• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

New unseen photos of brum

Lyn

You have got some really good photos there, and not all just the usual sightseers snaps, but some rarely seen photos of areas of Birmingham that I have never seen on photo before. I can't wait to see the rest.

hi phil well that is praise indeed coming from someone who has more old photos that i do lol..joking apart i must say how chuffed i am that our members are really getting stuck into these photos..challenging locations and wondering what that building was etc..it all goes a long way to learning about birmingham past...many thanks also to everyone who has posted their memories..this is what we want on the forum...have sifted through all the photos again and i have about another 25 with locations...just going to start scanning them..we could have some fun with the ones with no locations at a later date...

lyn

Last edited:
Whats this bloke up to here in the second photo post #89 ?

Attachments

• img904[1].jpg
    img904[1].jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 164
well i dont know what you are thinking phil but he looks like hes taking a box out of a bag on the floor..

Lyn

It looks as if he is pouring something onto the floor to me.

ahh yes phil i think you are right there...to be honest i have not had time to take closer looks at these photos but i will do in detail once i have finished posting them all..just finished scanning the next lot will put them on asap..

Thanks Janice, Lyn and Mike. This must have been the second Children's Hospital - from memory I think there was an early one in Temple Row (?) but demand outgrew the size of the building. The Upper Priory building looks substantial. Big.

Whats this bloke up to here in the second photo post #89 ?

Wondering if he's a flower seller pouring away water from flower buckets. There's a fruit stall behind him, often fruit and flowers were sold by the same people - wholesalers often handled both, so retailers did too. Just a thought. Viv.

boots taken from top of snow hill

This is a beauty Lyn. I found it hard to get my head around it at first because Bull St now starts further down (I think) - that must be Greys with the 'Sale' sign up. It's pre-Ring Road days and shows that whole sections of streets disappeared to make way for the new road system. The other reason I like it is there's a 29a bus in shot. Waited at the 29a stop outside Greys for many years (no not for a bus to arrive, they were very frequent!). On a Saturday night this is where you could pick up a Sunday Mercury (which we used to call the 'Spuddy Murphy' 'cos the vendor didn't pronounce it too clearly), a Ted's Ot Dog - or a pie from the van on Snow Hill. Then jump on the night service bus, top deck, eat your food, read your paper and have a fag - very comfortable journey home. Sophisticated or what?!! Viv.

This is a beauty Lyn. I found it hard to get my head around it at first because Bull St now starts further down (I think) - that must be Greys with the 'Sale' sign up. It's pre-Ring Road days and shows that whole sections of streets disappeared to make way for the new road system. The other reason I like it is there's a 29a bus in shot. Waited at the 29a stop outside Greys for many years (no not for a bus to arrive, they were very frequent!). On a Saturday night this is where you could pick up a Sunday Mercury (which we used to call the 'Spuddy Murphy' 'cos the vendor didn't pronounce it too clearly), a Ted's Ot Dog - or a pie from the van on Snow Hill. Then jump on the night service bus, top deck, eat your food, read your paper and have a fag - very comfortable journey home. Sophisticated or what?!! Viv.

glad you like it viv and thanks for your memories as well...do you know sometimes i find myself wishing i was born just a few years before i was so that had memories of the city centre before a lot of it was either changed or demolished...still never mind we have photos and i am learning all the time...

thanks viv....

Last edited:
oops please ingnore my last post..promise i have not been drinking lol...seem to have a large gap before my reply...

childrens_hospital_1908.jpg
I'm not sure if this helps or hinders - this postcard is postmarked 1908 and shows the Children's Hospital in Broad St. Looking at the potted history on the Children's hospital site, this seems to have been the isolation building.
https://www.bch.nhs.uk/corporate/our-history

The building in this postcard later became the Orthapaedic. I understood that the Children's moved from here straight to the one on Ladywood Road - now Ladywood Middleway

ok folks this is the last of them..enjoy

the old royal which was changed to victoria bar

Attachments

• img930.jpg
    img930.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 87
hurst st..on the right is the crown on the corner of station st..looking up is hill st

Attachments

• img907.jpg
    img907.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 126
brooks saddles the end of gt charles st and livery st

Attachments

• img910.jpg
    img910.jpg
    246.5 KB · Views: 98
white horse corner of congreve and edmund st

Attachments

• img911.jpg
    img911.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 80
bull ring from st martins...top left is market hall

Attachments

• img912.jpg
    img912.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 126
loveday st...salvation army mens hostel..bottom left greeners gunmakers..top left general hospital

Attachments

• img920.jpg
    img920.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 116
Back