal use of the cane, what memories that brings back. Best wishes, Graham.

Ha, I can just imagine Mr McShane doing that! He seemed absolutely ancient to us didn't he? Always (it appeared to me) in the same three-piece chocolate brown suit with pocket watch and chain/ He had a bit of shakiness to him do you remember - might have been the fags I suppose!
Mary

My wife attended Perry Beeches and walked from Spouthouse Lane each day with her sister. Rosemarie and Sheila Bishop.
I, even thou its 49 years ago, remember the Spouthouse lot. Your wife Pauline? Neighbours John Osborne? And Linda and Ann Berry?
I have a school photo from 1965 but no idea how to ' upload' to this site. H

Yes......I attended Perry Beeches S C. 1962/67... Two years later the family moved to Melbourne Aust.
It is with fondness i remember Harold Edge...Arthur Caldicott. Miss LLoyde..Gordon Newell....Mr Evans....
Mr Everleigh...Mr Varty...Colin Clews (yuk) Mr Ford...Mr Siddiqui...Miss Hann... and the Welsh music teacher.
Miss Knox was something secreterial and rarely sighted unless you were near the vestibule..

Memories are such warm things!
It is with less than fond I remember Beeches in 62 63. I do remember you. Milk drinker!? Clews the prat? Do you recall in both those years I was knocked unconscious and suffered concussion? He was sacked the second time. How you doing in Aus?

Hello HarryR,
Brings back memories all those teachers names etc.
I was in the same class as Rosemarie Bishop and I think my brother went out with her sister Sheila.
Also remember Ann and Linda Berry.

Oh yes, I remember watching "The Vikings". Fabulous choice of film for us. "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea" another year - somebody must have liked Kirk Douglas!

As I remember, there was absolutely no sex education - but I do remember dissecting an earthworm!
Ah yes the Vickings! I was in the B stream till 4th year. Harry Richardson. Mates.. Richard Board , Claridge, Royston Lambert, Pete Espin and more!!

Welcome Harry and Pash. Harry, a quick guide to uploading photos to the site from Phil posted today is below. Viv.

image.jpeg

Amazing how these memories stay with us......
Mr Newell anounced to the class that i was not the type he wanted in his class because i,d come 33rd out of 34.
(Sure did a lot for ones self esteem and confidence which at 12 i lacked)
Mr Ford..Woodwork also demonstrated my coat rack announcing to the class the gaps in the ill fitting joints were where the flies hid in winter......
Were we not all just Bricks in the Wall?
I remember John Ford. He had a green mini estate he only just fitted into .

Hello HarryR,
Brings back memories all those teachers names etc.
I was in the same class as Rosemarie Bishop and I think my brother went out with her sister Sheila.
Also remember Ann and Linda Berry.
What's your name? Is there a reason people don't use real names?

Hi Wendy, strange, I was certainly in a class with a Charles Jennings. Can't remember now, but I think it was in senior school. Very blond, nice lad, but he should be no older than 64.....
Correct. I was in your class. Harry Richardson. No longer 64!!

The Forum was hacked a few years ago and many of the photo's were removed. Usually when you see "view attachment " the photo was removed by the hacker. The Forum mods and some members are trying to replace many of these missing photos but some of the original posters are no longer members.

I remember Mr Edge wearing tweed jackets, and those cold lessons in the afore mentioned huts.
I attended Beeches Secondary School between 1954 and 1959. Mr. Peter John McShane, MA, was my form teacher for 2 years. He was very strict, but a good teacher. I met up with him again in 1966, near the Scott Arms, and related events since I left school. I am now 73 years old, retired and living in Texas!

I wonder if you recognize yourself, or know anyone, on this picture. I've named some which I remember, but I apologize if I have mis-named anyone. People who attended Beeches Secondary in the 1950s and 1960s will remember Mr. McShane.

Attachments

• Beeches School - Upper 3a - 1957 - a.jpg
    Beeches School - Upper 3a - 1957 - a.jpg
    854 KB · Views: 46
  • Beeches School - Upper 3a 1958 or sharper - b with descriptions.jpg
    Beeches School - Upper 3a 1958 or sharper - b with descriptions.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
Back