• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

New unseen photos with no locations

mike i have just checked my 1969/70 kellys and it says woodward and spektor ltd at no 41 lichfield road..here is catherine st...(which we see on your map )no 43/47 newbury fine furnishings then it jumps to no 59 indicating there were houses to the left which there are i also think that we are not seeing all of nos 43 to 47 looks like part of it to the right has been knocked about a bit and demolished so the corner with catherine st is not in shot...so yes i would say it is lichfield road...the cinema we see on your map is the aston cross picture house..

lyn

Last edited:
Mike,

Both the map and Kelly's put the building on the corner of Catherine Street, the photo doesn't show that. They did have other premises out Sutton way, but you didn't get that far out did you?

mike i have just checked my 1969/70 kellys and it says woodward and spektor ltd at no 41 lichfield road..here is catherine st...(which we see on your map )no 43/47 newbury fine furnishings then it jumps to no 59 indicating there were houses to the left which there are i also think that we are not seeing all of nos 43 to 47 looks like part of it to the right has been knocked about a bit and demolished so the corner with catherine st is not in shot...so yes i would say it is lichfield road...the cinema we see on your map is the aston cross picture house..

lyn

Pretty certain they're houses to the left as they have aeriels. To the right of Newbury's there's another dropped kerb like the one in front of the gateway. Suggests there must have been a commercial activity going on there - so, yes Lyn, could have also been part of Newbury's. Viv.

i think so viv...by the 1970s which is when mike took the photo there was a lot of demo going on..i reckon to the right of mikes photo showing the advert boarding was part of the newbury building at the corner with catherine st which of course we cant see..

Last edited:
Lyn your photograph is over the road in Portland street they had a factory there servicing and making carpet sweepers

Lyn your photograph is over the road in Portland street they had a factory there servicing and making carpet sweepers

hi john do you mean the photo of newburys...so it is not taken on the lichfield road then ??

lyn

he certainly has phil..think i will give up this game i totally got it wrong lol...so mike your photo was taken in portland st newburys carpet services and as an added bonus gingerjon (john houghton to those who know him) has just sent me this cracking pic of newburys on the lichfield road at the corner with catherine st...many thanks john you are a star..

Attachments

• Lichfield Road No 41 Aston Newburys 12-2-1954.jpg
    Lichfield Road No 41 Aston Newburys 12-2-1954.jpg
    736.5 KB · Views: 229
well done lynne thats another one sorted...its over to mike for the next one..

I always liked Ludgate Hill, first discovered when I was exploring the city in the early 80s - the sudden tranquillity away from the centre, dipping perhaps to a subterranean stream, then rising gently to St Paul's church and Square. There used to be a good old pub, St Paul's Tavern, on the right of the rise in the photo - and I was disappointed to see that it had gone when I revisited old haunts in 2013: now an Italian restaurant, if I recall correctly.

I always liked Ludgate Hill, first discovered when I was exploring the city in the early 80s - the sudden tranquillity away from the centre, dipping perhaps to a subterranean stream, then rising gently to St Paul's church and Square. There used to be a good old pub, St Paul's Tavern, on the right of the rise in the photo - and I was disappointed to see that it had gone when I revisited old haunts in 2013: now an Italian restaurant, if I recall correctly.

hi viewfinder i have a pic of st pauls tavern if you like i will post it on the pubs thread for you

lyn

There is a pic of the St Pauls Tavern in a post here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=34394&p=450991#post450991 guess who posted it ....
friendly_wink.png

Back