• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New unseen photos with no locations

Phil
You probably got it from the forum, as I have put it on before, but forgot I took a second one immediately after.
I have now modified the entries for the two photographs on the 1969-73 thread, now they have been identified.

Well done all. Just signed in and missed out on all the action - again - today. You lot have been very busy! Thanks also to Alan (Astonian) for your Newbury's memories. Just a few photos so far and we're all much wiser for it. Thanks Lyn and Mike, this is a great thread. Viv.

Just another confirmation, this is the building in 1957 when it was still in use, next door to what was to become to the Moathouse Club,

Attachments

• Digbeth Bradford St Moathouse Club Building 1957.JPG
    Digbeth Bradford St Moathouse Club Building 1957.JPG
    176.8 KB · Views: 148
I guess the meat market was pretty close to the Drovers Arms. That area of the city was not one I ventured often. I recalled seeing an old 'photo, on this site I am sure, of sheep being driven in Bradford Street.

well viv it helps keep the little grey cells ticking over...will post my next photo after i have sorted dinner out...wont be that long..

here is my next one folks..this does have a side st or road name to it but i cant make it out..

Attachments

• img935.jpg
    img935.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 227
Lyn

It's the corner of Bromsgrove St & Pershore St opposite where they built the Silver Blades.

Definitely looks like Pershore St written on the road sign leading off to the right. Viv.

Lyn

Here one looking the other way.

Attachments

• City brosgrove street and pershore street 195...[1].jpg
    City brosgrove street and pershore street 195...[1].jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 155
A pic on the forum here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=38737&p=488565#post488565
Shows the Sunbeam Grates shop
index.php

Last edited:
Confirmation. Pub with chimney still there on Bromsgrove Street. Just about the only recognisable building. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    175 KB · Views: 85
crikey that was quick..how it has changed..ive got my bearings now...thanks phil and phil..you are just like a double act lol.. thanks to you also viv

its over to mike for the next one...

crikey that was quick..how it has changed..ive got my bearings now...thanks phil and phil..you are just like a double act lol.. thanks to you also viv

its over to mike for the next one...
We were all on our marks on the starting line and Phil made the quickest start ...
eagerness.png

Whatever deal they're trying to strike, they're giving it some very serious thought. Think the man with his back to the camera has something in his hands. Reins maybe? And yes Phil, Mr Shifty looks like he doesn't want to be caught on camera. Maybe the discussion was about something not strictly legit. The horses look a bit thin to me, not very well nourished. Viv.

Last edited:
what a smashing photo of the drovers arms northfield..thanks for sharing it

lyn

Thanks Mohawk. I was just responding to a request by Astoness. You could have reposted at that point. Shan't bother again.

Hi Northfield
I also have another picture of the Drovers Arms which as a slightly different one with women and what appears to be
The old high prams selling there goods out side the Drovers Arms and it is definitely the same pub and building as I have them in front of me comparing
And it is listed as 346 Bradford Street on the corner of Smithfield street in the vicinity of the meat market
Stating this photograph was taken in 1901., And the manager 1, A F Green, 2., Mrs A Green, joint mangers
Best wishes Astonian,,, Alan,,,,

The next one won't go so quickly. In fact I think no-one will probably manage to identify it. It was taken on a roll of film between a series of photos of Jamaica Row and a couple of Meriden St.

30A_~0.jpg

crikey mike not a lot of clues on this one then lol....still we shall give it our best shot..

lyn

The dark intrusion in the top left corner is either an awning or the photographer was shooting from waist-level and has managed to capture the end of his tie. OK, since this game is fiercely competitive, I'll get in early with an educated guess: New Canal Street.

The dark intrusion in the top left corner is either an awning or the photographer was shooting from waist-level and has managed to capture the end of his tie. OK, since this game is fiercely competitive, I'll get in early with an educated guess: New Canal Street.

morning viewfinder all the photos that mikejee is putting on were taken by him but he does not know exactly where so we have to be sure.. unless someone can actually remember where these building were i think this one could be difficult

lyn

morning viewfinder all the photos that mikejee is putting on were taken by him but he does not know exactly where so we have to be sure.. unless someone can actually remember where these building were i think this one could be difficult

lyn

Extremely difficult. I got the A to Z out and tried to imagine mikejee's route between Jamaica Row and Meriden Street. The advertising hoardings indicate that it's a bit more than a minor side-street. As oldMohawk says, that does look like a public convenience - though slightly odd that it's not signed. Perhaps unlikely to be Allison Street, which was (still is?) provided with a pissoir under the railway arches screened by iron panels.

That was just off the corner of meriden street walking down from new annal street heading towards digbeth it was the last exit on your right hand
Heading from digbeth at the traffic lights you turn on to meriden and start walking up meriden street on your left about three hundred yards
This little building you see is just right by the first tunnel you come to and the exit of a little cut in of a what I think was a road in its hey day
Its definitely meriden street my grand parents was number 1 new canal street digbeth and I passed this little corner and that building you think is a toilet
On my way down from the house and coffee shop they was another coffee shop across the road from this corner building and there was another little red facing that building this coffee shop later in years was called ocean tide or so think of that wording
It was painted out side in very bright blue waves of sea blue and other colours but that's where the building was
When I was a kid down there every Sunday morning passing this building I queeried it myself way back in 1950 As to what it could have been
That being the toilet look alike but the big black mark I cannot say. Astonian,,,,

Mike

Its the toilets at the rear of the Dovers arms in what used to be Smithfield St. If you look at your large picture of the Drovers that I put up you can see the toilets and the hoardings.

Last edited:
Mike

Its the toilets at the rear of the Dovers arms in what used to be Smithfield St. If you look at your large picture of the Drovers that I put up you can see the toilets and the hoardings.

phil what post is the large pic that you put up on...cant find it..

lyn

Last edited:
I can assure that ain't the drovers pub if any think the word drovers yes because the two bridges on meriden street and it changes to new canal street
Were the holding bridges for the cattle that came to brum over the week end before being driven along the road to the Hide And skin yard
Further down on new canal street that if any think would have been a toilet for these guys and secondly
As I have said that building which we are referring to as a toilet may have been the booking in of the cattle when they was unloaded
For the drivers whom in those days booked in to the B/B bed and breakfast at the transport cafe my grand
Parents ran and owned and my mother was brought up in and right next door to the hide and skin yard and also the yard of typhoon tea,s
We had a little gate in the back of the cafe ( cafes back yard ) which you walked into both yards emeciatiatly typhoon, and walk ten yards into
Hide and skin itself yard
But getting back to the building as I said the photographer lined himself up to the building at an angle and as I said that particular corner
At the remediate side of the building where the black mark is that was a different name and was blacked out in those days
And as I say that particular corner was an L shape turn of the building joined together on that particular corner had he emedciatedly turn end
Himself around he could have taken a picture of the entrance of another section of the Penn's for what other animals they had
Because they housed cows and sheep and pigs in those arches of the bridges
But it was not the back of the drovers because as I have said you would be able to walk past that. Block and the little passage of a very short distance
You was behind the digbeth police station and when you was walking through and turned left walk the same distance back and you would be by there
Rear yard of entrance and there police yard went right back in far back as that building as they had garages and offices there and outer building
Below ground and supplies stores and if you was one of the poor people of the mail Christmas fund tree
And you went to get your boots and clothing you would recall just how big that place was Astonian,,,,,,,,

Back